General Advice

Miracle

General Advice

Postby Miracle » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:40 pm

I need some advice. I'm having hard time memorizing what I read-studied, and I'm heavily concerned about this, now that I will be entering Law school. I know some of you might say it's a burnout but its not. Even when I haven't studied a lot I will go and read ex. Chapter 1 of LR Bible, and I cannon remember the concepts. I studied 1year+ for my LSAT, and was significantly disadvantaged by this problem. If I put in the time ad effort, why can't I get the results?

lovejopd

Re: General Advice

Postby lovejopd » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:24 pm

Miracle wrote:I need some advice. I'm having hard time memorizing what I read-studied, and I'm heavily concerned about this, now that I will be entering Law school. I know some of you might say it's a burnout but its not. Even when I haven't studied a lot I will go and read ex. Chapter 1 of LR Bible, and I cannon remember the concepts. I studied 1year+ for my LSAT, and was significantly disadvantaged by this problem. If I put in the time ad effort, why can't I get the results?

I think because you do not fully understand or internalize the concepts as you read through it. If you have a problem with reading materials, pay special attention (Consciously) to what you are reading. It would be a good idea that you jot down a memo "paragraph by paragraph" in one or a couple of sentences. You can see if you understand and summarize what you read a few minutes ago. I think practice makes perfect. So do not lose hope for studying LSAT.

Cheers! :shock:

HTH

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:32 pm

lovejopd wrote:
Miracle wrote:I need some advice. I'm having hard time memorizing what I read-studied, and I'm heavily concerned about this, now that I will be entering Law school. I know some of you might say it's a burnout but its not. Even when I haven't studied a lot I will go and read ex. Chapter 1 of LR Bible, and I cannon remember the concepts. I studied 1year+ for my LSAT, and was significantly disadvantaged by this problem. If I put in the time ad effort, why can't I get the results?

I think because you do not fully understand or internalize the concepts as you read through it. If you have a problem with reading materials, pay special attention (Consciously) to what you are reading. It would be a good idea that you jot down a memo "paragraph by paragraph" in one or a couple of sentences. You can see if you understand and summarize what you read a few minutes ago. I think practice makes perfect. So do not lose hope for studying LSAT.

HTH

I already took my LSAT, and did well 170+. My LSAT was just an example because it took me over a year to get the material down. I'm having these problems in classes on a every day basis. I will "study" a chapter and will not memorize anything. When I say study I mean re-read the chapter up to 4 times, write out the concepts, and still not able to get out of it what I need.

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:42 pm

Miracle wrote:
lovejopd wrote:

HTH

I already took my LSAT, and did well 170+. My LSAT was just an example because it took me over a year to get the material down. I'm having these problems in classes on a every day basis. I will "study" a chapter and will not memorize anything. When I say study I mean re-read the chapter up to 4 times, write out the concepts, and still not able to get out of it what I need.

Sorry for misunderstanding. Anyway congrats on your awesome score! Do not too much worry about retaining information after you read it. I also had a similar concern because I was quite frustrated that I could "not" remember "anything" from a class where I got A+ one semester later. This is why (I guess) strong emphasis is placed on making an "good outline" in a law school so that you can keep retaining heavy information without reading materials over and over again(Impossible to read the chapter up to 4 times I bet in a law school)...Memory fades away. It's natural...You got 170. You can succeed in study in a law school as long as you study your ass off! Good night :P

Kurst

Postby Kurst » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:59 pm

You may want to ask your fellow law school students this question in the Forum for Law School Students.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”