Any quick last minute tips for "rule substitution" Qs in LG?

justbubbles

Any quick last minute tips for "rule substitution" Qs in LG?

Postby justbubbles » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:53 pm

You know... those really annoying very last question (in some sequencing/grouping games) that stumps you... rule substitution has got to be the worst type of Q's in recent LGs!!! :twisted: Grrr

Kabuo

Re: Any quick last minute tips for "rule substitution" Qs in LG?

Postby Kabuo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:13 pm

This is a pretty obvious pointer, but in case anyone isn't already doing it, do these last, no matter what order the questions are in. By doing the other 5-6 questions, you're getting comfortable with the game. You can start to see which rules are the most limiting and how they affect certain variables more than others.

Verity

Postby Verity » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:22 pm

The best way is to, at the beginning, Identify the Possibilities. Sets that include this question typically are constructed to make this reasonably acheivable. Once you do that, at the end of the set attempt to answer the "rule substitution" question by writing the Possibilities of each new rule into the diagram, or by just doing this mentally (which is much faster). If there is no change to the Possibilities, then that answer choice is correct.

Also, start with E. Most of the time they do put the right answer in C, D or E to make you waste time.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:45 pm

Here's at least one good discussion of these: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=117641

Kurst

Postby Kurst » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:10 pm

And if you find tom's thread insufficient: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=137711

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:08 am

Kurst wrote:And if you find tom's thread insufficient: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=137711

Ah, thank you! That's the thread that I'm always looking for but can't find. That's where I give my reasonably finished explanation of what I think of those questions (as compared to the developing explanation in the previous topic).

I do want to point out that PT 59's version of this question did almost exactly the same thing as PT 57's version, except with a small extra twist. I haven't gotten around to PT 61 or 62, so I can't say about those.

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:15 am

I'd say rule change questions are about 50/50 easy/hard. Half the time, they're just trying to scare you into guessing. The December test had one that was just a bluff. It was easy. Don't let the rule changer scare you. Evaluate whether it is actually a hard/time consuming question or not. If hard, guess an answer and come back later if you still have time.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”