Logic Games Powerscore Bible or practice? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
mac35352

Bronze

Logic Games Powerscore Bible or practice?

Post by mac35352 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:12 pm

Hello again!
Three weeks into my study and I can already see and feel a huge improvement. I got both PS bibles (LR and LG) plus all the preptests I could find.
The LR bible is fantastic, and it's helping me figure out my weaknesses on this section of the test. Now the games I have pretty much figured out on my own. I can get them all correct (except for 3 wrong on preptest 7 which had a very confusing game) but the timing it's a big factor. One game takes me anywhere from 11 to 18 minutes, so I obviously need to figure out what to do. I'm not sure if using the LG bible is a good idea or if it will confuse me instead of help me.
Should I stick to my method of thinking and see if with practice timing improves or learn the methods on the bible and expect a significant time improvement once I learn the new methods? I acknowledge that I will have to devote time to the games one way or the other but what do you recommend?

Kurst

Bronze

Re: Logic Games Powerscore Bible or practice?

Post by Kurst » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:24 pm

mac35352 wrote:Should I stick to my method of thinking and see if with practice timing improves or learn the methods in the bible and expect a significant time improvement

mac35352

Bronze

Post by mac35352 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:32 pm

Kurst wrote:
mac35352 wrote:Should I stick to my method of thinking and see if with practice timing improves or learn the methods in the bible and expect a significant time improvement
Thanks.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:33 pm

If it's taking you 11-18 minutes to finish games you need to go back to the fundamentals. The LG bible will help you build a solid strategy so I suggest you work through it and drill the relevant game types according to each section of the bible. After you complete the bible print off 3 copies of each LG section (as many sections as you think you can complete depending on time constraints). Time yourself doing the section with a stopwatch and write your final time at the top of each page and number right/wrong (do not sacrifice your accuracy to go faster, you will focus on getting faster the second and third time you take the section). Giving yourself a week or two in between each time you repeat the same section, continue to time yourself with a stopwatch and record the time and number of answers right/wrong. Try to develop personalized strategies to get faster and more consistent with each section. The time it takes you to complete LG sections should decrease substantially and will carry over to the full length PT sections that you take.

By reading through the bible and by using the method above for drilling you should be able to develop a very solid LG score.
Last edited by Jack Smirks on Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:37 pm

naterj wrote:If it's taking you 11-18 minutes to finish games you need to go back to the fundamentals. The LG bible will help you build a solid strategy so I suggest you work through it and drill the relevant game types according to each section of the bible. After you complete the bible print off 3 copies of each LG section (as many sections as you think you can complete depending on time constraints). Time yourself doing the section with a stopwatch and write your final time at the top of each page and number right/wrong (do not sacrifice time for accuracy). Giving yourself a week or two in between each time you repeat the same section, continue to time yourself with a stopwatch and record the time and number of answers right/wrong. Try to develop personalized strategies to get faster and more consistent with each section. The time it takes you to complete LG sections should decrease substantially and will carry over to the full length PT sections that you take.

By reading through the bible and by using the method above for drilling you should be able to develop a very solid LG score.
Bolded is critical. A lot of students underestimate the value of redoing games. There is no better way to solidify game techniques

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mac35352

Bronze

Post by mac35352 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:45 pm

thank you. The bible it is.
Question about redoing the games: how long should I wait to go back to them? Is this a good strategy to improve timing?

DarkPhantom

Bronze

Post by DarkPhantom » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:02 pm

i'd say every 1-1 1/2 weeks. as long as you're doing others to not remember the answers...but usually, once you do a game thorougly once, its stuck in your head. (atleast it should be)

EarlCat

Silver

Post by EarlCat » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:00 pm

I doesn't matter if you remember the answers. You're not redoing them to get a new score or to see if you can get the questions right. You're redoing them to recognize the patterns that show up on test after test. This type of rule gives you this type of deduction. This type of question usually means considering this before answering. This type of game tends to contain this type of restriction. And on and on.

The point you want to get to is where every new game you see reminds you of an old game that you already know like the back of your hand.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”