FEB LSAT cold feet! hold off til June?

wardy007
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:41 pm

FEB LSAT cold feet! hold off til June?

Postby wardy007 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:01 pm

I started my preparation back in October and was planning on taking the Feb test. I have a 3.19 LSAC gpa and am testing in the mid to high 150's. I took the Kaplan course and it helped with confidence in LG, but didn't really feel any other significant improvements
**$1300 flushes down the toilet**

Any way, last weekend I really was irritable about this test and have been really considering NOT taking the test on Saturday even though I have paid the fees. I'm thinking I would rather push until June to really get down flaw and strenthen/weaken in LR. my RC is suffering due to time pressures. in fact, a lot of my issues are the timing and the freak out. EXCEPT LG because I have worked those really hard and feel like I'm comfortable with most of them..finally :)

so my question is:

Do I go in on Saturday feeling slightly uncomfortable for a dry run and possibly suffer a bad score. or low and behold, pull a sweet score?

Do I forego this test and push myself til June?

other factors and background:

I wouldnt say that i'm shooting for a T14 or anything, probably Denver University. But I am looking at optimally scoring mid to high 160s. I want good scholarship money. I'm not fresh out of college and have pretty great softs. small business owner, strong resume, and currently work in the insurance industry with personal injury attorneys.

advice someone please!!!!

wardy007
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:41 pm

Re: FEB LSAT cold feet! hold off til June?

Postby wardy007 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:05 pm

I guess my main question is if I test subpar for FEB and then have improvement in June, is it ultimately better to have 2 scores or just one decent one?!??!

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: FEB LSAT cold feet! hold off til June?

Postby northwood » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:10 pm

wardy007 wrote:I guess my main question is if I test subpar for FEB and then have improvement in June, is it ultimately better to have 2 scores or just one decent one?!??!


obviously you want to have one great score. You dont seem comfortable or ready for the test- so id go with an absence. ( that way you still have 3 tests you can sign up for). Focus on LR and RC, and keep practicing LG, and take the test in JUne. The feb test is non disclosed, so you wont know where your mistakes are. June, October, and December are all disclosed. If you dont like your June test- review and drill your weaknesses over the summer and take the October exam. USe the time waiting for the june test to get your personal statement started and start seeing what schools you want to apply to. If you like the score- then get everything ready ( its easier to get LORS from college professors during hte semester- and LORs take a while) Then apply as early as you can. If you dont like the result- then study over the summer.and as soon as you are done with the october exam- send in the apps. If you dont like the score in october- study for december( its still early enough since your apps are allready in).

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: FEB LSAT cold feet! hold off til June?

Postby bport hopeful » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:20 pm

I would not go for the following reasons:

You arent ready to reach your goals if your PTs are lower than where youd like to score. You will likely score on the lower side of your PTs (not necessarily but this is a popular trend).

Secondly, you will either have to apply to schools without knowing your actual score or shortly after receiving your score (since most deadlines are 3/1) or youll have to wait for next cycle. In the latter scenario, most schools dont even accept apps until september so you might as well take the june test and be better prepared.

Finally, the LSAT is stressful enough when you do feel prepared. I went in well prepared but had a nerve problem and made a huge mistake that cost be about 4 points. I would suggest not taking the test without optimal circumstances, which you make it seem like will not be the case.

Question: what cycle are you planning on?

wardy007
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:41 pm

Re: FEB LSAT cold feet! hold off til June?

Postby wardy007 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:27 pm

northwood:

I already have my transcripts in. my lor's are in and my ps is almost complete. i am not currently in school, i work full time. but yes, i'm thinking the earlier in the app process, the better.

wardy007
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:41 pm

Re: FEB LSAT cold feet! hold off til June?

Postby wardy007 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:28 pm

bport hopeful wrote:I would not go for the following reasons:

You arent ready to reach your goals if your PTs are lower than where youd like to score. You will likely score on the lower side of your PTs (not necessarily but this is a popular trend).

Secondly, you will either have to apply to schools without knowing your actual score or shortly after receiving your score (since most deadlines are 3/1) or youll have to wait for next cycle. In the latter scenario, most schools dont even accept apps until september so you might as well take the june test and be better prepared.

Finally, the LSAT is stressful enough when you do feel prepared. I went in well prepared but had a nerve problem and made a huge mistake that cost be about 4 points. I would suggest not taking the test without optimal circumstances, which you make it seem like will not be the case.

Question: what cycle are you planning on?



i was planning on fall 2011, but fall 2012 is ok as well.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: FEB LSAT cold feet! hold off til June?

Postby northwood » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:29 pm

it is. im glad you got all of that ready. Focus on the June test, and use the summer to make any corrections/ write any school specific essays, or go visit the schools to help you make a choice. the more info you have, the easier it is to narrow down your school list.

wardy007
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:41 pm

Re: FEB LSAT cold feet! hold off til June?

Postby wardy007 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:36 pm

northwood wrote:it is. im glad you got all of that ready. Focus on the June test, and use the summer to make any corrections/ write any school specific essays, or go visit the schools to help you make a choice. the more info you have, the easier it is to narrow down your school list.


I want to get into Colorado University (CU) but am more likely to sway towards DU (denver) w/ scholly money. (CU ranks higher) The median lsat is 159 for DU.

I'm assuming also that if I move to Colorado (currently in CA) and have a CO addy that I will have a better chance??

wardy007
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:41 pm

Re: FEB LSAT cold feet! hold off til June?

Postby wardy007 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:38 pm

northwood wrote:
wardy007 wrote:I guess my main question is if I test subpar for FEB and then have improvement in June, is it ultimately better to have 2 scores or just one decent one?!??!


obviously you want to have one great score. You dont seem comfortable or ready for the test- so id go with an absence. quote]

does this mean that it shows up in law schools that i apply to??

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: FEB LSAT cold feet! hold off til June?

Postby northwood » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:40 pm

the schools will see on the report the FEB test date- and the scvore and percentiles will be blank
if you cancaelled- they would see feb test date and the words score cancelled

if you go and cancel- you can only sit for 2 more lsats in a 3 year span
if you dont go- you can still sit for 3 in a 3 year span

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: FEB LSAT cold feet! hold off til June?

Postby 99.9luft » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:43 pm

wardy007 wrote:...am testing in the mid to high 150's....


little sense in even sitting in on a test. pull an absence.

wardy007
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:41 pm

Re: FEB LSAT cold feet! hold off til June?

Postby wardy007 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:54 pm

northwood wrote:the schools will see on the report the FEB test date- and the scvore and percentiles will be blank
if you cancaelled- they would see feb test date and the words score cancelled

if you go and cancel- you can only sit for 2 more lsats in a 3 year span
if you dont go- you can still sit for 3 in a 3 year span



Do I need to explain this when I apply?

wardy007
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:41 pm

Re: FEB LSAT cold feet! hold off til June?

Postby wardy007 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:54 pm

99.9luft wrote:
wardy007 wrote:...am testing in the mid to high 150's....


little sense in even sitting in on a test. pull an absence.


good point. I really need to get the concepts in LSAT down pat before going..

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: FEB LSAT cold feet! hold off til June?

Postby northwood » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:11 pm

wardy007 wrote:
northwood wrote:the schools will see on the report the FEB test date- and the scvore and percentiles will be blank
if you cancaelled- they would see feb test date and the words score cancelled

if you go and cancel- you can only sit for 2 more lsats in a 3 year span
if you dont go- you can still sit for 3 in a 3 year span



Do I need to explain this when I apply?


if its your first test- you dont. If you have a cancel and absence, or absence and cancel then i would( so schools dont hink you are a flake)

youngblood
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: FEB LSAT cold feet! hold off til June?

Postby youngblood » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:19 pm

You are such a worry wart! Bu t I agree with all of the above reasons.




Silly!

wardy007
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:41 pm

Re: FEB LSAT cold feet! hold off til June?

Postby wardy007 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:24 pm

youngblood wrote:You are such a worry wart! Bu t I agree with all of the above reasons.




Silly!


i was like..what the ... and then i saw it was you. hey you!

wardy007
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:41 pm

Re: FEB LSAT cold feet! hold off til June?

Postby wardy007 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:39 pm

so yes, for all of you wondering, I am taking in June and was absent for Feb.

User avatar
onthecusp
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:08 pm

Re: FEB LSAT cold feet! hold off til June?

Postby onthecusp » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:59 am

Yes hold off. If you're scoring 150's now, in four months you should be 165+. If you've taken every single practice test and are still scoring in the 150's, it probably won't get much better. With proper preparation (and there are a million threads offering advice on how to prepare) you should be able to increase your score by at least 15 points (unless of course you started with a 166+.

3.1 + 155 LSAT equals TTT heaven.

3.1 + 165 LSAT equals T20 and the option to go to TTT for free.

polevaulter
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:04 pm

Re: FEB LSAT cold feet! hold off til June?

Postby polevaulter » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:11 pm

wardy007 wrote:so yes, for all of you wondering, I am taking in June and was absent for Feb.


I was in your situation (debating to postpone or not)...I ended up pushing mine to June. My diagnostic was 165...but I need a high score for scholarship money.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, Baidu [Spider], Greenteachurro and 4 guests