Question concerning memory and RC?

Dotson525

Question concerning memory and RC?

Postby Dotson525 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:25 pm

Realized from last post that I needed to specific concerning the issue of memory. Sorry

During my last few PTs I've noticed a slight decline in RC. This was unusual because RC was my strength in the past. After much review and thought I realized that the problem was my memory. Noticed that during this past year my memory slightly declined (in past used to be able to remember 15 numbers/items only reading it twice). I've used the RC strategies listed here, but still approach RC as I did before. Now, I have to approach RC in a different a manner than before.

Any tips/advice concerning memory and RC?
Doesn't necessarily be from lsat. Could be from teachers/tutors in the past.

TyrodTaylor

Re: Question concerning memory and RC?

Postby TyrodTaylor » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:56 pm

RC got harder in the more recent tests, so if you are testing from old to new, that is your answer

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:59 pm

TyrodTaylor wrote:RC got harder in the more recent tests, so if you are testing from old to new, that is your answer

Idk if I agree with this but that may be because I got better at RC as i progressed through the PTs.

OP, take ginkgo biloba from Nature's Bounty. It will turn you into a super human mind machine.

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:04 pm

Do you mark up the passage at all as you read it? I found that underlining key points helped me find the answers faster when I needed to go back and look....

Dotson525

Postby Dotson525 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:52 am

I do underline and make slight notes in the margin. I'm taking a PT in the morning, decided to add more notes with the margin concerning main idea and distinguishing between different items (instead of relying on memory). My only concern is the sacrifice of time. I wish I had of realized it was my memory a few weeks back, would have jumped on the ginkgo biloba. Didn't think I would need it at such a young age. lol I'm hoping with more notes, this will reduce my time within each each question.

Does anyone refer back to their notes for each question?

Ignatius Reilly

Postby Ignatius Reilly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:55 am

AreJay711 wrote:
TyrodTaylor wrote:RC got harder in the more recent tests, so if you are testing from old to new, that is your answer

Idk if I agree with this but that may be because I got better at RC as i progressed through the PTs.

OP, take ginkgo biloba from Nature's Bounty. It will turn you into a super human mind machine.

use ginkgo gold. I've been using it for a few months and it increased my short term memory

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:17 am

+1

Leira7905 wrote:Do you mark up the passage at all as you read it? I found that underlining key points helped me find the answers faster when I needed to go back and look....

My short term memory is so bad that I should be in that mental clinic in the movie "50 first dates" I found that when I stopped marking up the passages, I did better. Way better. I learned that I actually had to set the pencil down on the table while reading the passage in order to concentrate properly on the material. Circling, underlining and boxing words, along with writing in the margin became too much of a distraction. Give it a try on 2 or 3 RC sections and see what happens. Everybody's different and so this may not work for you. I did every preptest and read all the powerscore bibles and only figured this out near the end of my studies.

Also, try reading through the passage faster. I found that I did better when I only spent 2 minutes reading the passage rather than 3 or 4. The extra time reading would just make me forget the first half of the passage.

Also, stay away from the robitussin maximum strength cough. the dextromethorphan hydrobromide in it literally burns holes through your brain matter. I'm gonna try that ginko thing myself but I doubt if it will fill back in the holes.

Verity

Postby Verity » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:41 am

These herbal remedies don't work. Just eat simple protein and fatty acid, like in tuna fish, and exercise. That optimizes brain health and alertness. But honestly, you won't see a huge spike in cognitive function no matter what you do. The trick is to learn to recognize patterns, come up with good strategies, learn to control your nerves, and develop a rhythm. Also, get used to not just reading a lot, but reading well. This takes time.

One memory game actually might work, according to a study:

http://www.soakyourhead.com/

Read about it first, then play the game. It's supposed to help "working memory," according to the study.

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:47 am

Verity wrote:The trick is to learn to recognize patterns,

yep

works for LG too.

NZA

Postby NZA » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:53 am

It's probably less an issue of memory and more an issue of focus.

Frankly, I found that underlining and highlighting and note taking slowed me way down. I'd focus on understanding more where certain parts of the essay are, as well as the general point of the essay (or essays).

I mean, aside from maybe underlining a thesis statement, what good does underlining do you? How do you know what questions will be asked? I say, practice reading and comprehending dense material, and forgot trying to come up with some trick or scheme that will boost your score by a few points.

Verity

Postby Verity » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:26 am

NZA wrote:It's probably less an issue of memory and more an issue of focus.

Frankly, I found that underlining and highlighting and note taking slowed me way down. I'd focus on understanding more where certain parts of the essay are, as well as the general point of the essay (or essays).

I mean, aside from maybe underlining a thesis statement, what good does underlining do you? How do you know what questions will be asked? I say, practice reading and comprehending dense material, and forgot trying to come up with some trick or scheme that will boost your score by a few points.

+1

Ignatius Reilly

Postby Ignatius Reilly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:56 pm

Verity wrote:These herbal remedies don't work.

False, they increase circulation to the brain. Studies have shown....

Others show you get a minor IQ increase.

Listen to mozart, also an iq increase

Verity

Postby Verity » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:25 pm

Ignatius Reilly wrote:

You're either a very subtle flame, or you need to get real. The only people who support this BS are the mountebanks peddling it. Any increase is negligible at best, and always unreliable. The kind of high cognitive function required for the LSAT is too complex a matter for even the almighty ginkgo biloba leaf. It's infinitely better to advise someone to practice his ass off, than to sell him dubious supplements at a high price.

Dotson525

Postby Dotson525 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:36 pm

Did a PT today RC improved. :)
1.Basically, I underlined less, wrote less notes, and read faster. I think I was applying too much focus on certain items, and not enough on others.
2.By focusing on the minor things, I would forget the main points. I only noted in sections with minor details (for questions related to certain details associated with an idea).
3. Referring back to passage for each question, did hurt my score. Though, I spent more time on the passage, I scored less correct.
4. Also, the night before I went to bed earlier and did a little exercise in the morning.

I still do notice that my memory does affect RC, from past tests that I've taken. In the past I would remember the entire passage without making any marks. However, with minor changes I can still contain a good grasp on the passage.

As for herbal, I will consider not necessairly for just LSAT but in general. The forgetfulness has occured in many other circumstances (ex: leaving doors unlocked).

Thanks everyone for the advice! :D

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:33 pm

I think that LSAT study burn-out can hurt overall performance. Everything you read from test to test starts to seem identical and it's hard to care that much about what you're reading because of overexposure. If you've been studying hard-core, give yourself a few weeks off and see what happens when you return.

When things got extremely confusing in a RC passage, I would pick up the pencil for a second and make just a few minor marks.

*edit* +1 to NZA above.

Ignatius Reilly

Postby Ignatius Reilly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:15 am

Verity wrote:
Ignatius Reilly wrote:

You're either a very subtle flame, or you need to get real. The only people who support this BS are the mountebanks peddling it. Any increase is negligible at best, and always unreliable. The kind of high cognitive function required for the LSAT is too complex a matter for even the almighty ginkgo biloba leaf. It's infinitely better to advise someone to practice his ass off, than to sell him dubious supplements at a high price.

I guess I just need to get real. I'm believe it does help short term memory...it helped mine...though i suppose that could be placebo effect...he still needs to practice his ass off

lawnerd1

Postby lawnerd1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:16 pm

well-hello-there wrote:
Also, stay away from the robitussin maximum strength cough. the dextromethorphan hydrobromide in it literally burns holes through your brain matter. I'm gonna try that ginko thing myself but I doubt if it will fill back in the holes.

I have nothing to add to the thread itself, I would just like to correct this bit of misinformation. The researcher who published the paper that said dextromethrophan causes Olney's Lesions (holes in your brain) has admitted that he was wrong. His revision can be found here: http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/dxm/dxm_health3.shtml

And independent testing that was published in the journal of Neurotoxicology that refutes his original claim can be found here: http://www.erowid.org/references/refs_view.php?ID=7030

I am posting this solely to set the facts straight and stop the spread of misinformation and fear-mongering. I do not advocate nor disapprove of the use of DXM either recreationally or medicinally, but believe you should make your own informed decisions.

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:15 pm

lawnerd1 wrote:
well-hello-there wrote:

I have nothing to add to the thread itself, I would just like to correct this bit of misinformation. The researcher who published the paper that said dextromethrophan causes Olney's Lesions (holes in your brain) has admitted that he was wrong. His revision can be found here: http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/dxm/dxm_health3.shtml

And independent testing that was published in the journal of Neurotoxicology that refutes his original claim can be found here: http://www.erowid.org/references/refs_view.php?ID=7030

I am posting this solely to set the facts straight and stop the spread of misinformation and fear-mongering. I do not advocate nor disapprove of the use of DXM either recreationally or medicinally, but believe you should make your own informed decisions.

I did not know that the info. I had read was bunk. thanks for correcting me as I do not want to spread misinformation either.

I do know, however, that drinking an 8 ounce bottle of Robitussin max. strength cough will damage your short term memory. I think using it as prescribed is okay and I was referring to recreational robo-frying which I highly do not recommend.

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:01 pm

BS i robotripped night before dec 2010 and got a 189

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”