Don't use self study material if you're in a prep class? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
mbkc03

New

Don't use self study material if you're in a prep class?

Post by mbkc03 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:27 am

I've been told that I shouldn't use self-study material before I take a prep class due to the possibility that I would fall into bad habits. And in addition, there is a chance that I would be seeing the same questions used in the self-study books in the class also. I'm currently working the powerscore bible trilogy waiting for my Testmasters prep course to start in March. I was wondering if any of you had insight on whether or not i should continue using the powerscore books before the prepclass commences.

Curry

Re: Don't use self study material if you're in a prep class?

Post by Curry » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:34 am

mbkc03 wrote:I've been told that I shouldn't use self-study material before I take a prep class due to the possibility that I would fall into bad habits. And in addition, there is a chance that I would be seeing the same questions used in the self-study books in the class also. I'm currently working the powerscore bible trilogy waiting for my Testmasters prep course to start in March. I was wondering if any of you had insight on whether or not i should continue using the powerscore books before the prepclass commences.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. That being said, the bibles will make your class obsolete.

jeremysen

Bronze

Post by jeremysen » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:33 am

mbkc03 wrote:I've been told that I shouldn't use self-study material before I take a prep class due to the possibility that I would fall into bad habits. And in addition, there is a chance that I would be seeing the same questions used in the self-study books in the class also. I'm currently working the powerscore bible trilogy waiting for my Testmasters prep course to start in March. I was wondering if any of you had insight on whether or not i should continue using the powerscore books before the prepclass commences.
Don't do recent test material yet. All else is fine in moderate amounts- it's good to observe different strategies. If you're weak on rc feel free to do a ton of those right now.

Kurst

Bronze

Post by Kurst » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:55 am

Powerscore Bible Trilogy + Testmasters prep course???

Also: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1#p2752125
jamesieee wrote:I took a one-month full-length PowerScore course (which I hear is very similar to TM), and the course alone would have not been anywhere near enough to push me to what I ended up getting. I started studying by myself two months before the test with the Bibles, and still did intensive self-studying outside of class for the last month (4-5 PT's per week on my own). Treat the course as a bonus - it's good reinforcement, but you should be studying enough outside of it to render it redundant. You can easily do this during the five weeks that you devote to LSAT.

lakers3peat

Bronze

Post by lakers3peat » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:04 pm

the bibles are the same exact thing tuaght in testmasters except different trade mark names for bullshit lol. i honestly don't know what to call "the 15 questions(TM) or the GOOD/BAD TEST(TM) other then bullshit. they have their equivalent in powerscore. the makers of each respective company used to be partners so tehy teach the same stuff.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

EarlCat

Silver

Post by EarlCat » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:12 pm

Bad habits are something to worry about. Seeing questions more than once isn't.

AverageTutoring

Bronze

Post by AverageTutoring » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:03 pm

I self-studied with the Bibles before taking a class and I can say that it paid dividends. Being acquainted with the LSAT before taking the class allowed me to focus on sections/particular problems that I knew needed help with. Similarly, it gave me an indication of what I did not need help with, which is just as important. Perhaps most importantly however, it exposed me to two different approaches and I was able to pick and choose what worked for me.

I think it's the way to go for sure.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”