my brain is fried Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

New

my brain is fried

Post by 44135 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:37 pm

I'm going through the PowerScore LG bible. I swear I am losing it at this point - my brain is fried.

"In order for A to be selected, B must be selected"

per answer key it is A---->B Wouldnt it be B ---->A
It seems so simple but I swear, it just does not make sense to me...? For some reason this exact wording completely messes me up.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Re: my brain is fried

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:40 pm

if A, then B. because B has to be there in order for A to be there. so if A exists, then you know B must exist as well

the answer in the book is right....obviously

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:46 pm

whatever comes before the words "must be selected" is the necessary condition (on the right side of the arrow)

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:48 pm

if you're studying for the test next week, make sure to scale back this week and if you can bear it, don't do any studying thursday or friday

New

Post by 44135 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:50 pm

thank you guys,

yup, test is this Sat.. we'll see what happens

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ignatius Reilly

Bronze

Post by Ignatius Reilly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:50 pm

44135 wrote:"In order for A to be selected, B must be selected"
Think about it like this: If B is not selected can A be selected?
If A is not selected can B be selected?

Or if that does not help think about it like this

If A is selected, must B be selected?

If B is selected, Must B be selected?

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:53 pm

44135 wrote:thank you guys,

not trying to be a dick or anything, but if basic concepts like diagramming aren't second nature to you at this point, i'd pull an absence and take it in June. I'm not a fan of the first LSAT being the Feb (undisclosed) test anyway. My 2 cents...it's up to you.

Ignatius Reilly

Bronze

Post by Ignatius Reilly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:56 pm

99.9luft wrote:
44135 wrote:thank you guys,

not trying to be a dick or anything, but if basic concepts like diagramming aren't second nature to you at this point, i'd pull an absence and take it in June. I'm not a fan of the first LSAT being the Feb (undisclosed) test anyway. My 2 cents...it's up to you.
+1 only I would take and cancel. If you cant diagram the above I dont see how you could break 160

OnlyLivingBoyinNY

New

Post by OnlyLivingBoyinNY » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:16 pm

44135 wrote:I'm going through the PowerScore LG bible. I swear I am losing it at this point - my brain is fried.

It seems so simple but I swear, it just does not make sense to me...? For some reason this exact wording completely messes me up.
A is sufficient for B to be selected, but it is not necessary for B to be selected.

On the other hand, "in order for A to be selected," B is necessary.

Thus, you have A-->B. If A is there, you know that B has to be there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rubydandun

New

Post by rubydandun » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:53 pm

Don't listen to the negativity, you'll realize before long that these message boards are a double-edged sword: they provide motivation and good advice but you're also bound to run into highly anal/scared/jerks who make mountains out of things. Also notice that in the LSAT forum many posters, in hardcore-LSAT mode, begin writing like the LSAT and picking apart each other's arguments as if it's a stimulus on PT50.

The wording is a bit counterintuitive but remember, must--> necessary. I recommend you revisit the sufficient/necessary indicators in the LRB.

Ignatius Reilly

Bronze

Post by Ignatius Reilly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:58 pm

rubydandun wrote:Don't listen to the negativity, you'll realize before long that these message boards are a double-edged sword: they provide motivation and good advice but you're also bound to run into highly anal/scared/jerks who make mountains out of things. Also notice that in the LSAT forum many posters, in hardcore-LSAT mode, begin writing like the LSAT and picking apart each other's arguments as if it's a stimulus on PT50.

dude, no one was trying to tear him down. I dont see how one can do the games if they dont understand the rules. I was trying to be helpfull.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:59 pm

Ignatius Reilly wrote:
rubydandun wrote:Don't listen to the negativity, you'll realize before long that these message boards are a double-edged sword: they provide motivation and good advice but you're also bound to run into highly anal/scared/jerks who make mountains out of things. Also notice that in the LSAT forum many posters, in hardcore-LSAT mode, begin writing like the LSAT and picking apart each other's arguments as if it's a stimulus on PT50.

dude, no one was trying to tear him down. I dont see how one can do the games if they dont understand the rules. I was trying to be helpful.
Knowledge of how to spell basic words FTW!

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:00 pm

The wording is a bit counterintuitive but remember, must--> necessary. I recommend you revisit the sufficient/necessary indicators in the LRB.
there was no negativity whatsoever, just friendly advice.

but now, there is: you, my friend, are an idiot.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ignatius Reilly

Bronze

Post by Ignatius Reilly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:04 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
Ignatius Reilly wrote:

dude, no one was trying to tear him down. I dont see how one can do the games if they dont understand the rules. I was trying to be helpful.
Knowledge of how to spell basic words FTW!
8) 8) 8)

kswalters

New

Post by kswalters » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:39 pm

I've found myself second guessing the basics in the last few days. It doesn't mean you're not prepared. More than likely it means you're stressed, tired, and need a break. After taking two prep tests today, and bombing both of them, I realized that I'm just killing myself. It's not that I don't know the material, but I've pushed myself to the brink. At this point, it seems like you might be at that point also. Take it easy, practice a little on Mon-Wed, and take Thursday and Friday off.

Good luck!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:44 pm

99.9luft wrote:

there was no negativity whatsoever, just friendly advice.

but now, there is: you, my friend, are an idiot.
HEY NOW, let's all take a breather.

Excel

New

Post by Excel » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:59 pm

I know the feeling. If you give your brain a few days of rest afterwards, youll be surprised at how much easier it gets.

Firework11

Bronze

Post by Firework11 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:33 am

44135 wrote:I'm going through the PowerScore LG bible. I swear I am losing it at this point - my brain is fried.

/=Negation
The contrapositive is /B---->/A

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”