How do you assess your wrong LR answers on PTs?

rubydandun

How do you assess your wrong LR answers on PTs?

Postby rubydandun » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:15 am

So far I've found this to be helpful for LR:

I'll take a PT in the morning and in the afternoon I'll literally tear every single problem I either got wrong or had trouble with down to Premises, Background info, Subsidiary Conclusion, Conclusion and see where I went wrong. I'll sometimes spend 10 minutes on a single problem, explaining to myself why each answer choice is wrong. I'll even re-write the question using my own example to see how it functions and how it tricked me.

I feel like it's helped but what it DEFINITELY has done is give me confidence - by the end of my analysis I often feel, even with very difficult questions, like I could tackle a similar problem in the future.

I feel like I really understand the LRB's lessons (e.g. when I see a MBF I instinctually know to look for a situation where the sufficient occurs without the necessary occuring) and I've benefited greatly from ATLAS LSAT's recommendation of looking for the wrong answers. I've found that it's often a lot easier to disprove wrong answer choices than to find the right one. Before I'd finish a LR thinking I'd missed a lot more than I actually did. Now I KNOW confidently that I've picked the right answer.

What do you guys do with your practice tests/to improve on LR?

EarlCat

Re: How do you assess your wrong LR answers on PTs?

Postby EarlCat » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:49 am

rubydandun wrote:So far I've found this to be helpful for LR:

I'll take a PT in the morning and in the afternoon I'll literally tear every single problem I either got wrong or had trouble with down to Premises, Background info, Subsidiary Conclusion, Conclusion and see where I went wrong. I'll sometimes spend 10 minutes on a single problem, explaining to myself why each answer choice is wrong. I'll even re-write the question using my own example to see how it functions and how it tricked me.

I feel like it's helped but what it DEFINITELY has done is give me confidence - by the end of my analysis I often feel, even with very difficult questions, like I could tackle a similar problem in the future.

I feel like I really understand the LRB's lessons (e.g. when I see a MBF I instinctually know to look for a situation where the sufficient occurs without the necessary occuring) and I've benefited greatly from ATLAS LSAT's recommendation of looking for the wrong answers. I've found that it's often a lot easier to disprove wrong answer choices than to find the right one. Before I'd finish a LR thinking I'd missed a lot more than I actually did. Now I KNOW confidently that I've picked the right answer.

What do you guys do with your practice tests/to improve on LR?

Looks like you're doing it right. I'd personally review questions I got right too, just to make sure I can articulate exactly why each wrong answer is wrong. It all contributes to pattern recognition.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”