Best way to make use of time before Kaplan Course? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Ender451

New

Best way to make use of time before Kaplan Course?

Post by Ender451 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:26 am

Hi all,

On Mar 27th I'll begin a Kaplan course that runs right up until the June test. I'd like to begin studying before then, but I am not sure of the best way to go about it. I went ahead and ordered Powerscore's LSAT Logic Games and Reasoning Bibles. Should I begin working with those?

Kaplan also offered me a chance to take quizzes online before the course begins. That and apparently there are online lessons (I get access in a couple days, so I'll know for sure then).

My info:

Walked in and took a diagnostic with Kaplan, scored a 153. I'd never seen the exam before, didn't know anything about it. From what I've read baseline isn't determined until 2-3 tests have been taken?

GPA is only 3.25 (3.7 at my current school, but transfered in from a community college with a 2.8 ). I'm a senior.

My goal: 167+ (I know potential varies from person to person, but I'm hoping that 3+ months of study time makes this feasible)

Please advise.

Thanks!

Kurst

Bronze

Re: Best way to make use of time before Kaplan Course?

Post by Kurst » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:46 pm

If you have not sat in on a class with your Kaplan instructor and verified that he or she is an outstanding teacher, drop the Kaplan course. See this post for a review of Kaplan, and other prep companies: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 9#p3876323

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:35 pm

I took a Kaplan course. I was lucky to have a great instructor. The methods for LG are a little too loose for my liking. I found the LR methods to be very helpful, but they didn't go nearly as far as PowerScore in explaining the subtleties of the stimuli and question stems. RC techniques are okay, but were overkill in some cases. I did not find their answer choice explanations very helpful - "The answer is the answer, because why wouldn't it be? Q.E.D."

They do give you a hefty amount of material though.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:37 pm

The best thing you can do between now and the start of the course is get your money back.

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:44 pm

JazzOne wrote:The best thing you can do between now and the start of the course is get your money back.
TITCR. I used kaplan stuff and saw no increase in my score, and saw an immediate boost from Powerscore. do not use kaplan, it's a waste.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nelaw2010

Bronze

Post by nelaw2010 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:50 pm

Follow this:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=120471

And Pithypike's schedule.

Also, go to Cambridge LSAT and but the following LR by question type:
Nec Assump
Suff Assump
MBT
Formal Logic
Principle
Flaw
And Most Difficult

If u do this, and are willing to put in 3 hours per day minimum, you'll be in great shape before Kaplan starts.

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:05 pm

I wish there had been some way for me to have gotten their massive books and do away with their explanations and lessons.

D.I.Y. studying is the credited response. D.I.Y. or die!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”