what resources did you use, and what worked best for you.

User avatar
hazencage
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:29 pm

what resources did you use, and what worked best for you.

Postby hazencage » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:18 pm

Right Now i am using Kaplan LSAT Premier
http://www.amazon.com/Kaplan-2010-2011- ... 1607142937
I also use the official LSAT prep test.

occasionally i read up on "how i scored a 180" essays, but right now i am curious as to what the best resources are. I am sure some of you took the test more than once, and would like to hear what strategies worked best for you, and how your thinking/strategies evolved over time.

User avatar
HugerThanSoup
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:32 pm

Re: what resources did you use, and what worked best for you.

Postby HugerThanSoup » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:22 pm

- Powerscore LSAT prep class
- Undergraduate Logic Course (neither necessary nor sufficient)
- 25-30 practice exams over 6 months leading up to exam (necessary)
- One month before exam: spending every free minute working on random problems, questions
- Dissecting all of my WRONG answers to see why and how I was getting tripped up (necessary)
- Getting lucky (necessary but not sufficient)

User avatar
hazencage
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: what resources did you use, and what worked best for you.

Postby hazencage » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:41 pm

HugerThanSoup wrote:- Powerscore LSAT prep class
- Undergraduate Logic Course (neither necessary nor sufficient)
- 25-30 practice exams over 6 months leading up to exam (necessary)
- One month before exam: spending every free minute working on random problems, questions
- Dissecting all of my WRONG answers to see why and how I was getting tripped up (necessary)
- Getting lucky (necessary but not sufficient)


if i am stuck on question would you advise me to simply look at the answer and diagram key? I hesitate slightly because sometimes the Diagram is very different from what i am used to, and i am not always sure if its the method i want to go with. Sometimes I wish the Diagrams for logic games had particular names so i could just look them up, become familiar, break down the questions structure, and memorize the diagrams internally.

User avatar
HugerThanSoup
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:32 pm

Re: what resources did you use, and what worked best for you.

Postby HugerThanSoup » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:50 pm

I'm not sure what the "Diagrams" are but I'm assuming they're in reference to logic game setups.

If so, then yes; look at the answers, examine the diagrams, and run the game again yourself - using your symbols, your layout, and other tools that you're comfortable with. Don't just look at the answers and go "Oh, yeah, right, duh! Stupid mistake." Actually run through the game again to train yourself. Even if you already know the answer, you'll start to see how to set up the games better in the future.

As for the analytical reasoning sections, I used logic notation for problems I was having trouble with. I would set up a basic syllogism and run it again. This might be an unnecessary step but it helped me with questions that I didn't understand. Eventually, things just kind of click.

User avatar
hazencage
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: what resources did you use, and what worked best for you.

Postby hazencage » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:01 pm

HugerThanSoup wrote:I'm not sure what the "Diagrams" are but I'm assuming they're in reference to logic game setups.

If so, then yes; look at the answers, examine the diagrams, and run the game again yourself - using your symbols, your layout, and other tools that you're comfortable with. Don't just look at the answers and go "Oh, yeah, right, duh! Stupid mistake." Actually run through the game again to train yourself. Even if you already know the answer, you'll start to see how to set up the games better in the future.

As for the analytical reasoning sections, I used logic notation for problems I was having trouble with. I would set up a basic syllogism and run it again. This might be an unnecessary step but it helped me with questions that I didn't understand. Eventually, things just kind of click.


well if you happen to know what symbols were most effective i would like to know, and finally what specific syllogism would you suggest? also when it comes it diagraming were the methods varied, or is it pretty standard on an LSAT logic game to use diagraming methods that are different from each other, but at the same time is something that could be memorized and become familiar with?

Kurst
Posts: 448
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:33 pm

Re: what resources did you use, and what worked best for you.

Postby Kurst » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:28 pm

Please be aware that hazencage is a troll. Allow me to regale you with his wisdom:

On Education: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=146373&start=75#p3958216
hazencage wrote:I just got done high school actually.

On Economics: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=146373&start=75#p3958154
hazencage wrote:The reason as to why the federal reserved raised the lending rate was because they were trying to protect the gold standard. Finally I would also like to point out that countries that left the Gold Standard recovered a lot quicker than the united states. Finally I would also like to point out that Great Depression officially ended in 1934 when GDP figures began to post positive numbers, unfortunately unemployment has always been an historically lagging indicator, and this is where the Genius of Keyenes economic policy came in.

Unfortunately Keyensian economic policy has never fully been implimented because prior to reagan we were using such things as price controls, and the bretton woods system. Finally when the era of price controls ended, and floating currency came into effect our government decided to start mainly relying on monetary policy.

I would also like to point out that all of the economic success during world war two was a direct result of public spending. Their were some restrictions on Keyensian economic policy though because out country decided to implement price controls, and rationing.

On AA: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=145363&start=1275#p3950586
hazencage wrote:I hope nobody in this thread things that AA creates quotas.

On CrabDribble, the #1 AA troll of the OT forum: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=146448
hazencage wrote:he proclaims to a pimp and he pretends to always be right. Those personal charachteristics are s hott.
i could just die in your claws tonight.

On Debate: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=146578#p3965765
hazencage wrote:im 6 ft and made all conference for XC each year, and almost made regionals in highschool.

I also beat crab dribble in debate, and school various people on this forum.

On Egypt: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=145605&start=550#p3971610
hazencage wrote:The protestors are not batteling hard enough. if it were me i would be carrying a trash can lid around as a shield, and wearing sweat pants so i can run when all hell breaks loose. Finally instead of using just their arms to throw rocks, why don't they just use a sling which can make a stone go like 90mph and go for a distance of 400m? lol I feel like every protestor should know this.

On Latin: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=146373&start=100#p3961875
hazencage wrote:caeteris paribus a phrase used by Alfred Marshal who also happened to be JMK's teacher as well. It means " all other things being eqaul or held constant". if you are interested in economic history i suggest you read "new ideas from dead economists" "This time is different, 8 centuries of financial folly", or simply check out the history of economic thought. Finally I am done with reading up on theories, and i just simply sit back and occasionally check "calculated risk", and sometimes Paul Krugman blog, but not really anymore.

On Investing: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=145135&start=100#p3960882
hazencage wrote:Gold is more of something that people should invest in when they think regular stocks are not going to be doing as well. Gold isn't immune to collapses in the market, for example during the early 80s the value of gold plummeted because it was invested in so often during the inflationary years of the 70's. On a final point, Gold may be increasing in value, but the REAL(not nominal) value of gold hasn't changed much since the early part of this decade.

At most Gold should only be 15% of your portfolio.

On Jersey Shore: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=146445&p=3955584
hazencage wrote:at first i refused to watch the show, and when i finally did i was really drunk, and the show managed to irritate me. By the end of the show i was laughing, but surprised that i could get so emotional over such a program.

User avatar
hazencage
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: what resources did you use, and what worked best for you.

Postby hazencage » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:54 pm

So what if i don't take the social forum seriously? I am more serious about my questions when it comes to the LSAT.

Kurst
Posts: 448
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:33 pm

Re: what resources did you use, and what worked best for you.

Postby Kurst » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:03 pm


User avatar
hazencage
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: what resources did you use, and what worked best for you.

Postby hazencage » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:28 pm




no, I think those posts were merely reflecting my curiosity so you are wrong. How can you judge me when you never asked what my intentions were when i posted those questions?




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bearedman8, Google [Bot], Gumbocat and 6 guests