Best online class

cooks488

Best online class

Postby cooks488 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:07 am

Hi all,

I am planning to take an online course for the June 2011 LSAT (as I am working full time, this will be the best option for me). I am having a tough time deciding between Powerscore, Blueprint and Testmasters. Does anyone have experience with any of these courses and their effectiveness as compared to in-person classes?I am currently scoring in the high 160s/low 170s on practice tests and need the most practice with logic games.

Any insight you have would be super helpful!

bp colin

Re: Best online class

Postby bp colin » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:31 am

cooks488 wrote:Hi all,

I am planning to take an online course for the June 2011 LSAT (as I am working full time, this will be the best option for me). I am having a tough time deciding between Powerscore, Blueprint and Testmasters. Does anyone have experience with any of these courses and their effectiveness as compared to in-person classes?I am currently scoring in the high 160s/low 170s on practice tests and need the most practice with logic games.

Any insight you have would be super helpful!

First of all, it's good that you're problem area is games, because most people consider that to be the most easily learnable section.

I work for Blueprint, so I might be able to provide some insight about us. Our course consists of streaming video lessons that you watch as you follow along in the books. We, unlike a lot of other companies, don't do the live online courses (which I tend to think are inferior). Some people definitely do prefer live to recorded, but in your situation you'll probably end up sitting through a bunch of incredibly boring lectures about things that you already totally understand. The good thing about recorded courses is that you can jump forward through things that you already understand, but also immediately re-watch portions that you were less solid on. Also, if you have a hectic schedule, we might be a good option, as you can do the lessons whenever you want to.

As for the quality of the course, you should watch samples from all the companies, and, more importantly, ask actual students. If you've got any questions for me, feel free to PM.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:57 am

I also think that the live vs. recorded divide is a strong consideration but I tend to fall on the other side and think that having someone there who can answer your questions as you have them is important, so I think live is better. Of the companies that you're considering, I think that each one only offers one or the other (e.g. Blueprint online is recorded).

Full disclosure: I teach for Princeton Review.

Kurst

Postby Kurst » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:18 pm

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:28 pm

Hey BP.

I just wonder if you offer a student a discount if they need to take it again even after 2 administrative cycles. What I am saying is Movie 2.0! I guess they do not need a book to pay and shipping. I heard that Powerscore also gives a discount to students who take a course again. I am just curious whether your company has a similar one. Thank you!

bp colin

Postby bp colin » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:00 pm

lovejopd wrote:Hey BP.

I just wonder if you offer a student a discount if they need to take it again even after 2 administrative cycles. What I am saying is Movie 2.0! I guess they do not need a book to pay and shipping. I heard that Powerscore also gives a discount to students who take a course again. I am just curious whether your company has a similar one. Thank you!

Yeah, you can extend your access through another administration of the LSAT for $200 when you take the online course. It comes with two administrations, so that would be if you wanted a third.

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:16 pm

bp colin wrote:

Yeah, you can extend your access through another administration of the LSAT for $200 when you take the online course. It comes with two administrations, so that would be if you wanted a third.

Thank you for your reply. But I just wonder. Is it okay to have a gap between the end of the cycle and the new cycle e.g. I purchase the course for June/Oct and I stopped working on it. Start it in June 2012 again. I am seriously considering taking a online course. Thank you in advance.

bp colin

Postby bp colin » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:32 pm

lovejopd wrote:
bp colin wrote:

Thank you for your reply. But I just wonder. Is it okay to have a gap between the end of the cycle and the new cycle e.g. I purchase the course for June/Oct and I stopped working on it. Start it in June 2012 again. I am seriously considering taking a online course. Thank you in advance.

If the course hasn't radically changed, then that would be fine. But June 2012 is a long way off.

You should really select one date and then go for it whole hog. Do you feel like you won't be able to give it your all this June/Oct? If so, you'd probably want to wait for 2012 to start studying. But if you think you can really go for it this year, then do so.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”