Study plan for June LSAT? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
westinghouse60

Bronze

Study plan for June LSAT?

Post by westinghouse60 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:10 am

A little background: I started studying for the LSAT last summer, but was only intermittently able to study for it during the fall semester. As I am taking it this June, and have a much less busy schedule, I intend to study much more frequently this semester. I just got done taking the first official prep test I had done in a while (prep test #38 if anyone is curious) and scored a 167. I did well on the reading comprehension and logical reasoning, but only scored 14/24 on the analytical reasoning, so that's an obvious weakness. (Not that I'm complaining about a 167 overall though).

Anyway, currently I have ~20 weeks until I'm taking it (although I can easily retake in October), and have the Powerscore Logic Games and Logical Reasoning Bibles, along with the "10 More" and "10 Actual Official" LSAT prep tests, none of which I have opened yet.

How would experienced test takers study over the next 20 weeks? I can get more prep materials if necessary. Also, outside of the official released LSATs, what are the best materials for pure practice (not explanatory or instructive materials like the Powerscore Bibles)?

Thanks in advance for replies. I know there are study plans out there, some of which I have looked at, but there are too many confounding variables (previous experience, what prep materials you already have, when the exact date of the test is, what your weaknesses are, etc) to for them to really be applicable unless you are starting from scratch.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Re: Study plan for June LSAT?

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:31 am

Hey there! I'm kinda like you, my first cold diagnostic was a 168 and I'm taking the June test (: This is a retake for me, so from my past exp I can say: prep classes didn't work for me, and it's good that you're starting a few months early. Also, be prepared to put some solid time into this. My first time around, I did the bare minimum (showed up to prep classes and did the hw and PTs they set up, and a few on my own, but generally not much extra work) and I ended up getting a 168 on test day--same as my cold diagnostic! ): So yes, DEFINITELY be willing to put in the effort.

You're lucky that LG is your weakest point, in a way, because LG is definitely the easiest to improve!! So yay, that's super good (: I would HIGHLY recommend the Powerscore Bibles. For the June test, take a look at this link: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/p/month-ls ... plans.html. I'm following her weekly schedules to study. Unfortunately I can't say how effective it is since I'm in the middle of studying right now, but I've heard good things. Some threads that were helpful and were linked to me:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=140092
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=112107
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... ?f=6&t=396 (I know you're already 160+, but tips from people who did well never hurts! :D)

IMO, from what I've read/heard/been told, practice is KEY. So run a lot of drills, do every PT you can get your hands on, etc etc. If you're running out of time on LG, then I'd suggest drilling LG untimed first so you can work on accuracy, then slowly easing yourself into timed games (the Powerscore Bible should discuss this too in the last few chapters, IIRC). Anyway, that's all I can think of right now. This forum is a GREAT resource though, so I would also recommend checking around/searching for more help.

Good luck, fellow June LSAT-er!! We're in this together, hahaha, so feel free to ask me any questions/commiserate on the anxiety of studying and I hope we both kill it in a few months (:

david.patel

New

Re: Study plan for June LSAT?

Post by david.patel » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:17 pm

westinghouse60 wrote:A little background: I started studying for the LSAT last summer, but was only intermittently able to study for it during the fall semester. As I am taking it this June, and have a much less busy schedule, I intend to study much more frequently this semester. I just got done taking the first official prep test I had done in a while (prep test #38 if anyone is curious) and scored a 167. I did well on the reading comprehension and logical reasoning, but only scored 14/24 on the analytical reasoning, so that's an obvious weakness. (Not that I'm complaining about a 167 overall though).

Anyway, currently I have ~20 weeks until I'm taking it (although I can easily retake in October), and have the Powerscore Logic Games and Logical Reasoning Bibles, along with the "10 More" and "10 Actual Official" LSAT prep tests, none of which I have opened yet.

How would experienced test takers study over the next 20 weeks? I can get more prep materials if necessary. Also, outside of the official released LSATs, what are the best materials for pure practice (not explanatory or instructive materials like the Powerscore Bibles)?

Thanks in advance for replies. I know there are study plans out there, some of which I have looked at, but there are too many confounding variables (previous experience, what prep materials you already have, when the exact date of the test is, what your weaknesses are, etc) to for them to really be applicable unless you are starting from scratch.
Westing, I scored a 167 on my first try using the 10 More and Next 10 books. If you're happy with 167, you are on the right track. If you want to score higher, using the more recent PTs was suggested to me and I intend to follow this advice to hit 170+. Someone posted a list of where to get all of the recent preptests on another thread. I suggest you look into this. Some say PTs 50-60 are mandatory.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”