profizzle

Postby profizzle » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:21 pm

Last edited by profizzle on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Re: Do You Have a Right to Request a Table/Desk?

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:33 pm

Putting aside the fact that you said, "right"...

I doubt it. I mean the best they could do is have you go to another test center because it's not like they could pull a table into a room just for you when the center doesn't have it. Just research the test centers and find one with adequate space.

If you really want an official answer, do the obvious thing and call LSAC to ask them.

profizzle

Postby profizzle » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:47 pm

lol whats wrong with using the word "right," bro? I'll give em' a call, mango.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:54 pm

Its unfortunate, but testing centers are not created equally. In my first administration, I had a ridiculous amount of space to work with. Ironically, when I retook, I had 1/3 of the space (similar to the desk you're describing) and raised my score by 8 points. Don't worry too much about the desk. If you are prepared, you will do well.

LSAC knows very well that some desks provide a smaller work area than others. But desk size is not a confounding variable to the usability of LSAT scores on the whole.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:55 pm

profizzle wrote:lol whats wrong with using the word "right," bro? I'll give em' a call, mango.

most rights are against state action, and LSAC is probably not a state actor

profizzle

Postby profizzle » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:06 pm

Last edited by profizzle on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fastforward

Postby fastforward » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:55 pm

I get questions about this regularly and it's important for several reasons.

A short thread a while back discussed this and contained a link to the Powerscore site. The link claims that if your testing center has flip-up desks, you are allowed to bring a board to expand your workspace. Powerscore did warn that the test center administrators might not know about this rule. I've never been able to find this on LSAC's website, but Powerscore is very reliable about everything else, so I assumed it was true. Then I heard about someone (not my client) who was not allowed to bring her board into the testing room.

Today I spoke with an LSAC rep who identified herself as Ann. She told me there is no such rule permitting boards to expand the size of work surface unless the accommodations procedure is followed.

Testing conditions vary widely. That's why it's so important to familiarize yourself with every aspect of your test center in advance of test day. If you are going to have to work on a small space, do at least a couple practice tests on the same type of desk, and adjust your habits regarding bubbling, placement of materials, etc. each time you do LSAT work. Ideally you should sit for at least one PT in the actual test center prior to the test. Know everything you can about ambient temperature, location of restrooms and drinking fountains, noise or odors from nearby construction, parking -- everything you can.

You can't control test conditions, but you can be prepared and adapt to them. These little things all add up and can earn you -- or cost you -- a couple of points.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:55 pm

To add on to the above poster, LSAC reps have been known to give differing answers to the same questions.

fastforward

Postby fastforward » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:15 pm

bk1 wrote:To add on to the above poster, LSAC reps have been known to give differing answers to the same questions.

Yes, they are known to do that. That's why I always keep track of the name of the rep I spoke to.

But I have scoured the LSAC site and Google in recent months and con find nothing to suggest they allow this. I believe it's probably out there; Pewerscore's information was very specific and they had to have gotten it from somewhere. Even if you can find someone at the test center who will speak to this, you face the likelihood of pushback on test day. The only way I would plan on a board is if I received an email or other writing from LSAC saying so.

Has anyone ever encountered this board issue, or know someone who has?

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:51 pm

LSAT regulations in previous years allowed people to bring in a flat board, but then there was the big change to the one gallon clear zip lock bag and nothing else policy that went into place well over a year ago.

Powerscore likely forgot to remove that now very outdated information from their web page.

The current LSAC policy is pretty darn clear:

Items Allowed in the Test Room

Test takers may bring into the test room only a clear plastic ziplock bag, maximum size one gallon (3.79 liter), which must be stored under the chair and may be accessed only during the break. The ziplock bag may contain only the following items: LSAT Admission Ticket stub; valid ID; wallet; keys; analog (nondigital) wristwatch; medical or hygiene products; #2 or HB wooden pencils, highlighter, erasers, pencil sharpener (no mechanical pencils); tissues; and beverage in plastic container or juice box (20 oz./591 ml maximum size) and snack for break only.

fastforward

Postby fastforward » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:06 am

^^This

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”