logic textbook

HarlandBassett

logic textbook

Postby HarlandBassett » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:29 am

I've always wanted to take a logic course in undergrad but the scheduling was never appropriate for me. I looked at the textbook in the Schedule of Classes at my alma mater and they are using ISBN 0132051524 Understanding Symbolic Logic (5th Edition) [Paperback]. Does it make sense to read through and practice this before doing LSAT logic?

EarlCat

Re: logic textbook

Postby EarlCat » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:35 am

HarlandBassett wrote:I've always wanted to take a logic course in undergrad but the scheduling was never appropriate for me. I looked at the textbook in the Schedule of Classes at my alma mater and they are using ISBN 0132051524 Understanding Symbolic Logic (5th Edition) [Paperback]. Does it make sense to read through and practice this before doing LSAT logic?

No.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:41 am

We used that same text book for the logic class I took, it doesn't really help to much with LR besides having a better understanding of formal logic

Ignatius Reilly

Postby Ignatius Reilly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:42 am

I would recommed a book on quantum logic, which denies the validity of p ^ (q v r) =(p ^ q) v (p ^ r).

Basically, formal logic is for philosophers and mathematicians, who care about such things....informal logic is for the lsat and sophistry is for lawyers.

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:08 am

Probably not much point in going through one of these. After the Dec. 10 LG, I went through the first two parts of a logic text, which were basically a review of set theory and formal logic.

The only thing I really got out of it was realizing that a proof can be done to confirm answers to rule substitution LG questions. And I couldn't even do that reliably. And certainly never under real test conditions.

Edit: I had taken a logic course during UG, for the record.
Last edited by joebloe on Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:14 am

HarlandBassett wrote:I've always wanted to take a logic course in undergrad but the scheduling was never appropriate for me. I looked at the textbook in the Schedule of Classes at my alma mater and they are using ISBN 0132051524 Understanding Symbolic Logic (5th Edition) [Paperback]. Does it make sense to read through and practice this before doing LSAT logic?

Not sure if this is helpful to you, but I read A Rulebook For Arguments, and I found it helpful for the beginning of my LSAT studying. However, it's very basic and I'm not positive about how much it would help you with LSAT logic.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:17 am

EarlCat wrote:

No.

HarlandBassett

Postby HarlandBassett » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:20 pm

okay thanks everyone. i knew if i asked i'd save myself some time.

HarlandBassett

Postby HarlandBassett » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:40 pm

DeeCee wrote:

Not sure if this is helpful to you, but I read A Rulebook For Arguments, and I found it helpful for the beginning of my LSAT studying. However, it's very basic and I'm not positive about how much it would help you with LSAT logic.

obtained a copy, will be reading it during my commuting hours

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”