Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How do I boost my LSAT Score????!!!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:37 pm 

I scored a 147 on the December LSAT and have a 3.7 GPA. I already have applied to 18 schools this cycle, but now am seriously considering a retake. Unless I get lucky and get into a decent school, a retake may be my only option if I really want to go to law school.

After 4 months of studying I managed to raise my score only 2 points from my diagnostic of 145. The highest I scored during my 20+ (under timed conditioned) practice tests was a 153 4 times. Most of tests were 150 or up. I'm not sure I could score higher than around this number even if I studied starting now and took the June LSAT. Basically, I can't read fast enough and do the logic at the same time to get those big numbers. I have trouble with the logic (in all the sections, but mostly on reverse questions or questions that rely on reverse words ) more than with my ability to read fast even though I don't consider my myself a fast reader probably slow-medium to medium. Really, I feel like I missing something. It's like I have all the tools, but I can't put them together. I just don't think I can fully figure out the logic aspect of each section. By the way, I read all the PowerScore books from cover to cover, and took over 25 timed tests where I went over each question. I like to study by myself and cant afford anything other than books or self-prep material.

What should I do? Is there a trick to the LSAT or a certain logic barrier you need to pass to get in the upper 150's lower 160's? I know I can do it, but don't know what to do. Seems like I hit a plateau of 147-153 on my practice tests and thats it. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated, especially form an LSAT tutor. Also, if there's a good inexpensive counseling service anyone knows about, that would be helpful.

Post subject: Re: How do I boost my LSAT Score????!!!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:53 pm 

by powerscore books, did you mean the 'bibles'? because if not, that'd be my suggestion. You need to drill logic and do untimed tests first. Only then start timing and only after your score improves, sign up for a test. Be patient, just put in the work, you can do it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:54 pm 

wow, I'm not sure what to tell you if you already did all that self study. Did you REALLY dissect every question you got wrong or had trouble with after you took a PT? That's literally the most important part of studying, after that I'd say the LG bible is also key, which you said you did. You have to understand why you get questions wrong in order to not make the same mistake again.

If you really want to become a lawyer, I'd say to get a tutor and don't apply again until you have a 155+ score. No reason you can't improve at least 10 points on the lsat from your diagnostic (if I would have taken it cold, I'm sure it would have been in the mid or upper 140s... after 80 hrs of practice and study I got a 168 in Dec).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:56 pm 

You need to read & comprehend quickly. This is the main challenge of the LSAT. Most increase efficiency with practice tests.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:27 pm 

No need to worry. I was in a similar situation with a 150 my first test and a 158 on my second. I too was originally scoring in the low 150's on practice tests. However, after my first test, I began to average in the low to mid 160's on practices and wound up with a 158 which I am ok with. I am also a slow reader which I think affected my score overall.

Regarding my study plan - I also read the powerscore books and found that the only helpful one was the logic games. The other books for me were basically a waste of time. The rest of my self study consisted of taking as many practice tests as possible!! that was what helped me the most. By getting used to their question types I automatically spead up on my answers because I started to notice trends. Once you notice trends, it makes it a lot easier to figure out the answer before reading the answer choices (the word isn't coming to me now lol) which naturally speeds you up whether you're a quick or slow reader. I would also practice with a timer and gave myself 2 minutes less on each section (33 minutes) which forced me to take the tests quicker.

Bottom line: I cannot stress the importance of taking as many practice tests as possible.

Good luck!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:16 pm 

After months of prep, I'm scoring in the same range as the OP right now. I studied alot, my LG and LR improved, but I guess somewhere along the way I forgot how to read. I remember when I first started prepping, while going over the Superprep I was scoring (-6) untimed in the RC section. Now when I take PT's timed I'm getting around (-20) on this section, and I don't even attempt reading the last passage (I don't count guesses). I would be happy with a (-10) in RC at this point. My mind just seems to wander off alot when I'm trying to focus on reading. I'm sure my LR would improve even more if I didn't have this problem. This is very frustrating!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:22 pm 

Long, hard, intensive practice under real conditions. There is no shortcut. Take a whole year to study if necessary. Wait until next cycle. There is NO SENSE in throwing away such a good GPA. I know people with under a 2.5 gpa, and 169+ that made it into the T20, and even T14.

This is your life, don't waste your entire future employment prospects because of a damn test. Take the time to study it. Read every book on it you can find, take a test every day under real conditions. Master it. You have no idea how important it it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:50 pm 

2011Law wrote:
Did you REALLY dissect every question you got wrong or had trouble with after you took a PT? That's literally the most important part of studying.... You have to understand why you get questions wrong in order to not make the same mistake again.

This.

Taking timed practice tests over and over again is useful, but it's only part of studying, and it's not even the first part. The first part is doing a bunch of untimed practice to figure out how the LSAT works: what makes some answers right and others wrong? How do you get right answers? How do you apply the strategies that you learn from the books to test questions? After that, you start to pick up the pace and work on your timing, but always do extensive untimed review.

If your accuracy rate on the questions that you're actually getting to is under 80%, there's probably something wrong with your technique, and you need to slow down and fix that first.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:44 pm 

You can take this advice with a grain of salt, and I am not a self-help professional by any means, but you seem a little disheartened about the whole process. I can certainly understand why you would feel that way, but just reading the following quote depresses me a little bit:

Pneumatic wrote:
not sure I could score higher than around this number even if I studied starting now and took the June LSAT. Basically, I can't read fast enough and do the logic at the same time to get those big numbers. I have trouble with the logic (in all the sections, but mostly on reverse questions or questions that rely on reverse words ) more than with my ability to read fast even though I don't consider my myself a fast reader probably slow-medium to medium. Really, I feel like I missing something. It's like I have all the tools, but I can't put them together. I just don't think I can fully figure out the logic aspect of each section.

You need a better attitude about it. You seem a little obsessive about your score. You won't be able to raise the score until you learn how to study more effectively. It sounds like you have plenty of material to work with. I would go back over that stuff slowly and deliberately until it starts to sink in. Hire a tutor, take a class, whatever you have to do, but if you are confessing to others that you will never raise your score, you need a serious attitude realignment.

This next quote of yours is more appropriate.

Pneumatic wrote:
I know I can do it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:57 pm 

OnlyLivingBoyinNY wrote:
You can take this advice with a grain of salt, and I am not a self-help professional by any means, but you seem a little disheartened about the whole process. I can certainly understand why you would feel that way, but just reading the following quote depresses me a little bit:

Pneumatic wrote:
not sure I could score higher than around this number even if I studied starting now and took the June LSAT. Basically, I can't read fast enough and do the logic at the same time to get those big numbers. I have trouble with the logic (in all the sections, but mostly on reverse questions or questions that rely on reverse words ) more than with my ability to read fast even though I don't consider my myself a fast reader probably slow-medium to medium. Really, I feel like I missing something. It's like I have all the tools, but I can't put them together. I just don't think I can fully figure out the logic aspect of each section.

You need a better attitude about it. You seem a little obsessive about your score. You won't be able to raise the score until you learn how to study more effectively. It sounds like you have plenty of material to work with. I would go back over that stuff slowly and deliberately until it starts to sink in. Hire a tutor, take a class, whatever you have to do, but if you are confessing to others that you will never raise your score, you need a serious attitude realignment.

This next quote of yours is more appropriate.

Pneumatic wrote:
I know I can do it.

+1

For the first 12 PTs or so, I averaged something like -9 per LG section in an average of 50 min. This was after I had already gone through the LG Bible. That required the most time at the beginning to get better at and eventually became my best section (though on the most recent LSATs the games has become slightly harder again, esp the Dinos game *shudder*).

Again though, I'd say that if took the self study very serious and still barely improved the diag score, I can only think that you should find a great LSAT tutor.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:08 pm 

"Again though, I'd say that if took the self study very serious and still barely improved the diag score, I can only think that you should find a great LSAT tutor."[/quote]

I dissagree. I took my self study very seriously and at first did not improve much until after I took it the first time. However, like I already said above, with a lot more practice and changing methods up a bit (ex. I used a timer and gave myself 2 minutes less with 33 minutes per section) I saw a drastic difference in my PT scores (went from low 150's to mid 160's) and that was after taking like 30 PT's. I just went over old ones again and bought some new ones.

Another thing I want to point out is that tutor's and courses are GENERALLY meant for people who don't have enough self-discipline or can't study on their own for whatever the reason may be, and this doesn't seem to be the OP's problem. If you think about it, the tutor is pretty much just spelling things out for you from the book. For ex. a Kaplan tutor is anyways teaching you the "Kaplan Method" so you may as well do it yourself for a lot less money if you're a good studier.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:34 pm 

Some of the posters sound like they may benefit from focus herbal type meds.

I personally use 2; organic Valerian pills to help me relax and combat anxiety and a focus/concentration liquid from an online company called nativeremedies. They work particularly well for the pressures of LG, I find.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:44 pm 

megee333 wrote:
Some of the posters sound like they may benefit from focus herbal type meds.

I personally use 2; organic Valerian pills to help me relax and combat anxiety and a focus/concentration liquid from an online company called nativeremedies. They work particularly well for the pressures of LG, I find.

That's just messed up. You may as well use crack.