Principle-Justify questions....

colorando

Principle-Justify questions....

Postby colorando » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:24 pm

I'm in the home stretch on LSAT prep for February and feel pretty good about the test. Only one thing is tripping me up in a big way... principle questions, specifically justify ones. On a given test I will get 2-4 questions wrong per LR section and invariably one of them (on the newer tests especially) will be a principle jusitfy question. I've looked over the LRB's answer to this and they seem to shrug these off as a subset of other types of questions. But principle questions seem to be the bane of my LSAT existence and I was wondering if folks around here have come up with their own strategies for approaching these questions. Are they more frequent on newer tests? Obviously if I can lock this down it will help me out alot and I couldn't find any similar resources on this site or the web in general. Maybe this could be helpful for others with similar problems.

lawnerd1

Re: Principle-Justify questions....

Postby lawnerd1 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:37 pm

Principle questions are giving me difficulty as well. At one point I was having trouble with sufficient assumption and most strongly supported questions. I bought the CambridgeLSAT question pack and worked all the problems until the patterns of the questions emerged. Since then I have done much better on those types so I'm about to do the same for principle questions.

Hope this helps

--LinkRemoved--

Oh and just so you know (I wish I had before purchasing them): CambridgeLSAT emails you a link to the question pack. You are only allowed to view it 3 times and then the link expires, so be ready to print them out.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:31 pm

Post some specific questions and your thinking on them.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:11 pm

In essence, you're looking for something that says that the evidence is the relevant consideration in drawing the conclusion. If you have an argument that says, "Bob is an evil clown, so Sally shouldn't date Bob," then you're looking for a principle that says that Sally shouldn't date evil clowns, or that evil clowns should not be dated, or something like that, on the basis of the fact that the thing that we know about Bob is that he's an evil clown, and the thing that we're trying to conclude is that Sally shouldn't date him.

I know this sounds sort of stupid, but virtually all of them work this way.

colorando

Postby colorando » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:49 pm

Alright... so right now the only PT I have with me is #55

So of the 6 questions I got wrong in LR 2 are Principle questions

Section #1 Q 21
I chose A and the answer is B
for this question I'm not clear why B is right and A is definety wrong

Section #3 Q 17

I chose B and I see why A is the right answer. That being said I was unable to eliminate any answer choice but C. B is the worst choice, and I made it in haste but D and E are both attractive.... I guess after looking over the answers again I do see that A is right as it specifically addresses the assumption.

I think generally I find with principle questions more than any other type of question I can only eliminate one or two answer choices as opposed to 3 or 4 and that eliminating answer choices is considerably more time consuming than even typically longer questions like parallel reasoning

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:06 pm

colorando wrote:I chose A and the answer is B
for this question I'm not clear why B is right and A is definety wrong

Section #3 Q 17

I chose B and I see why A is the right answer. That being said I was unable to eliminate any answer choice but C. B is the worst choice, and I made it in haste but D and E are both attractive.... I guess after looking over the answers again I do see that A is right as it specifically addresses the assumption.

Answer choice A is about individual actions, and it doesn't say in the stimulus that one person's actions will have a decisive impact on the television shows. Basically, one person isn't necessarily going to make a difference, so it doesn't conform to this principle. B, however, holds that many people ought to buy the products advertised if the show will be canceled without those many purchases.

For #17, the argument concludes that sellers should prevent buyers from making a mistake about what they're buying. I think if you focus on the flaw in that argument, it becomes a much easier question. There's no particular reason, based on the stimulus, that buyers should have such an obligation. The correct answer offers us a reason for this judgment. Most people narrow this one down to either A or D, which is incorrect because it just suggests that sellers shouldn't actively lie to buyers. That's not strengthening our argument really, because the conclusion is about buyers making mistakes, not necessarily being tricked.

You might try to think about principles as conditional statements (buyer --> should not allow sellers to make mistakes). When you try to apply that principle to a given situation, it's only going to be relevant when you are talking about a buyer (then you can infer that person should not allow sellers to make mistakes) or about someone who is allowed to let sellers make mistakes (then you can infer that person is not a buyer). Anything outside of those situations, the principle will not be relevant.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:45 pm

Just to elaborate a little on the above, which is all true...

In 21, once you're down to A and B, you have to ask, well, what's the difference? A talks about "one," but B talks about "many" and "everyone." Other than that, they're very similar. Well, what does the argument talk about? It talks about "many" and "everyone." Thus, this is closer to what the argument is actually talking about.

In 17, E is wrong because it talks about the seller indicating in some way that a large appliance is included, which is not the issue here. The buyer might assume it without the seller indicating it.

You don't want something that just sort of generally agrees in tone with the conclusion of the argument. You want something that describes the very situation at hand and gives a rule for dealing with it.

colorando

Postby colorando » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:08 pm

Thanks for your tips. With them in mind I'm going to work through about 15-20 principle Justfy questions from a range of tests and see what we get. I'll post any that I think are particularly challenging, and hopefully this can serve as a future resource for folks that struggle with these types of questions.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”