Are PrepTests from ALL Years Useful?

Bigsby

Are PrepTests from ALL Years Useful?

Postby Bigsby » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:46 am

I only ask because I know the LSAT has changed a bunch of times. Though I know I shouldn't stress the earlier stuff as much as the later stuff, I was wondering if it would actually be a waste of time if I did peruse the earlier stuff (assuming, of course, that it won't take focus away from the later material).

And I guess, if this is true, then what is considered 'older, less important PTs'. I imagine there are certain sections that might be of less importance though I have a feeling that stuff like logic games are largely unchanged

Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks guys!!!

Pleasye

Re: Are PrepTests from ALL Years Useful?

Postby Pleasye » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:19 am

The short answer to this is: yes, all of the PT's are useful. The longer answer is still yes but with a few things to consider.

You will likely spend months prepping for this test and you will want (and need) all of the material you can get your hands on. If you were to start out drilling sections/questions from PT's in the 50's you wouldn't have enough full PT's left to take tests. The earlier tests are great for breaking up into questions types and drilling questions or doing section work (as opposed to full tests).

There have been some changes to the LSAT but the changes haven't been so big that they have rendered the old material useless. Some bigger changes to keep in mind:
Reading comprehension has gone through the biggest change. The comparative reading passages were introduced in June 2007 and have been included since then.

Logic games are generally seen as harder in earlier tests, much easier in the 40's and then back to being pretty difficult (or more tricky) in the 50's.

LR hasn't changed but the composition of the sections seems to have gone through some changes. Certain question types are asked more often than they used to be asked in previous tests.

Hope this helps :D

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:39 am

Pleasye wrote:The short answer to this is: yes, all of the PT's are useful. The longer answer is still yes but with a few things to consider.

You will likely spend months prepping for this test and you will want (and need) all of the material you can get your hands on. If you were to start out drilling sections/questions from PT's in the 50's you wouldn't have enough full PT's left to take tests. The earlier tests are great for breaking up into questions types and drilling questions or doing section work (as opposed to full tests).

There have been some changes to the LSAT but the changes haven't been so big that they have rendered the old material useless. Some bigger changes to keep in mind:
Reading comprehension has gone through the biggest change. The comparative reading passages were introduced in June 2007 and have been included since then.

Logic games are generally seen as harder in earlier tests, much easier in the 40's and then back to being pretty difficult (or more tricky) in the 50's.

LR hasn't changed but the composition of the sections seems to have gone through some changes. Certain question types are asked more often than they used to be asked in previous tests.

Hope this helps :D

^sound advice.

For me, reading comp. on the newest 10 tests was much harder than most of the the other RC sections in older tests. It wasn't so much the dual passages that made it much harder but trickier wrong answer choices and subject material that was more confusing to me.

Don't waste those newer tests by doing them early on in your study regimen.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:56 am

agreed on reading comp getting harder and a shift away from strengthen/weaken/assumption questions to principal/paradox/point at issue questions in LR.

GoldenGloves

Postby GoldenGloves » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:31 am

Pleasye wrote:
You will likely spend months prepping for this test and you will want (and need) all of the material you can get your hands on.

This little excerpt says it all. While it's important to be efficient with your time, you want to expose yourself as much as possible to different avenues the exam has taken throughout its existence. One can say, on average, RC is more difficult, there are less strengthen/weaken Q's in LR, etc., but you never know what could sneak back in...

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:20 pm

2 Timothy 3:16 - All scripture is given by inspiration of God LSAC, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:26 pm

suspicious android wrote:2 Timothy 3:16 - All scripture is given by inspiration of God LSAC, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

Well done.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”