what's more important, testing center quality or proximity?

maxpower430

what's more important, testing center quality or proximity?

Postby maxpower430 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:17 pm

i live in the nyc metro area and want to take the june test, and went to go register tonight and after a little research it looks like the two best options are brooklyn college (easier for me to get to via public transit, but didn't sound like the best environment-well mostly the half desks didn't sound great), and cuny law (sounded like great facility, but would be more difficult to get to-doesnt seem like there this is much public transit around it). so if anyone has tested at either and could give me some insight, or just general opinions, it would be much appreciated. thanks

bk1

Re: what's more important, testing center quality or proximity?

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:31 pm

How much longer would it take you to get to CUNY? Is the June test the early one or does it start later?

I would definitely err on the side of the better facility (less noise, larger desks, etc) but it may not be worth it if you have to get up significantly earlier to do so.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:35 pm

Avoid centers that have the half desks like the ones that flip up from the side. They don't provide enough room to have the test book opened up and your answer sheet next to it, so you end up having to juggle paper around and hope none of it (including your pencils) falls on the floor when you bubble and when you need to flip from page to page in the test booklet.

My original application plan was to apply to dual degree phd in psychology + J.D. programs, so I prepped for and took both the LSAT and the GRE. On GRE test day (this was before it went computerized) I was put in a giant movie theater type auditorium room with the flip up half desks. Neither the desk top nor the floor was level. My pencils kept rolling off the desk onto the floor, especially when I had to juggle the answer sheet and test booklet to transfer and bubble answers. Since the floor was sloped like in a movie theater (so all the spilled stuff flows down hill), during one section when I grabbed the answer sheet to bubble, all my pencils fell onto the floor, rolled down under the seat in front of me, got some momentum going and managed to roll down two more rows. I said F'k this and canceled my GRE score (I had been getting near perfect GRE scores on practice tests leading up to test day). That is why I only have a J.D and not also a phd in psychology! It was those darn little flipper desks that totally suck!

stilles

Postby stilles » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:28 am

I would say quality; to compensate for the longer route wake up earlier the next 2 weeks and make a few trips to the test center.

gluck

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:33 am

Flip desks = -5 off your score

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:42 am

I had a two hour drive to my test center and used it to drink my coffee and blast music, really centered me.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:44 am

I vote for quality, my advice look for a law school which serves as a testing center. I took my LSAT at one and the desks were huge, the room was spacious and the seats were nice and it was an overall good experience and worth the short drive.

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:48 am

tooswolle wrote:I vote for quality, my advice look for a law school which serves as a testing center. I took my LSAT at one and the desks were huge, the room was spacious and the seats were nice and it was an overall good experience and worth the short drive.

This. As someone who took it twice at two different centers, there is without a doubt an advantage to a comfortable environment -- make the drive

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:56 am

just make sure there is a bathroom near the testing room

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:17 am

Center quality is more important IMO. Especially since you're taking the June test which starts at 12:30PM, that gives you plenty of time to get to the test center.

Ignatius Reilly

Postby Ignatius Reilly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:28 am

Quality. Get someone to drive you. Public transit is horrible before a test.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”