Finally Broke the 150 LSAT Barrier - 19 Days to Reach 160

LSATtom
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:27 am

Finally Broke the 150 LSAT Barrier - 19 Days to Reach 160

Postby LSATtom » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:43 am

Hello all...long time reader first time poster...

Basically the subject says it all. I've been studying since early October for the LSAT, and struggled with it nearly every step of the way. My greatest weakness was the logic games.

Unfortunately during the beginning of my prep, I was only putting in about 2-3 hours a day. I had originally planned to take the June 2011 LSAT, however during mid/late November I realized that most schools cut their applications off in mid-March, if not sooner. My school of choice is CUNY Queens school of Law.

Once I realized that, I knew I had to amp up my studying - I went from 2-3 hours a day to full time - 8 hours plus. That includes taking prep tests, printing out and doing every logic game I can get my hands on, studying all the PowerScore bibles, and I am currently enrolled in a PowerScore course.

When I first started, I was scoring in the 130s to high 140s. It was so discouraging but I held the line and pressed onward. I'm happy to say that I finally feel as though I've made a minor breakthrough, as it's starting to make 'some sense'. I can now complete most of the test on time, I'm much more comfortable with logic games, I understand the language much better, and the whole sufficient vs necessity situation is coming together.

Since I really want to get into this year's fall semester, I HAVE to take February's LSAT. My best LSAT prep so far has been 155. I'm now scoring in the low 150s, but I really want to get into the upper 150s or even 160+ in order to make myself highly competitive. I know my greatest weakness right now is Logical Reasoning. I can cobble my way through the Logic Games and Reading Comprehension, but I'm getting killed in the LR section; I'll do well in one section, but get 11 wrong in a row in another. That needs to end. (actually this horror story has been mitigated as I've begun to improve)

Basically my strategy between now and February 12 is to dump as much time as humanly possible into improving my LR - tons and tons of questions and review. After all of that, my big question to this wise community is this - has anyone ever increased their score by 10 points in their greatest hours of desperation? If I had till June, I'd nail this test. I'm on the verge of a major breakthrough (is that common? do people know what I mean by that?), hopefully it will come to full fruition within the next few days or a week.

Thank you!

SLS_AMG
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:18 pm

Re: Finally Broke the 150 LSAT Barrier - 19 Days to Reach 160

Postby SLS_AMG » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:05 pm

As you've already semi-attested, breakthroughs on the LSAT happen randomly and suddenly. Many, many people get stuck in a certain score range and feel as if they'll never improve, then suddenly start PT'ing 5 or 6 points higher. Sometimes it seems as though something "clicks." Other times (and this is especially the case with LR), you start getting better at identifying incorrect answer choices that you might have chosen at one time. In short: yes, you can see sudden spurts of improvement in a short time. Will you? Impossible to say.

I got a 164 in December after PT'ing at around 168. Not incredibly disappointing, but I completely bombed RC to the point that I signed up for February after thinking that December would be my last LSAT. I took a month off with minimal studying, started studying a little every day a couple weeks ago, and took my first practice test last week. I got a 176 - my highest score ever. I have no idea what happened during the month off - and perhaps it was an anomaly - but I feel like I've relaxed and I now take the LSAT less seriously. Studying and everything is great and will improve your score. But I'm honestly beginning to believe that your attitude with regards to the test is perhaps the most underrated factor in your overall success. So, don't let it consume your life!

User avatar
luckyme
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:41 pm

Re: Finally Broke the 150 LSAT Barrier - 19 Days to Reach 160

Postby luckyme » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:07 pm

in before wait a cycle

LSATtom
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:27 am

Re: Finally Broke the 150 LSAT Barrier - 19 Days to Reach 160

Postby LSATtom » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:30 pm

18 days...that's 1 point a day...positive thoughts...positive thoughts...

User avatar
RareBreed
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:48 pm

Re: Finally Broke the 150 LSAT Barrier - 19 Days to Reach 160

Postby RareBreed » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:59 pm

I really want to get into this year's fall semester
Seriously, what's the rush? Wait until next cycle. This test will determine a large part of your future; so look to do as well as you possibly can. Also, as another poster suggested, ease up on the studying - 8 hours a day is not healthy or productive. Relax a bit, wait a cycle, and own the test.

LSATtom
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:27 am

Re: Finally Broke the 150 LSAT Barrier - 19 Days to Reach 160

Postby LSATtom » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:00 pm

To quote Office Space, "I really hate my job, and I don't want to go any more..."

Well I don't really hate my job (I actually have a very good one), but I'm ready for a change sooner rather than later. The thought of waiting another year+ is a bit nauseating. If I can fulfill my goal now, why not take the chance?

I do understand your point - don't get me wrong. But I have the February LSAT to worry about right now. I'll worry about the June LSAT once I get my grade from this round. :D

trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: Finally Broke the 150 LSAT Barrier - 19 Days to Reach 160

Postby trudat15 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:13 pm

LSATtom wrote:To quote Office Space, "I really hate my job, and I don't want to go any more..."

Well I don't really hate my job (I actually have a very good one), but I'm ready for a change sooner rather than later. The thought of waiting another year+ is a bit nauseating. If I can fulfill my goal now, why not take the chance?

I do understand your point - don't get me wrong. But I have the February LSAT to worry about right now. I'll worry about the June LSAT once I get my grade from this round. :D


If you have a good job, wait. You'll give the economy one more year to rebound, and you wont be so late in the app process. Apply Sept 1 and you'll have better opportunities to get into good schools. Plus you can get your LSAT even higher, which can result in $$. There is no downside.

LSATtom
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:27 am

Re: Finally Broke the 150 LSAT Barrier - 19 Days to Reach 160

Postby LSATtom » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:33 pm

Agreed, you have many good points. There is no downside to waiting - I'm sure by June I'll be hitting 160+ regularly. But it can't hurt to try and achieve my goal and see what happens with the February LSAT. Besides, CUNY Queens does not cut off admissions until March 15, and there is no competitive disadvantage for applying later rather than sooner.

trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: Finally Broke the 150 LSAT Barrier - 19 Days to Reach 160

Postby trudat15 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:55 pm

LSATtom wrote:Agreed, you have many good points. There is no downside to waiting - I'm sure by June I'll be hitting 160+ regularly. But it can't hurt to try and achieve my goal and see what happens with the February LSAT. Besides, CUNY Queens does not cut off admissions until March 15, and there is no competitive disadvantage for applying later rather than sooner.


The difference is you will be going to CUNY Queens at sticker instead of for free. But if you have 200k to throw away, go for it.

EDIT: As an aside, dont go to any TTT or TTTT at sticker, for the love of God. You'll end up in the NY Times in 3 years as they ask about what went wrong and why you have so much debt.

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: Finally Broke the 150 LSAT Barrier - 19 Days to Reach 160

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:18 pm

trudat15 wrote:
LSATtom wrote:Agreed, you have many good points. There is no downside to waiting - I'm sure by June I'll be hitting 160+ regularly. But it can't hurt to try and achieve my goal and see what happens with the February LSAT. Besides, CUNY Queens does not cut off admissions until March 15, and there is no competitive disadvantage for applying later rather than sooner.


The difference is you will be going to CUNY Queens at sticker instead of for free. But if you have 200k to throw away, go for it.

EDIT: As an aside, dont go to any TTT or TTTT at sticker, for the love of God. You'll end up in the NY Times in 3 years as they ask about what went wrong and why you have so much debt.


CUNY Queens will not leave him in 200 K debt, it is a state school and is relatively cheap. Although, I don't advise you to go here. Wait a cycle, study your ass off, get at least over a 160, preferably over a 170. Profit.

trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: Finally Broke the 150 LSAT Barrier - 19 Days to Reach 160

Postby trudat15 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:32 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
trudat15 wrote:
LSATtom wrote:Agreed, you have many good points. There is no downside to waiting - I'm sure by June I'll be hitting 160+ regularly. But it can't hurt to try and achieve my goal and see what happens with the February LSAT. Besides, CUNY Queens does not cut off admissions until March 15, and there is no competitive disadvantage for applying later rather than sooner.


The difference is you will be going to CUNY Queens at sticker instead of for free. But if you have 200k to throw away, go for it.

EDIT: As an aside, dont go to any TTT or TTTT at sticker, for the love of God. You'll end up in the NY Times in 3 years as they ask about what went wrong and why you have so much debt.


CUNY Queens will not leave him in 200 K debt, it is a state school and is relatively cheap. Although, I don't advise you to go here. Wait a cycle, study your ass off, get at least over a 160, preferably over a 170. Profit.


Didnt realize it was so cheap. But regardless, OP should wait and go for free (or to a better school) with a higher lsat.

User avatar
Nikrall
Posts: 191
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:25 pm

Re: Finally Broke the 150 LSAT Barrier - 19 Days to Reach 160

Postby Nikrall » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:23 pm

trudat15 wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
trudat15 wrote:
LSATtom wrote:Agreed, you have many good points. There is no downside to waiting - I'm sure by June I'll be hitting 160+ regularly. But it can't hurt to try and achieve my goal and see what happens with the February LSAT. Besides, CUNY Queens does not cut off admissions until March 15, and there is no competitive disadvantage for applying later rather than sooner.


The difference is you will be going to CUNY Queens at sticker instead of for free. But if you have 200k to throw away, go for it.

EDIT: As an aside, dont go to any TTT or TTTT at sticker, for the love of God. You'll end up in the NY Times in 3 years as they ask about what went wrong and why you have so much debt.


CUNY Queens will not leave him in 200 K debt, it is a state school and is relatively cheap. Although, I don't advise you to go here. Wait a cycle, study your ass off, get at least over a 160, preferably over a 170. Profit.


Didnt realize it was so cheap. But regardless, OP should wait and go for free (or to a better school) with a higher lsat.


So you admit you don't know what the hell you are talking about, but want to give advice anyway, eh?

OP wants to do public interest law. CUNY isn't ranked very high. But if you want to do public interest law, CUNY is a GREAT place to go. Is it as good as a T-14? Probably not. Is OP going to get into a T-14? Probably not.

Basically what he should do, if going this year is important to him, is go for February. Apply to CUNY. If he doesn't get in, then re-take and apply next year. If he does get in, well fabulous.

Also CUNY isn't "relatively" cheap. It is dirt cheap. It is $6,230.85 a semester for NY residents. That is $12,000 a year. Oh, and because of the cost and their mission it is very, very hard for someone to go to CUNY for "free" based on their LSAT score. I doubt I could have gone for free to CUNY and I ended up going to NYU. Its just the way CUNY works.

LSATtom
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:27 am

Re: Finally Broke the 150 LSAT Barrier - 19 Days to Reach 160

Postby LSATtom » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:54 pm

Basically what he should do, if going this year is important to him, is go for February. Apply to CUNY. If he doesn't get in, then re-take and apply next year. If he does get in, well fabulous.


Thank you :D. Yep, CUNY is great for public service law, which I'm interested in. So it's a perfect fit. And you describe my strategy exactly - if I get a competitive LSAT score this February, great. If not, there's always the June LSAT, and by then I'll probably be nailing 160+ regularly. I'll do it - just a matter of when. And sooner is much preferable than later.

User avatar
Dotson525
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:40 pm

Re: Finally Broke the 150 LSAT Barrier - 19 Days to Reach 160

Postby Dotson525 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:41 am

I too noticed a slight weakness in LR. However, focusing all attention upon this section may not help. I noticed that my RC could use some improvement. Did a few changes, and was able to improve score within a day! Also within LR there were certain question types that I continued to get incorrect. I would review those type within the LR bible and ExamKrackers LR, write notes, and even record myself explaining questions from PTs (including reasons why certain answers were incorrect). Finally decided to contact a friend that is currently teaching. Explained the situation, and he stated that it was the "skill" that I was not mastering. He used an analogy of "cracks within a wall". Suggested that I write out the question. After reviewing, I realized where the "cracks" were steming from. Increased my overall score by 8 points in one day. I also keep a log listing "tricks" that helped and to try, when approaching the sections.

Hope this helps, good luck!! :) I'm retaking in Feb as well. Unable to do so in June.

trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: Finally Broke the 150 LSAT Barrier - 19 Days to Reach 160

Postby trudat15 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:36 am

Nikrall wrote:
So you admit you don't know what the hell you are talking about, but want to give advice anyway, eh?

OP wants to do public interest law. CUNY isn't ranked very high. But if you want to do public interest law, CUNY is a GREAT place to go. Is it as good as a T-14? Probably not. Is OP going to get into a T-14? Probably not.

Basically what he should do, if going this year is important to him, is go for February. Apply to CUNY. If he doesn't get in, then re-take and apply next year. If he does get in, well fabulous.

Also CUNY isn't "relatively" cheap. It is dirt cheap. It is $6,230.85 a semester for NY residents. That is $12,000 a year. Oh, and because of the cost and their mission it is very, very hard for someone to go to CUNY for "free" based on their LSAT score. I doubt I could have gone for free to CUNY and I ended up going to NYU. Its just the way CUNY works.


Substitute "free" for "money" and its the same thing. Total COA at Cuny is still just under 90k over three years, which is still a lot of money.
Obviously if going this year is that important to him, then he should do what his only option is, and that's take in Feb, which would make anyone's advice on that topic moot. But if he just broke 150 now, and he has 2.5 weeks to get above median, it's going to be a big challenge. Coupled with the fact that he is confident that he would be averaging 160s by June (well above their 75th), and has a good job now, I dont know if I would be in that much of a hurry.

But again, if you must go now, go for it. Just giving my opinion that if you can get 160s it'd be worth the wait (good job, extra year to let legal market heal, etc).

OP to answer your original question, yes, you can have a breakthrough. I wouldnt be banking on it in two weeks, but it's definitely possible. I had mine very randomly in the middle of studying one day that got me to a 10 pt increase in PTs. Good luck.

User avatar
Nikrall
Posts: 191
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:25 pm

Re: Finally Broke the 150 LSAT Barrier - 19 Days to Reach 160

Postby Nikrall » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:16 am

trudat15 wrote:
Nikrall wrote:
So you admit you don't know what the hell you are talking about, but want to give advice anyway, eh?

OP wants to do public interest law. CUNY isn't ranked very high. But if you want to do public interest law, CUNY is a GREAT place to go. Is it as good as a T-14? Probably not. Is OP going to get into a T-14? Probably not.

Basically what he should do, if going this year is important to him, is go for February. Apply to CUNY. If he doesn't get in, then re-take and apply next year. If he does get in, well fabulous.

Also CUNY isn't "relatively" cheap. It is dirt cheap. It is $6,230.85 a semester for NY residents. That is $12,000 a year. Oh, and because of the cost and their mission it is very, very hard for someone to go to CUNY for "free" based on their LSAT score. I doubt I could have gone for free to CUNY and I ended up going to NYU. Its just the way CUNY works.


Substitute "free" for "money" and its the same thing. Total COA at Cuny is still just under 90k over three years, which is still a lot of money.
Obviously if going this year is that important to him, then he should do what his only option is, and that's take in Feb, which would make anyone's advice on that topic moot. But if he just broke 150 now, and he has 2.5 weeks to get above median, it's going to be a big challenge. Coupled with the fact that he is confident that he would be averaging 160s by June (well above their 75th), and has a good job now, I dont know if I would be in that much of a hurry.

But again, if you must go now, go for it. Just giving my opinion that if you can get 160s it'd be worth the wait (good job, extra year to let legal market heal, etc).

OP to answer your original question, yes, you can have a breakthrough. I wouldnt be banking on it in two weeks, but it's definitely possible. I had mine very randomly in the middle of studying one day that got me to a 10 pt increase in PTs. Good luck.


Except that:

1) Largely CUNY doesn't give scholarships based on LSAT score. Hence waiting a year and getting a higher score won't let him go to CUNY for any cheaper.

2) To go to a school better than CUNY for public interest he would have to do MUCH better than just "in the 160's". He would have to get into the high 160's/low 170's. As I said, he would basically have to go to a T-14 school and if he wanted to stay in the NY area, that would be Columbia or NYU which, no disrespect to the OP, ain't gonna happen.

As a general rule, whether schools are good at a specific topic doesn't really matter. However CUNY is different. CUNY is an entire school devoted to public interest law, and hence has a very good reputation among public interest organizations, especially in NYC.

LSATtom
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:27 am

Re: Finally Broke the 150 LSAT Barrier - 19 Days to Reach 160

Postby LSATtom » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:38 pm

Well....I got my score - 154!

Not too bad...I'm sure if I had more time I could crack 160...

User avatar
OnlyLivingBoyinNY
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:09 am

Re: Finally Broke the 150 LSAT Barrier - 19 Days to Reach 160

Postby OnlyLivingBoyinNY » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:53 pm

Hey congratulations on your score Tom!




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 34iplaw, bearedman8, jagerbom79, trav13 and 16 guests