how to take advantage of tutoring sessions?

stilles

how to take advantage of tutoring sessions?

Postby stilles » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:39 am

have a few more tutoring sessions i prepaid for, wondering how i can maximize its usefulness. have already taken plenty of pts, gone through bibles and such. is going over the answers i dont understand good enough? BTW scoring 165-170 range.

thanks

matt@manhattanlsat

Re: how to take advantage of tutoring sessions?

Postby matt@manhattanlsat » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:34 pm

That's not how I would spend the time. Separate your practice tests by a few days and in between work on finding and correcting one or two weaknesses. Sit down with the tutor and talk about how the test went. Show him/her your results and have them look for trends either in question type, concept applied within question, game type, etc. Make sure you get homework from you tutor that reflects the areas of the test you worked on together.

In short... find something and fix it, and do this as many times as you can between now and the LSAT. If you fix just 2 or 3 weaknesses, you can dramatically increase your score.

Good luck!

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:41 am

The tutor, if (s)he is a good one should be dictating the curriculum and focus of the tutoring time. That is what you are paying for, an expert to diagnose your LSAT condition, construct a treatment plan/regimen/strategy, and then carry it out with you including monitoring your progress, fine tuning and making adjustments based on your progress, etc.

There is a problem if you have to create/are responsible for coming up with the lesson plans for meetings with a tutor you have already been working with since that is the tutors job, not yours.

Have you asked your tutor what you should do next? That would be the right thing to do, and if (s)he doesn't have a good answer and continuing study plan advice tailored to your progress and situation, ask for a refund of your unspent pre-paid fees.

stilles

Postby stilles » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:45 pm

Thanks for the replies--both were very useful.

I contacted my tutor and she was very helpful and concerned, offering me 2 free sessions, and timeline/assessment/hw.

Heres to Feb!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”