Manhattan LSAT?

arism87

Manhattan LSAT?

Postby arism87 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:26 am

I'm certain this has been discussed at some point, but as it happens I'm terrible at using the search functions on this site.

Does anyone have experiences working with Manhattan LSAT? I'm starting the interview process but a little nervous.

Specifically, once you get through a pretty rigorous training period, you are a probational teacher-- you have to average the TOP rating (not just average or above average) on a survey completed by your students to maintain employment with them. This is all well and good, except that if they let you go because of an above average rating you have signed a non-compete agreement to not tutor for TWO YEARS.

This makes me nervous.

Thoughts?

LSAT Blog

Re: Manhattan LSAT?

Postby LSAT Blog » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:08 pm

One of their reps, Noah, frequents the forums pretty regularly and should be able to address your concern.

Non-compete agreements are pretty standard. They wouldn't want to train someone who then goes out and competes with them.

At the same time, averaging the highest possible rating sounds like something that'd be difficult to achieve. Are you sure that you're understanding their terms correctly?

Based on what you said, it sounds to me that if just one student were to rate you as "average" or "above average", that'd pull down your average rating below "top", and you'd be fired.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:12 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:One of their reps, Noah, frequents the forums pretty regularly and should be able to address your concern.

Non-compete agreements are pretty standard. They wouldn't want to train someone who then goes out and competes with them.

At the same time, averaging the highest possible rating sounds like something that'd be difficult to achieve. Are you sure that you're understanding their terms correctly?

Based on what you said, it sounds to me that if just one student were to rate you as "average" or "above average", that'd pull down your average rating below "top", and you'd be fired.

Yeah, exactly. I quote: "To pass the provisional teaching phase, you must average the TOP rating on your student evaluations.... note that average or even above-average ratings do not make the cut. Teachers who do not pass the provisional teaching phase end their employment with Manhattan LSAT"

I guess what they mean by averaging the top rating is that if you got 60% top ratings and 40% above average it might still "round up" to top... but still.

LSATWIZ

Postby LSATWIZ » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:15 pm

We're not Manhattan LSAT, but I can say a lot of those ratings is personality. If you're young and can relate to them, you'd get good reviews. The students just want to learn a little bit, and feel like you care about them. Every tutor who has done that has been successful with us.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:22 am

Non compete contracts are very difficult to enforce; depending on what state you're in they might be completely invalid for low level employees like tutors. They're generally just used to scare employees away from pursuing their own best interests. If they let you go, you can find a job or go on your own and almost definitely not worry about it. However, some companies will shy away from other companies former tutors. You can largely solve that problem by not listing any former tutoring companies as employers when applying.

Another thing, I've found LSAT-prep students who bother to do any sort of evaluation to be pretty generous. LSAT classes usually have a congenial atmosphere since they're ungraded.

Out of curiosity, how many hours do they say you're likely to get? I know they have a crazy high hourly salary, I've always wondered if you can get a decent amount of hours with them.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:13 am

suspicious android wrote:Non compete contracts are very difficult to enforce; depending on what state you're in they might be completely invalid for low level employees like tutors. They're generally just used to scare employees away from pursuing their own best interests. If they let you go, you can find a job or go on your own and almost definitely not worry about it. However, some companies will shy away from other companies former tutors. You can largely solve that problem by not listing any former tutoring companies as employers when applying.

Another thing, I've found LSAT-prep students who bother to do any sort of evaluation to be pretty generous. LSAT classes usually have a congenial atmosphere since they're ungraded.

Out of curiosity, how many hours do they say you're likely to get? I know they have a crazy high hourly salary, I've always wondered if you can get a decent amount of hours with them.

Yeah I figured it wouldn't be enforced but it still bothers me! I didn't ask about hours, although I meant to, I've been wondering myself. They say the minimum is 3/week, max is "up to you" so no idea. I'll get back to you after my next interview!

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:36 pm

I'm happy to answer this - we're proud of this whole process and hope that any of the superstar LSAT teachers who watch this forum will apply for jobs with us.

We have a pretty demanding audition process. We extend an offer to fewer than 5% of folks who have made it past an initial resume filter (i.e. they apply with 99th percent score and 2 yrs. teaching experience). Since we're very picky, we're confident that our new teachers always get stellar ratings. We won't put a person in front of a class before they're ready. The only person who didn't make it through training dropped out because it conflicted with other obligations. Once we hire a teacher, we're committed to him or her, and we invest heavily in training.

As for hours, we are a teacher-centered company (with student-centered classes :) ). Before we hire someone, if it's in a new market, we find out what the teacher's hours needs are and make sure we can match those (usually by having them teach online as well as in-person). However, it's usually not a problem as we keep our classes capped at 18, so we run classes with fewer students than other companies. Overall, we believe that if our teachers are treated and paid like professionals, they'll act (and teach) like pros, and then stick with us (we - both us and Manhattan GMAT/GRE have near 0% teacher turnover, as opposed to some companies, where there's close to 100% teacher turnover). All of our teachers were filled to the brim with students last season - with students getting turned away at the end of the season - and we have folks work on curriculum projects, sprucing up our forums, etc. during off season.

Sorry for the rant, but we're hungry for more teachers. And, we're such a high-paying, pro-teacher company, that it sort of makes me dizzy to see a conversation wondering if we'd be a good place to work! I know some people get scared by the ratings requirements, but trust me, it works out quite nicely if you get hired. If anyone has questions about working for us, feel free to pm me or to reach out to our offices.

Good luck, arism87!

arism87

Postby arism87 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:41 pm

Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:I'm happy to answer this - we're proud of this whole process and hope that any of the superstar LSAT teachers who watch this forum will apply for jobs with us.

We have a pretty demanding audition process. We extend an offer to fewer than 5% of folks who have made it past an initial resume filter (i.e. they apply with 99th percent score and 2 yrs. teaching experience). Since we're very picky, we're confident that our new teachers always get stellar ratings. We won't put a person in front of a class before they're ready. The only person who didn't make it through training dropped out because it conflicted with other obligations. Once we hire a teacher, we're committed to him or her, and we invest heavily in training.

As for hours, we are a teacher-centered company (with student-centered classes :) ). Before we hire someone, if it's in a new market, we find out what the teacher's hours needs are and make sure we can match those (usually by having them teach online as well as in-person). However, it's usually not a problem as we keep our classes capped at 18, so we run classes with fewer students than other companies. Overall, we believe that if our teachers are treated and paid like professionals, they'll act (and teach) like pros, and then stick with us (we - both us and Manhattan GMAT/GRE have near 0% teacher turnover, as opposed to some companies, where there's close to 100% teacher turnover). All of our teachers were filled to the brim with students last season - with students getting turned away at the end of the season - and we have folks work on curriculum projects, sprucing up our forums, etc. during off season.

Sorry for the rant, but we're hungry for more teachers. And, we're such a high-paying, pro-teacher company, that it sort of makes me dizzy to see a conversation wondering if we'd be a good place to work! I know some people get scared by the ratings requirements, but trust me, it works out quite nicely if you get hired. If anyone has questions about working for us, feel free to pm me or to reach out to our offices.

Good luck, arism87!

Thank you very much! The woman who held my interview made me much more comfortable with it, and I'm looking forward to my online interview. I may just be PMing you in the future :) I will say that so far I'm really impressed!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”