Personal LSAT tutoring. What rates to charge?

Ship87

Personal LSAT tutoring. What rates to charge?

Postby Ship87 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:08 pm

Hey all,

I'm thinking about putting up posters for personal LSAT tutoring in my area since I've scored a 171 & 177 and I have some experience tutoring people for classes and hs students for the SAT. If anyone here has done this before, do you have any advice on worked well for you and what didn't both in terms of advertisement and actual tutoring, and also what kind of rates did you charge? I live in a rural area so for most students in order to attend group tutoring with test prep companies they would have to drive 30-60min away. I appreciate any advice, tips, and warnings you may have.

PhiloLogicGames

Re: Personal LSAT tutoring. What rates to charge?

Postby PhiloLogicGames » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:32 pm

Hm. All I've got to offer is a warning: if you can't get an uninterested person (preferably a significant other or friend) doing formal logic with ease within half an hour of you teaching them, you may want to examine whether or not you can actually tutor the LSAT. Great LSAT scores don't always translate into great LSAT teachers. You don't want your paying pupils to have a shred of confusion or disappointment in their selection of you.

Then again, I don't know you and you could very well rock your pupils' socks off. If that's the case, charge your worth, rural or not.

Ship87

Postby Ship87 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:58 pm

Thanks for the reply Philo. After some tutoring experience I believe that I'm a fairly good tutor. I've done physics & econ tutoring, so even though those are subject based I believe I can help people improve on the LSAT. That said, I'm still not sure what a reasonable rate is to charge especially when you are just starting to tutor the LSAT. Whats the usual rates?

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:19 pm

$25-200/hr

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:36 pm

To echo what suspicious android said, there's a wide range of rates out there (as well as varying degrees of quality).

Start at something on the lower end, or even tutor for free at first to refine your teaching and determine whether LSAT tutoring is something you have a knack for, and, if you're successful, work your way up from there, little-by-little.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:24 am

Depends on your market. A rural area probably isn't going to have people beating down your door for LSAT tutoring. Thus, even if you're a god among tutors, your rates will probably have to be at the lower end. If you want this to be a full-time gig, consider adding online tutoring or moving to a major metropolitan area with one or two big universities.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”