Started at a 140...now scoring at low 150's. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
surfnyc09

New

Started at a 140...now scoring at low 150's.

Post by surfnyc09 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:39 am

I'm going to take the test in Feb. Is there anyone that has started this low and has scored higher possibly in the 160's or 70's. Please do tell!

Camelasky

New

Re: Started at a 140...now scoring at low 150's.

Post by Camelasky » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:44 am

It's not impossible by any means, but you're in for a lot of work. I scored 151 on my first Diagnostic and 169 on the Dec LSAT so clearly score improvements can be made, but you have to really want it. For me, that meant studying on a regular basis (almost every day) for the better part of 5 months, taking multiple PTs and the TM online course.

Unfortunately, I doubt you have enough time to make it to the 170s by Feb. You'd probably be able to break 160 if you buckle down and rock out for the next month.

stilles

New

Post by stilles » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:49 pm

Switch your test date to June. I believe the deadline is the 23rd. Good luck.

gens1tb

Bronze

Post by gens1tb » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:05 pm

You only have about three weeks before the exam.

I'd really suggest waiting until June. Unless you start consistently testing higher or have some sort of "aha!" moment (does this even happen?), you're not going to improve as much as you possibly could. Actually, how long have you been studying?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:08 pm

wait unitl june. Focus on your weak areas, and drill them daily. Do every question 3 times. First time look for the foundations, second time narrow down the answer choices, third time aim for speed. Do this for RC< LR< LG. Once you have done enough drilling for each question type, start doing timed section work. first few sections, just aim to get all questions right. Then work on speed, tiimg, and accuracy. THen work on back to back, then back to back to back section work. Finally start doing 5 section tests in timed conditions

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSATtom

New

Post by LSATtom » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:28 am

Wow...you're in the same boat as I am in with only a few weeks to go (started in the 130s and now hitting the low 150s). I don't think 170 is possible for us, unless a miracle happens (a miracle being the necessary condition for getting a 170...and 170 being sufficient to have crossed the threshold of the miraculous....har har har). But I am definitely hoping for the high 150s or 160. It's going to take a lot of work between now and then - just to get a few more points. I'm going to take the test anyway come February 12 - who knows, perhaps the adrenaline and nerves will help.

It's a nice feeling when you finally break into the 150s. It's as if a light has finally come on, but there's still so much left to do!!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:00 pm

LSATtom wrote:Wow...you're in the same boat as I am in with only a few weeks to go (started in the 130s and now hitting the low 150s). I don't think 170 is possible for us, unless a miracle happens (a miracle being the necessary condition for getting a 170...and 170 being sufficient to have crossed the threshold of the miraculous....har har har). But I am definitely hoping for the high 150s or 160. It's going to take a lot of work between now and then - just to get a few more points. I'm going to take the test anyway come February 12 - who knows, perhaps the adrenaline and nerves will help.

It's a nice feeling when you finally break into the 150s. It's as if a light has finally come on, but there's still so much left to do!!

Hate to burst your bubble, but unless you are consistently practicing in the high 150's or 160s, dont coubt on scoring in that range. Jumpiong from 130 and 140 to 150's is a great accomplishment, but if your ultimate goal is 160, you would be better off studying and prepping for the june test. It is not uncommon for people to score a few points lower than their pt average on the actual LSAT, or within their consistent pt range. You would be setting yourself up for disappointment if you think you are going to score 160, when your best pt was 157, and you were in the 154-156 range. You know you can learn the test, now its a question of getting the tricky spots conquored, and working on pacing and difficult question type game planning ( what trap answers do you fall for? Why do you pick the answer you do? what are the trends of teh correct answer choice, and what do you do differently) You have madew a great lea[, but if your goal is 160, i would recommend rpeparing to take the june test. The february test is non disclosed, so you wont konw your wrong answer choices, and your weak areas on the real test. Keep up the good work, you will be fine.

LSATtom

New

Post by LSATtom » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:21 pm

Thank you. I am under no illusions - I know that hitting 160 this time will be very difficult - It's a whole other realm of knowledge that I have yet to obtain. But I am trying to keep a positive attitude about the whole thing. I'm still going to take the test and see what happens - I realize that some people actually do worse on the real thing than their preps. So who knows, I may even get in the upper 140 range come February 12. But maybe I'll get lucky and hit the upper 150s and have a shot at CUNY Law.

The trap answers I tend to fall for revolve mostly around the harder questions where I simply don't understand what the heck they're saying. I would LOVE to have until June and break everything down statistically and then keep track of progress. I think that will be my main focus after this turn - really tear the wrong answers apart and see why they're getting me with the hard questions (more so than I do now, currently I spend most of the time reading and trying to comprehend the work). And yes - the LSAT is definitely learnable - I used to have the same difficulty with 'easier' questions, but I've largely conquered those.

Time time time...that's the whole trick with this LSAT thing I've learned. Ultimately, I may need more of it.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:13 pm

If you're missing a similar number of questions on each section, focus most of your attention on the Logic Games. If you're missing 10-15 of those every time, it's theeasiest number to reduce. Could boost your score 10 pts

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Berdman

New

Post by Berdman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:26 am

If it at all helps, I went from a 146 (depressing...I know) to a 162 (low by TLS standards :P) in 4 weeks practicing a lot of the things taught on this very website.

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:30 am

Never took a true diagnostic, but it would have been in about the upper 140s I'm sure. After the LR and LG Bibles and 30 PTs, I got a 168 in December. I think I could have gone a few points higher if I did 10 more PTs actually, so my advice is to do as many as you can and have no regrets.

surfnyc09

New

Post by surfnyc09 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:57 am

thanks for all the advice. To be honest, I have taken 20+ practice tests including the Blueprint course and have been able to score high 150 low 160's on older tests.

HOWEVER, the newer ones like October 2010 ripped me a new a**hole.

I don't know what this means b/c I feel like I have seen a couple of the problems on the older ones that I scored high by my standards. Because of this, I don't know how indict. this really is.

With less than 2 weeks left and the the mother effin superbowl coming up, I feel like the best strategy for anyone taking Feb is to be optimistic and shoot for the stars.

Grab the PT that you fkn raped while you were studying and know that IT IS POSSIBLE to rip open the LSAT's rectum and show it who's boss.

anyone who is au contraire, please please speak up and suggest an alternative.

DarkPhantom

Bronze

Post by DarkPhantom » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:23 pm

Do PTs 55-61, and if you are NOT scoring in your expected range....I don't think there is much of a chance that you will score higher.

i.e. my first cold diag was in 140s, this was last year, took the test and bombed it. been studying for about ~2 months and i'm scoring in the upper 150s, but just having a hard time focusing. Individual sections combined will give me the score I want, but sitting through all 5 is what is killing me, so I am just taking as many 5 section PTs as I can.

LSATtom

New

Post by LSATtom » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:14 pm

Well...one week to go.

I'm still scoring about 149-151. I'm making some good gains in the LR section - the most correct I ever got in the last PT. But this gain has been at the expense of the logic games - only 10 correct in my last test. This section seems to be my greatest nemesis. We'll see what happens come Saturday, but in the mean time, I'm going to refocus on games and see if I can penetrate a bit deeper into the 150s come game day...

Good luck to everyone taking the February test!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”