Advice for my friend?

BrightLine

Advice for my friend?

Postby BrightLine » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:47 pm

I am finished with the LSAT, so my "friend" is not me :)

I know what I did and I know that it worked for me, but I am not sure that it is replicable for others. I am looking for advice to give him on how to create a structured preparation plan.

1) What is the best way to prepare for logic games (other than LG bible)
2) What is the best way to prepare for logical reasoning
3) Has anyone had success improving an RC score, if so what methods are used?
4) If someone gets very nervous on timed tests, how do they cope here?
5) Generally, what is the best way to build skills while learning timing of sections and taking entire PT's

Any advice is appreciated.

dextermorgan

Re: Advice for my friend?

Postby dextermorgan » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:56 pm

Does he have access to the internet?

If so, point him to http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41657

If not, tell him to get internet and then continue with the above advice.

BrightLine

Postby BrightLine » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:04 pm

dextermorgan wrote:Does he have access to the internet?

If so, point him to http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41657

If not, tell him to get internet and then continue with the above advice.

Yea, I saw that but that seems excessive to me. Great if someone can do it, but that seems too intense.

Oh, and thanks for responding like that. I am a huge fan of internet tough guys.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:49 pm

BrightLine wrote:I am finished with the LSAT, so my "friend" is not me :)

I know what I did and I know that it worked for me, but I am not sure that it is replicable for others. I am looking for advice to give him on how to create a structured preparation plan.

5) Generally, what is the best way to build skills while learning timing of sections and taking entire PT's

Well, okay, if your "friend" is too lazy for Pithypike, here are some other suggestions:

1-3) More or less any book of technique will teach useful things here. The PS Bibles get their reputation because they use real LSAT questions, but you could use any other one as well as long as you supplement with plenty of real PTs. I used Cracking the LSAT (which covers all three and is cheap) and a whole bunch of PTs and did pretty well.

The answer is not different for each type. It's the same. Learn the basic strategies, practice on a whole bunch of real PTs, review your mistakes and questions you were unsure about, review the strategies again, and repeat. Start by focusing on accuracy, and one you're getting games questions right every time and something like 80-90% of LR and RC right every time, start building up your speed (gradually).

4) Take so many PTs that the real thing just feels like another PT. Go to the test center and take some PTs there if you like. (Usually it's a university classroom, so you can just walk in if class isn't in session.)

5) What I said in 1-3.

BrightLine

Postby BrightLine » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:33 pm

tomwatts wrote:
BrightLine wrote:I am finished with the LSAT, so my "friend" is not me :)

Well, okay, if your "friend" is too lazy for Pithypike, here are some other suggestions:

1-3) More or less any book of technique will teach useful things here. The PS Bibles get their reputation because they use real LSAT questions, but you could use any other one as well as long as you supplement with plenty of real PTs. I used Cracking the LSAT (which covers all three and is cheap) and a whole bunch of PTs and did pretty well.

The answer is not different for each type. It's the same. Learn the basic strategies, practice on a whole bunch of real PTs, review your mistakes and questions you were unsure about, review the strategies again, and repeat. Start by focusing on accuracy, and one you're getting games questions right every time and something like 80-90% of LR and RC right every time, start building up your speed (gradually).

4) Take so many PTs that the real thing just feels like another PT. Go to the test center and take some PTs there if you like. (Usually it's a university classroom, so you can just walk in if class isn't in session.)

5) What I said in 1-3.

Thanks for the advice.

But seriously, it is for my friend. I got a 175 on DEC 2010 test, but thats the thing. I had a much different starting point than him so I wasn't really sure how to go about skill building.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”