Sophomore Diagnostic

LilGuy

Sophomore Diagnostic

Postby LilGuy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:42 pm

How should I view a 151 diagnostic as a second semester sophomore? I took it under timed condtions with my roommate occasionally talking to me while I was doing it. I missed like 18 on the logic games and very few on critical reading.

I have a 4.0 at a flagship in history. I'm only taking 14 credits (3 history classes and one Arabic class) this semester, so I figured I had time to look at the LSAT. I can't forsee my classes becoming much more rigorous in the coming years, if that's worth anything. I obviously want to get a 170+.

Should I just chill the "f" out and stop thinking about the LSAT? In the board's experience, did your innate intelligence increase by the time you were juniors/seniors? Am I confusing an increase in innate intelligence and an increase in test taking ability?

Thank you for any advice.

akili

Re: Sophomore Diagnostic

Postby akili » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:46 pm

Chill the "f" out, keep that GPA high, and study hard when you get closer.

edit to add: the LSAT does not measure "innate intelligence." It's a learnable test and a 151 is not a horrible place to start. If your weakest section is Logic Games that's actually really great because the most gains (usually) can be made in that section.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:49 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

overunderachiever

Postby overunderachiever » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:50 pm

Chill out...Also, I think that LG is the hardest for people who are not familiar with the test and the general consensus is that its the easiest area to improve

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:02 pm

Chill out- don't rush this process.

I started studying for the LSAT too early- 2nd semester sophomore year. I ended up taking the Oct. LSAT (summer/fall after sophomore year) as I realized I was going to graduate a year early. I diagnossed' (new word!) at 159 and clocked a 162 on the real thing. I was very disappointed and am going to retake.

It's not so much that your 'innate intelligence' is going to increase as it is that more time in undergrad will increase your 'skills'.

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:03 pm

chill out

firemed

Postby firemed » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:29 pm

Relax, and study using the LG Bible next year.

DarkPhantom

Postby DarkPhantom » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:35 am

lol, OP is asking if "innate" intelligence increased. /thread

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:51 am

yeah man, most peoples' diagnostics are around 152-160 but everybody improves drastically with only a few months practice. Chill out and just start studying in about a year. Plan on taking the June LSAT of your junior year after reading the LG bible

androstan

Postby androstan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:22 pm

I "diagnosed" at 160 and hit 169 on the real thing. I don't consider myself to have been a particularly rigorous or dedicated prepper either. I mean, I prepped 2-3 months while working almost 80 hours a week and still spending time with my wife.

A ten point or so increase is expected if you take some PTs, work through the LG bible hard, and take some more PTs. 15 and even 20 points increases are possible if you're truly dedicated.

If you can keep your GPA up near 4.0 and buckle down on the LSAT you could easily be looking at being a 3.9ish/165 reverse splitter in a top 10. It's even possible you could be a 3.9ish/17x looking at HYSCCN.

When you finish your junior year get the bibles, make a prep plan, and study hard (full time and a half) for a couple months. Take the June LSAT. If it's not where you want it, buckle down for a couple more months and boost it for the October LSAT. You'll be fine.

PhiloLogicGames

Postby PhiloLogicGames » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:37 pm

LilGuy wrote:How should I view a 151 diagnostic as a second semester sophomore?

You really shouldn't view it at all. Unless you're the kind of guy that can tell how awesome he will be on the first go-round, a diagnostic is really nothing more than your very first time playing handball, chess, or golf.

Skydiving, on the other hand...that's something you need to get right immediately.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:01 pm

androstan wrote:I "diagnosed" at 160 and hit 169 on the real thing. I don't consider myself to have been a particularly rigorous or dedicated prepper either. I mean, I prepped 2-3 months while working almost 80 hours a week and still spending time with my wife.

A ten point or so increase is expected if you take some PTs, work through the LG bible hard, and take some more PTs. 15 and even 20 points increases are possible if you're truly dedicated.If you can keep your GPA up near 4.0 and buckle down on the LSAT you could easily be looking at being a 3.9ish/165 reverse splitter in a top 10. It's even possible you could be a 3.9ish/17x looking at HYSCCN.

When you finish your junior year get the bibles, make a prep plan, and study hard (full time and a half) for a couple months. Take the June LSAT. If it's not where you want it, buckle down for a couple more months and boost it for the October LSAT. You'll be fine.

That seems a bit overstated. I would love to see comprehensive stats on how much people improve. I started at 159 and got a 162 after about 35 PTs and 3 bibles. Maybe my experience is just an unfortunate outlier? But it seems to me that most poeple don't improve a whole lot, at least from the people I've talked to.

EDIT: By 'a whole lot' I mean a significant incrase, something above 5-10.

LilGuy

Postby LilGuy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:11 pm

Thank you everyone for the responses. I will chill out and step away from the LSAT until next year. I was hella unfamiliar with the material, so I panicked a bit. Also I did my games in my head instead of on a piece of paper, total rookie move.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:23 pm

LilGuy wrote:Thank you everyone for the responses. I will chill out and step away from the LSAT until next year. I was hella unfamiliar with the material, so I panicked a bit. Also I did my games in my head instead of on a piece of paper, total rookie move.

You should be encouraged. Also, go read complicated, dense material like Hegel, Doestoevsky etc. Whatever you find interesting. Dealing with difficult texts will pay off in a big way.

PhiloLogicGames

Postby PhiloLogicGames » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:27 pm

minnbills wrote:
LilGuy wrote: Also, go read complicated, dense material like Hegel, Doestoevsky etc. Whatever you find interesting.

Don't stop with the things you find interesting. I'd suggest you actually read complicated, dense material you don't find interesting. That's the stuff that's far more likely to appear on test day.

--LinkRemoved--

androstan

Postby androstan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:29 pm

minnbills wrote:
androstan wrote:I "diagnosed" at 160 and hit 169 on the real thing. I don't consider myself to have been a particularly rigorous or dedicated prepper either. I mean, I prepped 2-3 months while working almost 80 hours a week and still spending time with my wife.

A ten point or so increase is expected if you take some PTs, work through the LG bible hard, and take some more PTs. 15 and even 20 points increases are possible if you're truly dedicated.If you can keep your GPA up near 4.0 and buckle down on the LSAT you could easily be looking at being a 3.9ish/165 reverse splitter in a top 10. It's even possible you could be a 3.9ish/17x looking at HYSCCN.

That seems a bit overstated. I would love to see comprehensive stats on how much people improve. I started at 159 and got a 162 after about 35 PTs and 3 bibles. Maybe my experience is just an unfortunate outlier? But it seems to me that most poeple don't improve a whole lot, at least from the people I've talked to.

EDIT: By 'a whole lot' I mean a significant incrase, something above 5-10.

I don't know the stats. All I can give is my personal experience and my general impression from hearing the personal experiences of others. From what I've heard, a 10 point increase is not uncommon if one approaches it like an exam for class, i.e. seriously. I took it seriously but by no means as seriously as many TLSers and I saw +9 (and my 169 would have been 170 if ANY of my guesses had come out correct! Gah!).

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:25 pm

PhiloLogicGames wrote:
minnbills wrote:
LilGuy wrote: Also, go read complicated, dense material like Hegel, Doestoevsky etc. Whatever you find interesting.

Don't stop with the things you find interesting. I'd suggest you actually read complicated, dense material you don't find interesting. That's the stuff that's far more likely to appear on test day.

--LinkRemoved--

Exactly- there should be a progression.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”