pt 41, game #1 - "lower number".

leap_your_bar

pt 41, game #1 - "lower number".

Postby leap_your_bar » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:35 pm

Hey guys,
Quick question. In the first game (dresses on hangers), I think the rule states G is assigned to a lower number hanger than is P; judging by the answer selections, this is diagrammed G > P... Wouldn't a "lower" number mean P > G though? This is really silly & I can't believe its tripping me up but if anyone could clarify...thanks.

hijodehombre

Re: pt 41, game #1 - "lower number".

Postby hijodehombre » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:37 pm

I don't have the game handy but 1 is a lower number than 2, 2 a lower number than 3, and so on.

hijodehombre

Postby hijodehombre » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:40 pm

I have the game now, instead of using less than or greater than signs, just use a straight line.

G - P

This tells you that G will always be on a lower numbered hanger (as explained previously) than P.

pattymac

Postby pattymac » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:12 pm

Thanks. Got it. This tripped me up bigtime because theres no inherent ranking. If its a closet full of dresses, 1 isn't greater than 6, its just earlier. I've only encountered games where 1 - 6 is a ranking. So if you were ranking them (from 1 to 6 say), it would be diagrammed the reverse, correct? Just pisses me off cuz this rule cost me 3-4 minutes and I still got 6/7 on the game.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:59 pm

pattymac wrote:Thanks. Got it. This tripped me up bigtime because theres no inherent ranking. If its a closet full of dresses, 1 isn't greater than 6, its just earlier. I've only encountered games where 1 - 6 is a ranking. So if you were ranking them (from 1 to 6 say), it would be diagrammed the reverse, correct? Just pisses me off cuz this rule cost me 3-4 minutes and I still got 6/7 on the game.

Lower number vs. lower rank/higher number vs. higher rank relationships are easily and frequently confused, causing unnecessary painful point loss.

A simple rule of thumb I like that students seem to grasp and use easily to make sure not to mix them up is the bank account question. Whenever in doubt you quickly ask yourself the question:

When you check your bank account balance, would you like to see a higher number or a lower number?

Higher number = bigger number = I can buy more cool $hit. $1, so small, F'k, I'm low on $$, that aint gonna get me far, but a higher number like $2000 to spend for the night is more likely to get me into the highest ranked/best clubs in town, maybe even into club #1 so I can meet some famous supermodels and actors.

leap_your_bar

Postby leap_your_bar » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:39 pm

hahaha I like this. I just started the games in the 40's...I don't think I've encountered a question worded like this. Like I said, I got it all right but it pissed me off b/c I ended up missing 10 questions on games total cuz of time lost and keeping me out of the low/mid 160's as a result. The rest of the games were jokes to understand, the questions were lengthy.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”