Highlighting in LR

tmc07d

Highlighting in LR

Postby tmc07d » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:23 pm

Considering highlighting can be a useful tool on the LSAT I was wondering how useful is it to highlight during the LR portion of the test and if so, what parts of the stimulus should you look for to highlight or maybe even answer choices. Thanks.

hijodehombre

Re: Highlighting in LR

Postby hijodehombre » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:32 pm

I've never tried it, but I imagine that I would highlight the same phrases that I would sometimes underline. For example, transition words or words that introduce the conclusion. After a while, though, I don't think underlining did much to give me an advantage so I tend not to even do it anymore. I can only imagine how much time I would waste switching between a highlighter and a pencil.

joebloe

Re: Highlighting in LR

Postby joebloe » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:55 pm

I decided to give this a shot when I was having trouble picking out stuff I'd underlined/circled in the passage in pencil at a glance. I didn't get enough time to do PTs with this technique, so I don't know how well it works. I did OK in RC this Dec.- not amazing but I didn't blow it either.

Hijodehombre is quite correct about wasting time switching, though I'm not sure if it's enough to necessarily be a problem. I think if you're taking margin notes AND highlighting, you might have to develop a strategy for when to switch.

One possibility I just thought of is taping a pencil and highlighter together, so you would just have to flip the assembly over to highlight. Downside is you might mark up your hand on accident, and it might not be comfortable to grip. Hmm.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”