Retake after having taken it 4 times already

lsatextreme

Retake after having taken it 4 times already

Postby lsatextreme » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:45 pm

So...here is the low down. I've taken the lsat 4 times (dec 09: 154, june 10: 158, oct 10: 161, dec 10: 162). I have a very bad gpa (sub 3.0) so Ive always known that I had to do well on the lsat but it just didn't pan out for me after i literally dedicated one year of my life to this god forsaken test. Sure, I saw improvement esp early on but I obviously needed a rather drastic increase and I didn't see it to the end. I've been practicing at anywhere from low 160s to my personal best of 171, but on average it's always been around the 162-166 range. So I basically scored my lowest range PT score this past dec.

That being said, I've just finished applying to tons of schools, and I'm definitely expecting a lot of waitlists (along with rejections obv). I'm contemplating retaking the upcoming June test to get off said waitlists. I'm definitely WILLING to do it, which is crazy in itself given how insane this test drove me during the entirety of 2010, but SHOULD I be doing it given how I've already taken it 4 times and the pattern seems to suggest that I'm approaching or have approached my limit. I have to add here that this test has been one of the most humbling experiences of my life and it's always been a huge source of frustration to me, as you can imagine, and I've studied for the test thinking that experience fosters skill, but that was hardly the case for me on the LSAT. Honestly, that test is still just about as unpredictable and nerve wrecking to me as the first time I took it in dec 09.

The schools I want to get into are mostly CA schools (in state), but I'm willing to relocate to any major metropolitan city where I'd see myself living and practicing law, so I scattered apps in NY, Chicago, Boston, DC, etc. Since I know I'm definitely not getting into schools in the T30, let alone the T50 or maybe even the T100, I wanted to strike lucky and go to a school as close to the T50 as possible. I know enough that I most likely won't be going to a school outside of the T100 even if that's how it turns out, though that's not even saying much with the current job forecast.

Extra info: Asian american (non URM), went to the top public undergrad, worked 2 years as paralegal for in house firm of a construction company and got LOR from atty. 2 more LORs from TA/Professors from undergrad and gpa addendums that I don't think will jump out of the page as I haven't done anything extraordinary or have particularly gifted writing abilities.

Thank you in advance!

Jeffort

Re: Retake after having taken it 4 times already

Postby Jeffort » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:06 pm

With 4 reported scores and recently submitted applications you should be moving into the stalk the postal carrier for decision letters phase rather than thinking about taking the LSAT again.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:08 pm

There is a strong upward trend there!

But seriously, at this point if you can't do better, I don't think a 5th one is going to hurt much.

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:23 pm

You can retake a 5th time in 2 years? Or is it 2 calendar years?

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:55 pm

Jeffort wrote:With 4 reported scores and recently submitted applications you should be moving into the stalk the postal carrier for decision letters phase rather than thinking about taking the LSAT again.

trust me, i've been lurking the admission and decision forums and checking status checkers for the past week, even though I know I'm not going to get any replies from schools yet. After I had finished everything, I just wondered what else I could do to give myself an edge, and it's what I came up with.

r6_philly wrote:There is a strong upward trend there!

But seriously, at this point if you can't do better, I don't think a 5th one is going to hurt much.

that's what i thought as well. I figure that a 5th attempt couldn't really hurt me unless I got significantly lower than 162 or something. I'm thinking that the June LSAT can literally only help me or just leave me the fuck alone.

joebloe wrote:You can retake a 5th time in 2 years? Or is it 2 calendar years?

only 3 times in 2 years, but i had a school send a letter for my 4th attempt. I'll try to do that on my 5th attempt as well.

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:07 pm

I had no idea you could do the sponsor thing more than once. I was under the impression that was a one-time deal.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:12 pm

Give it up when it comes to LSAT. Someone will let you into law school but my quess is that you will be a full pay at a TTT or 4th tier school.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:13 pm

I would just hope for the best this cycle and not retake.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:22 pm

1) Have T-shirt made that reads: "I took the LSAT 4 times and all I got was admission to this lousy TTT."
2) Wear shirt 1X per month in LS.
3) Profit

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:26 pm

joebloe wrote:I had no idea you could do the sponsor thing more than once. I was under the impression that was a one-time deal.

I have no idea actually, I guess that would make my decision a lot easier if I couldn't even do it

Emma1 wrote:Give it up when it comes to LSAT. Someone will let you into law school but my quess is that you will be a full pay at a TTT or 4th tier school.

I'll be done with law school at that point

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:I would just hope for the best this cycle and not retake.

I'm not making any decisions until I've received a good number of WLs to work with. So definitely gonna be mulling over it at least until March.

The only other thing is, I don't know when they make decisions off the WL, but if they're all before June then it defeats the point of me taking it again so I'm not sure how that works either.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:52 pm

You can ride a wait list until classes begin or until the school discharges the WL because they have their class. It is very hard to predict. I really don't think a 5th score would help you especially combined with a low GPA. If you really want law school you may have to go to a third tier school. If you know where you want to live pick a lower tier school there. Other thing is to work somewhere for several years ( 4 or 5) and start the LSAT process over.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:55 pm

Only retake it a 5th time if you can improve. To be honest, schools that take the highest thanks to the ABA rule will only truly care about the highest score. Some dude took the LSAT 7 times and got into a T14.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:55 pm

Have you been studying by yourself? Prep company? Tutor? Maybe you are missing some key methods to attack the LSAT that could make things easier on yourself.

IsleMet

Postby IsleMet » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:01 pm

Bottom Line: Law schools only have to enter one LSAT score in for you for USNR rankings. So, if you can do better, take it again. This is coming from someone that is considering taking it again for a 5th time as well (sad, yes I know). My history...164, Cancel, 166, Cancel...shooting for a 170 for scholarship/waitlist chances. Nothing to lose.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:23 pm

IF you are going to take the test in june, are you okay wiht re applying next semester? If you are, then make sure you get your school list narrowd down, get all of your essays finished and ready to go over the summer, and submit your applications the day they are opened. You would give yourself the best chance at getting into a decent school. If you do well, enough......maybe $, but that is a huge maybe ( im an optimist). You know where your weakensses are, and instead of waiting on pins and needles for this cycle, start attacking yoru weak areas now, so that you will be as ready as ever.

This is assuming you get a school to petition for your to take it again, and you dont like how your cycle goes. Just make sure that this is the last LSAT test you ever take ( no matter how it shakes out)

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:17 am

I think you have to consider several things.

1) The schools you get into this cycle, which you should have an idea of in a few months.
2) The probability of getting a higher score in June.
3) The probability that said score will get you into a more preferable school.
4) The probability that attending said school will make your employment prospects better.
5) The probability that said improved prospects are worth waiting another year to go to law school.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:11 am

Study until you score in the 170s consistently. When you do, sign up for the test.

Fin.

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:18 am

I was rejected from UCLA the day before classes began. I applied at the very end of January and at the time, had a 168/3.6. I hadn't even thought about taking the June 2010 LSAT but I bet an improved score on that test would have got me accepted.
[img]UCLA%20Law[/img]
August 17, 2010

Mr X
1234 X street
X, State 12345

Dear Mr X:

After careful consideration of all aspects of your file, the Admissions Committee regrets to inform you that we will be unable to admit you from our waiting list. We thank you for your patience during this waiting period and apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused.

The Law School is reluctant to reach a decision that precludes an applicant from undertaking the study of law at UCLA. In reviewing applications, the Admissions Committee exercises its best judgment in light of the relative qualifications of those requesting admission and the limits on the size of the student body. As has been the case for many years, the number of qualified applicants far exceeds the number of persons who could be accepted. This makes the admissions process extremely competitive and means that we have to turn away thousands of highly desirable and competent applicants.

We do want to let you know that we admit transfer students into our second year class each year who will receive their J.D. degree from UCLA School of Law. Transfer applicants have achieved academic distinction at another ABA-approved law school during their first year at that school. If you are interested in applying as a transfer student after your first year of law school, applications will be available online May 1 and are due July 5, 2011.

Best wishes in your future endeavors and thank you for your interest in UCLA School of Law.

Sincerely,

Robert L. Schwartz
Assistant Dean
Dean for Admissions and Financial Aid

I think that you should take the LSAT a 5th time for sure. You only studied that test for a year. that's weaksauce. keep up the studying, register for June 2011, and if you know for sure by test day that you will score a 170, retake FTW.

I'd like to know what school hooked you up with the 4th retake permission. I emailed NYU about that and they sent me an auto-reject.

Dear X,

Thank you for your e-mail. We are unable to grant a LSAT retake approval because they are only distributed under extraordinary circumstances.

Sincerely,

Office of Admissions

NYU School of Law

nnnnnn-threadin'

Postby nnnnnn-threadin' » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:42 am

did u consider that u might not be so smart and that u will get baddy grades in ls? maybe that this is what a bunch of shitty scores means? k bye.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:41 am

nnnnnn-threadin' wrote:did u consider that u might not be so smart and that u will get baddy grades in ls? maybe that this is what a bunch of shitty scores means? k bye.

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”