Unique Retake Situation

admisionquestion

Unique Retake Situation

Postby admisionquestion » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:03 am

I practiced like crazy and got a 170 last October. I want CCN. I have a 3.85. Non-URM but exceptionally good softs for straight out of UG. I was PTing between 168 and 172.

here is the question: Should I prep like crazy again and retake? The downside is that it is a huge effort and its not very likely my score will increase. The upside is its top 6 or bust for me. So weigh my odds and help me decide!

Bildungsroman

Re: Unique Retake Situation

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:16 am

This isn't a unique situation. If you already prepped like crazy and didn't underperform your PT average on test day, what makes you think you can get a better score? And what is with the "T6 or bust" mentality? You'd really be okay with CCN, but not P or V or M or D or NU?

glacierfrost

Postby glacierfrost » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:56 am

If your softs are really that good, then I think you would stand a good chance at one of CCN.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:00 am

glacierfrost wrote:If your softs are really that good, then I think you would stand a good chance at one of CCN.

Should've ED NYU or Chicago.

ETA: There are only so many class presidents at Ivies, so don't count on your softs being "exceptionally" good.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:25 am

It's kind of ironic how consistently people who label their situation unique have such garden-variety problems.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:31 am

suspicious android wrote:It's kind of ironic how consistently people who label their situation unique have such garden-variety problems.

Kurst

Postby Kurst » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:08 am

suspicious android wrote:It's kind of ironic how consistently people who label their situation unique have such garden-variety problems.

Every question regarding the LSAT has been asked before in some shape or form. Special flower syndrome is endemic here, as is laziness. Somehow people find the goldmine that is TLS, but cannot be bothered to find the gold.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:45 am

Since you scored in the middle of your PT range I'm inclined to say no to a retake. If you've already prepped like crazy, more prep is likely to yield minimal results. What's more, there is always the chance that you will score lower on your second test. So in your case I don't see the risk/costs - time spent prepping and chance of scoring lower - outweighing the upside - likely best case scenario scoring 171. If you had a chance to score like 175+ that would be a different story.

Can't believe I posted to not retake.

sojasoph

Postby sojasoph » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:01 am

i went 170,179
I think it was worth it

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:04 am

Kurst wrote: Somehow people find the goldmine that is TLS, but cannot be bothered to find the gold.

god what a fantastic quote.

LilMonsterAnnie

Postby LilMonsterAnnie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:24 am

Kurst wrote:

Every question regarding the LSAT has been asked before in some shape or form. Special flower syndrome is endemic here, as is laziness. Somehow people find the goldmine that is TLS, but cannot be bothered to find the gold.

Keepin' it real Kurst
:D

IgosduIkana

Postby IgosduIkana » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:28 am

LilMonsterAnnie wrote:
Kurst wrote:

Keepin' it real Kurst
:D

=) I agree.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:43 am

Bildungsroman wrote:And what is with the "T6 or bust" mentality? You'd really be okay with CCN, but not P or V or M or D or NU?

This. T6 matters in B-school. T14 matters in law school. Nobody is gonna refuse to hire you because you went to Berkeley instead of NYU.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”