Copying PT's

TunnelVision

Copying PT's

Postby TunnelVision » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:42 am

I am starting to prep (going through the bibles now), and I would like to start getting a better feel for the exam questions. I have most of the PT's. Is the best approach to rip the exams out of the booklet and then just make copies to use the exams again further down the road?

Sandro

Re: Copying PT's

Postby Sandro » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:07 pm

TunnelVision wrote:I am starting to prep (going through the bibles now), and I would like to start getting a better feel for the exam questions. I have most of the PT's. Is the best approach to rip the exams out of the booklet and then just make copies to use the exams again further down the road?

I wouldn't, but thats just me. Use an eraser.

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:02 pm

I'd avoid erasing if I could help it. Especially for LG sections, the paper wears out fast after just a little erasing.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:28 pm

joebloe wrote:I'd avoid erasing if I could help it. Especially for LG sections, the paper wears out fast after just a little erasing.

I reused many PTs and never ran into a problem with the paper. I used a small round black rubber eraser. Photocopying games/individual questions is cool but I wouldn't want to be taking PTs on sheets of loose paper...

TunnelVision

Postby TunnelVision » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:20 pm

So did you guys just take the PT's directly in the book itself without removing any of the pages?

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:37 pm

I photocopied the LGs. I reviewed other sections, didn't re-take them though.

neeko

Postby neeko » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:57 pm

I went to Kinkos with the all the 10 actual books and they took the binding off and I just copied them and stapled the individual tests. For the ones that weren't in the books i copied them and stapled them. It's annoying that way but I had to erase the LGB when I wanted to work through it again and I vowed never to do that again.

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:25 pm

neeko wrote:I went to Kinkos with the all the 10 actual books and they took the binding off and I just copied them and stapled the individual tests. For the ones that weren't in the books i copied them and stapled them. It's annoying that way but I had to erase the LGB when I wanted to work through it again and I vowed never to do that again.

What does that service cost?

neeko

Postby neeko » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:30 pm

joebloe wrote:
neeko wrote:I went to Kinkos with the all the 10 actual books and they took the binding off and I just copied them and stapled the individual tests. For the ones that weren't in the books i copied them and stapled them. It's annoying that way but I had to erase the LGB when I wanted to work through it again and I vowed never to do that again.

I did some stuff for work at the same time, but if I remember correctly it was $3 a book to take the binding off.

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:32 pm

neeko wrote:
joebloe wrote:

I did some stuff for work at the same time, but if I remember correctly it was $3 a book to take the binding off.

Hm. I'll have to consider that. Once my books get here anyway...

foggynotion

Postby foggynotion » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:23 am

A friend of mine had a great idea: she bought a sticky pad that measured about 4x6 (a large-sized post it pad) and stuck a sheet from that on the bottom part of the page and worked out the questions there, then when she wanted to redo the game she just ripped it off and stuck on a new sheet on. That way, she only had to erase the marks she made on the answer choices. I thought it was a pretty neat idea.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:28 am

If you have the PTs photocopied both sides on an A3 paper, fold it in middle and staple it (there are photocopiers that can do the sorting needed to do this automatically) you ll have excellent copy booklets.

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:32 am

The US equivalent would be ledger or tabloid size, I think. I wonder what the cost for such a booklet would be. I wish I had gotten the PT PDFs from Kaplan when I had the chance; that would make something like this so much easier.

Honestly though, the times I did unbound PTs, I didn't really notice any difference. I don't think it made the test any easier, and I don't think having it bound on the real deal was anything unexpected or anything special I had to "deal with". But if perfecting the simulation makes you calmer, then I think it's probably worth it to do at least a few bound tests.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:06 am

foggynotion wrote:A friend of mine had a great idea: she bought a sticky pad that measured about 4x6 (a large-sized post it pad) and stuck a sheet from that on the bottom part of the page and worked out the questions there, then when she wanted to redo the game she just ripped it off and stuck on a new sheet on. That way, she only had to erase the marks she made on the answer choices. I thought it was a pretty neat idea.

That is a pretty nifty idea! I like it and give it a 178.

It serves many practical purposes like getting used to writing small in limited space (pretty darn important for test day), not having to waste tons of time and $$ burning out your printer printing pdfs or scanning and printing copies from clean hard copies and having to collate the copies (and having to pay a ransom to get ink refill cartridges), as well as saving you from spending several days in a Kinkos and dealing with paper sizes, binding and whatnot.

Tree huggers and forests will love you, LSAC and law schools will secretly be happy and like you for not pirating materials and going on an intellectual property crime spree in order to become a lawyer, etc. and you can just get right down to the business of studying and practicing in moments without a bunch of time and resource wasting busy work.

I'd give the idea a 180, but making marks on the AC's that you have to erase later (which you cannot completely erase, however hard you try, you'll still be able to see some mark-up residue when you re-work the materials) makes it just slightly imperfect. To take it to the 179 or possibly 180 level, I say also get a pad of small narrow sticky notes that you can put over the (A)-(E) answer choice letters without covering the answer choices themselves and make your yes/no maybe marks on those.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:52 pm

Epic.

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:57 pm

Jeffort wrote:
foggynotion wrote:A friend of mine had a great idea: she bought a sticky pad that measured about 4x6 (a large-sized post it pad) and stuck a sheet from that on the bottom part of the page and worked out the questions there, then when she wanted to redo the game she just ripped it off and stuck on a new sheet on. That way, she only had to erase the marks she made on the answer choices. I thought it was a pretty neat idea.

It serves many practical purposes like getting used to writing small in limited space (pretty darn important for test day), not having to waste tons of time and $$ burning out your printer printing pdfs or scanning and printing copies from clean hard copies and having to collate the copies (and having to pay a ransom to get ink refill cartridges), as well as saving you from spending several days in a Kinkos and dealing with paper sizes, binding and whatnot.

Tree huggers and forests will love you, LSAC and law schools will secretly be happy and like you for not pirating materials and going on an intellectual property crime spree in order to become a lawyer, etc. and you can just get right down to the business of studying and practicing in moments without a bunch of time and resource wasting busy work.

I'd give the idea a 180, but making marks on the AC's that you have to erase later (which you cannot completely erase, however hard you try, you'll still be able to see some mark-up residue when you re-work the materials) makes it just slightly imperfect. To take it to the 179 or possibly 180 level, I say also get a pad of small narrow sticky notes that you can put over the (A)-(E) answer choice letters without covering the answer choices themselves and make your yes/no maybe marks on those.

I'm not sure you were referring to the earlier discussion about copying testing materials with bolded, but photocopying testing materials for your personal use may represent legitimate fair use of those materials, and thus would not constitute piracy. Just wanted to clarify- I recognize most of your comment was facetious.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:04 pm

joebloe wrote:
Jeffort wrote:

I'm not sure you were referring to the earlier discussion about copying testing materials with bolded, but photocopying testing materials for your personal use may represent legitimate fair use of those materials, and thus would not constitute piracy. Just wanted to clarify- I recognize most of your comment was facetious.

I actually wasn't being facetious. I think the using sticky notes idea is really good for the described practical purposes. I threw in the use small narrow sticky notes to cover the answer choice letters idea because that is what I do sometimes when a tutoring student doesn't have a clean copy of the questions I want to challenge them with at the moment and has to work them from my copy.

I threw in the IP crime spree comment partly as a joke and partly because lots of people don't buy licensed copies of the prep tests, but instead just download them from torrents and print out copies, which is not legally kosher. I'm pretty sure you are correct. If somebody has licensed copies of the PT's they purchased, making photocopies of them for personal study/practice use most likely qualifies as legit fair use under copyright law.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:33 am

buy from cambridgelsat, print to .pdf, save .pdfs, print as many as you want, revel in the thrill of beating the system.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”