Negating in Logical Reasoning

tmc07d

Negating in Logical Reasoning

Postby tmc07d » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:13 am

Is it actually possible to simply negate a certain portion of the stimulus and pretty much find that negated statement within the correct answer in some shape or form? Or is this to simple to be possible.

AreJay711

Re: Negating in Logical Reasoning

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:17 am

tmc07d wrote:Is it actually possible to simply negate a certain portion of the stimulus and pretty much find that negated statement within the correct answer in some shape or form? Or is this to simple to be possible.

You can negate statements. Look up logical negations or get an introductory logic textbook. Idk if it helps as much as you think but I guess it could come in handy.

tmc07d

Postby tmc07d » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:30 am

I understand how to negate a statement and contrapositives and all that but im noticing that alot of statements in the answer choices match something in the stimulus except that they are negated alot of times. So im wondering if its possible to simply know what they are asking for, find that particular piece in the stimulus, negate it, and poof find the correct answer.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:40 am

tmc07d wrote:I understand how to negate a statement and contrapositives and all that but im noticing that alot of statements in the answer choices match something in the stimulus except that they are negated alot of times. So im wondering if its possible to simply know what they are asking for, find that particular piece in the stimulus, negate it, and poof find the correct answer.

Maybe. It might be easier to do it intuitively though. There are also transformations and stuff like [~(A or B) = ~A and ~B ] or [~(A --> B) = ~(B or ~A) = ~B and A ; I think :? ]. Anyway, I thought a intro to logic course I took my freshman year of college and a refresher textbook really helped me and I could break out the formal logic for tough questions. I typically wouldn't miss any LR questions and only missed one total between both sections on the Oct test.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:11 am

tmc07d wrote:I understand how to negate a statement and contrapositives and all that but im noticing that alot of statements in the answer choices match something in the stimulus except that they are negated alot of times. So im wondering if its possible to simply know what they are asking for, find that particular piece in the stimulus, negate it, and poof find the correct answer.

This sounds like a very bad idea, especially since you haven't even specified which question types you want to try and apply this strange strategy to.

Logical negation is useful for necessary assumption questions, but you negate the answer choices, not something in the stimulus.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”