Retaking a 171

7ED
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:26 pm

Retaking a 171

Postby 7ED » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:56 pm

.
Last edited by 7ED on Sun May 04, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lasker
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:17 pm

Re: Retaking a 171

Postby Lasker » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:17 pm

It seems like more information would be useful here.

What do you think was the problem on the real test? How did you feel coming out? If you felt that test anxiety was what affected your performance, do you think it was mostly due to something external (like conditions at the test center) which might be better the second time, or something internal which might not?

sethc
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Retaking a 171

Postby sethc » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:17 pm

No clue of the answer to what you're asking, but, 'grats anyways man. I would have killed for a 171 so I wouldn't be at a shitty low-tier school right now :/ - I admire your determination, but a 171 is no joke AT ALL, imho. Best of luck to you.

User avatar
starrydreamz3
Posts: 677
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 11:42 am

Re: Retaking a 171

Postby starrydreamz3 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:28 pm

If you have to ask, it seems like the only thing you're missing is a little bit of luck. I'm sure you've went over the test. If it was nerves, then a second take with a solid score in your pocket should be less stressful.

Do exactly what you did, and hope that you get a little bit of luck come Feb/June.

7ED
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:26 pm

Re: Retaking a 171

Postby 7ED » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:29 pm

.
Last edited by 7ED on Sun May 04, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sethc
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Retaking a 171

Postby sethc » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:30 pm

Ah, ok NOW I can give you some substantive feedback hehe. I know I said my school sucks and stuff, but take it for what it's worth - I busted my ASS to get a good LSAT score.

You probably don't want to get me started on the LSAT in general lol, but I digress. It's a very arbitrary test in my opinion and, while I see the overall "point" of it, I'm not convinced there isn't a better way.

Anyway, I took it 3x within the time frame of like 1.5yr or something like that, if I'm remembering right. I had a headcold twice, so that didn't help. I was also very nervous my 1st time, but that was almost TOTALLY gone the next 2 times. My advice is to honestly take care of the "nuances" before test day - pencils/erasers/necessary documents etc. even what time you plan on leaving & accounting for parking time. That sounds like dumbshit obvious advice, and most of it is, but you don't want ANYTHING to cause unnecessary distraction come test day.

As far as the actual testing goes, I think time management was my biggest issue looking back. It wasn't comprehension of what I was reading at all. I just got to the question(s) and needed to go back over the passage. I did that WAY too many times and it caused me to get flustered & rush. Having said that, from studying my results all 3 times - I was able to figure out that I did great on everything (right at median or above) EXCEPT, of course, logic games. I did so awful on that section each time that it essentially cost me a good, solid LSAT score. I lucked out and only got a logic-games-experimental section once, though.. so that was good.

You obviously have a better understanding of how to do good on the LSAT than I ever did, but I hope this helps somehow!

User avatar
acadec
Posts: 289
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:35 am

Re: Retaking a 171

Postby acadec » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:52 pm

.
Last edited by acadec on Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lasker
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:17 pm

Re: Retaking a 171

Postby Lasker » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:05 pm

7ED wrote:Mmm lets see,

For some reason I ran out of time on the Logic Games, and that threw me off for the rest of the exam. I am going to bet on test day anxiety but I have no idea really what happened. Since it was the February examination, I also don't have access to my answer sheet. or the exam I took.


acadec wrote:I'm in basically the same situation (171 in Oct, never PTed below 176) and retaking in February. I'm just doing more tests, because I don't think that the problem was that I didn't know how to do the problems, but test day nerves. Your PT range suggests the same thing. You clearly have the skill to get the answers right, you just need to be as familiar with the test as possible, so that nothing throws you on the day. Good luck!


Geez, you guys are scaring me! I've been PTing in a similar range and I know if I messed up an LG section early in the test it would kill me psychologically. I'm trying to think of a way I could prepare for this, but I think all I can really do is hope that simply being aware of the possibility may help mitigate it a bit. That and more LG practice. Always more LG practice.

User avatar
MrSparkle
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:06 pm

Re: Retaking a 171

Postby MrSparkle » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:38 pm

I was in a similar boat in terms of anxiety. The week before the actual test I suddenly started scoring ten points less on my PTs. It was all nerves, and instead of trying to fight it, during my next few PTs I took the time to freak myself out first, and actually increase my anxiety. Then I concentrated on calming myself down. Practicing how to calm down made a big difference, and come test day I did fine.

sethc
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Retaking a 171

Postby sethc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:44 am

Scared? Not to come off like a smart ass, but dude you got a 171.. nothing to be scared about at all unless your life will be shattered & you'll commit suicide if you don't get into HYS (hey, it's realistic.)

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1909
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: Retaking a 171

Postby Stringer Bell » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:04 am

Honestly, I think decent advice could be to take some PT's handicapped. Maybe give yourself only 32 minutes to take a section. Or read some intellectualy stimulating material for a couple of hours before starting a PT. I think one of the reasons I was able to perform really well on the actual test relative to my pt average was that it was kind of a breeze compared to the pt's I was taking after 10 hour workdays.

casterfield
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:42 pm

Re: Retaking a 171

Postby casterfield » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:43 am

This is easier said than done, but try not get get thrown off by your performance on earlier sections. Just keep on trucking through the test like you normally would. Worrying about the mistakes you made on the logic games section won't be a nice thing to think about when you're supposed to be doing reading comp.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Retaking a 171

Postby Knock » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:55 am

Don't be afraid to cancel if necessary.

User avatar
invisiblesun
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Retaking a 171

Postby invisiblesun » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:57 am

I would say unless you're noticing that your errors are consistently on certain question types, just take full preptests and take each one with the seriousness and concentration of a real one. If you find that you're scoring above 176/177 just about every time, you should reduce the amount of time per section to force yourself to be even sharper. Come test day, those extra couple minutes you're not used to having will give you the cushion you need when nerves strike.

Curry

Re: Retaking a 171

Postby Curry » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:34 am

Knock wrote:Don't be afraid to cancel if necessary.


<3

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Retaking a 171

Postby Dany » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:38 am

Knock wrote:Don't be afraid to cancel if necessary.

From what I hear, it takes a real man to cancel.

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: Retaking a 171

Postby Kabuo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:48 am

I'm in a bit of a similar situation - retaking a 172 in Oct. Mine was test day nerves, and I missed 6 on LG (the very last section, and on the very last game). I got to the last game with 13 minutes, and it was one of the simplest games I have ever seen, but I misread a rule. I was also PTing 175-180 in my last 10 before the test, and I'm pretty sure I will not go below 172 on this retake, while giving myself a realistic shot at decent to substantial improvement.

All of that said, I disagree with a lot of the advice in this thread so far. If it was nerves, then I don't think you need to be handicapping yourself by doing 32 mins or something; if anything, I think that could throw off your timing which has been good so far. Don't mess with what isn't broken. Just keep taking tests, keep drilling sections, and make sure to go in relaxed, with a good score already under your belt for the real deal.

I know I'm going to be the zen master for this next test, because I'm already a decent shot numbers wise at a T14, and just want to score higher to get off the WLs that I know are coming. This last administration, I just freaked out because I saw that I had mis-diagrammed and the questions were unsolveable. Instead of redoing my diagram, which I had plenty of time to do, I froze and thought about how I was doomed to going to my regional T1 and being stuck in OH. I seriously doubt this will be a problem this next time, and if it is, oh well, I can cancel if I think it was a disaster, and worst case scenario is I still have a 172 and at least one T20 acceptance. I really think this test comes down to confidence once you can score high 170s/180 on PTs, and I think you should just try to stay fresh and practiced on the material, while fully expecting to kill it come test day.

User avatar
invisiblesun
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Retaking a 171

Postby invisiblesun » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:36 am

Kabuo wrote:I'm in a bit of a similar situation - retaking a 172 in Oct. Mine was test day nerves, and I missed 6 on LG (the very last section, and on the very last game). I got to the last game with 13 minutes, and it was one of the simplest games I have ever seen, but I misread a rule. I was also PTing 175-180 in my last 10 before the test, and I'm pretty sure I will not go below 172 on this retake, while giving myself a realistic shot at decent to substantial improvement.

All of that said, I disagree with a lot of the advice in this thread so far. If it was nerves, then I don't think you need to be handicapping yourself by doing 32 mins or something; if anything, I think that could throw off your timing which has been good so far. Don't mess with what isn't broken. Just keep taking tests, keep drilling sections, and make sure to go in relaxed, with a good score already under your belt for the real deal.

I know I'm going to be the zen master for this next test, because I'm already a decent shot numbers wise at a T14, and just want to score higher to get off the WLs that I know are coming. This last administration, I just freaked out because I saw that I had mis-diagrammed and the questions were unsolveable. Instead of redoing my diagram, which I had plenty of time to do, I froze and thought about how I was doomed to going to my regional T1 and being stuck in OH. I seriously doubt this will be a problem this next time, and if it is, oh well, I can cancel if I think it was a disaster, and worst case scenario is I still have a 172 and at least one T20 acceptance. I really think this test comes down to confidence once you can score high 170s/180 on PTs, and I think you should just try to stay fresh and practiced on the material, while fully expecting to kill it come test day.


Your anecdote supports my point. Freak outs can happen because of the sheer importance of test day, and I would say it's unwise just to doubt it wouldn't happen again. Nerves are unpredictable, which is why it's good to buy yourself a couple minutes of insurance if possible.

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: Retaking a 171

Postby Kabuo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:31 am

Maybe that does reinforce your point, but don't underestimate the relief that knowing you won't be stuck in OH can provide.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: #gobroncos, dj9i27, goldenbear2020, nimbus cloud, SunDevil14, VMars and 30 guests