LSAT- Reading Comprehension

acirilli1722

LSAT- Reading Comprehension

Postby acirilli1722 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:07 am

I am planning on going to law school upon graduation next year and have begun prepping for the June LSAT. I am trying to get my scores to be consistently in the mid 160's but my weakest section is the reading comprehension, by far. It seems that most learnable section is the games section which happens to be my strength. I was wondering if there was any suggestions on how to improve your reading comprehension skills since I hear it is the hardest to improve. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

LSAT Blog

Re: LSAT- Reading Comprehension

Postby LSAT Blog » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:11 am

People seem to have had good results with Voyager's guide: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7240

benito

Postby benito » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:46 am

I disagree with the position that the reading comp section is not learnable. I just think unlike the other two sections that can be approached through categorical and strategic frameworks, reading comp requires a brute force approach, just practicing one section after another after another. Obviously taking your time between sections to examine your responses to the questions you weren't sure about. Not only will your basic reading comprehension skills get better in the process but you will start to get in the testmaker's heads in terms of what questions they are going to ask, I've gotten to the point where I can generally tell what to expect form the questions as I read through the passage. The fact that for a lot of people reading comp does come intuitively, and the reality that there is no one size fits all strategy for it, accounts for the misconception. But I think it is very learnable.

acirilli1722

Postby acirilli1722 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:38 am

Thanks I will definitely keep both ideas in mind next time I practice and it is good to hear that it is learnable. I also read that reading editorials in the newspaper and trying to observe the authors main point and trying to analyze the argument is a good exercise. Has anybody actually tried this and got any results from it or is it just a waste of time and I should just stick to practice problems and tests?

slsplease

Postby slsplease » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:34 pm

benito wrote:I disagree with the position that the reading comp section is not learnable. I just think unlike the other two sections that can be approached through categorical and strategic frameworks, reading comp requires a brute force approach, just practicing one section after another after another. Obviously taking your time between sections to examine your responses to the questions you weren't sure about. Not only will your basic reading comprehension skills get better in the process but you will start to get in the testmaker's heads in terms of what questions they are going to ask, I've gotten to the point where I can generally tell what to expect form the questions as I read through the passage. The fact that for a lot of people reading comp does come intuitively, and the reality that there is no one size fits all strategy for it, accounts for the misconception. But I think it is very learnable.

Is this really the case? While doing drills on LR I've been getting at most -2 to -3 on a 30 question set, but for RC I miss 2-4 per passage... I'm hoping that by doing every single passage available or something like that, I can learn to catch the subtleties.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:51 pm

slsplease wrote:I'm hoping that by doing every single passage available or something like that, I can learn to catch the subtleties.

Just to be clear, you can't just barrel through the passages and suddenly, miraculously catch the subtleties (well, I'm sure some people can, but it's not the norm).

It's important to analyze the sections not just for the right and wrong answers, but to see the patterns in which features of the passages are asked about, and what are characteristics of correct answer choices.

For instance, if I see a traditional view in a passage, I know there's going to be a question about it. If I see a list of characteristics, chances are there's going to be a question.

As far as characteristics of correct answers, they're similar to LR questions. You can answer a lot of questions without even reading the passage (note - I don't recommend this on the actual test) because there's only one answer to an Author's Attitude question that's balanced, and I'd always like a weaker answer there unless I have a specific reason to look for something stronger (like the Author calling someone a name in the passage).

Make sure to analyze the questions on these metrics while reviewing.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”