Does the date of LSAT matter?

strawboy1230

Does the date of LSAT matter?

Postby strawboy1230 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:52 pm

Probably a stupid question, but i remember back in the day, there were specific SAT test dates that were supposed to be "easier" than others.

Does that kind of thing happen for the LSAT?

2011Law

Re: Does the date of LSAT matter?

Postby 2011Law » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:59 pm

Never took a Feb PT from Superprep, but the others were all equally difficult.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:05 pm

strawboy1230 wrote:Probably a stupid question, but i remember back in the day, there were specific SAT test dates that were supposed to be "easier" than others.

no.

amorfati

Postby amorfati » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:19 pm

If you're not much of a morning person, then you might find the June test easier (being as it's in the afternoon). Honestly, I really think I could have scored a couple points better had I taken it then - my brain functions much better later in the day!

Otherwise, there has been some discussion as to whether certain "types" (overachievers, underachievers) take the test at certain times of the year, which could in theory affect the curve. But then there has also been some discussion as to whether or not the curve is pre-determined... I don't remember the outcome of that discussion, to be honest...

In any case, I think the LSAT Blog has some interesting posts on trends by test date. I don't recall if there were any major findings, but there were some interesting reads nonetheless. check it out: lsatblog.blogspot.com

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:33 pm

strawboy1230 wrote:Probably a stupid question, but i remember back in the day, there were specific SAT test dates that were supposed to be "easier" than others.

No, the tests are all approximately equal in difficulty because of equating. The "curve" is in fact determined beforehand and LSAC can account for any discrepancy by simply throwing a question out.

However, different test dates generally have different "curves". June generally has the harshest curve, followed by October, followed by December (most lenient curve) from the disclosed tests.

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:14 pm

But since they're doing test equating, the fact that the June curve is generally harsher suggests that the test itself is somewhat easier, whereas the leniency of the December curve suggests the test itself is more difficult.

Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about. :D

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:15 pm

Just to make the point broader: This is a myth for every test. It was never true for the SAT, and it's not true for the LSAT, either. The tests are all equated anyway.

The preceding point (the questions are harder on more lenient scoring grids and easier on less lenient scoring grids) is true but doesn't really amount to anything other than that all the test are equal anyway.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:21 pm

joebloe wrote:But since they're doing test equating, the fact that the June curve is generally harsher suggests that the test itself is somewhat easier, whereas the leniency of the December curve suggests the test itself is more difficult.

Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about. :D

Well, depends if one is talking about difficulty in terms of raw questions correct or in terms of score.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:45 pm

Here's some more info on the equating process if you have free time and want to read up:
http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/ls ... -lsac.html
So don't worry about whether June, October, or December is easier. That's all been accounted for. The higher June and October test-taking count is really because of how many people want to get the ball rolling earlier, since by the time your December score is released, it's already pretty late in the game.

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:49 pm

i dont think any of them are easier because theyre based on a curve set 3 years before. I would definitely plan on taking the June one though because then you can send in your apps early. Even taking the October LSAT i feel that I was at a slight slight slight disadvantage

Beast15

Postby Beast15 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:00 pm

Sort of off topic but I found this while searching around...

I thought I had it all figured out until I read this: --LinkRemoved--

The argument looks pretty solid. If she's right, then the test date/application date don't matter all that much to someone whose numbers fall within the expected acceptance band.

Any thoughts?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:29 pm

As a person who used to be a part of standardized testing and curriculum designs, I know the answer is no. It takes too long and it's too technical to explain it on a forum, but everything is done to try to make sure most people will end up with very close scores whichever test they take. Individual variances will always exist but as a whole they try to ensure each administration's score distribution is about the same as other ones. (not raw score, equated score)

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:43 pm

r6_philly wrote:As a person who used to be a part of standardized testing and curriculum designs, I know the answer is no. It takes too long and it's too technical to explain it on a forum, but everything is done to try to make sure most people will end up with very close scores whichever test they take. Individual variances will always exist but as a whole they try to ensure each administration's score distribution is about the same as other ones. (not raw score, equated score)

Think about your PT scores. In the end you will consistently score within a couple of points, no matter which tests you take. Any large variance is luck of the draw (mostly getting LG types you are good or bad at).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”