Take LSAT first? or work first?

strawboy1230

Take LSAT first? or work first?

Postby strawboy1230 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:46 am

I was wondering if it would be better to take the LSAT before i graduate this june, or to take it when im working as a paralegal at a firm in nyc. i'll probably be there for 1, at most 2 years.

thanks

JazzOne

Re: Take LSAT first? or work first?

Postby JazzOne » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:47 am

Don't let anything hurt your GPA.

strawboy1230

Postby strawboy1230 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:50 am

JazzOne wrote:Don't let anything hurt your GPA.

So...i should graduate first? thing is, im working on my honors thesis, and i really haven't touched the books for LSAT yet. but from what i've read on these forums...ppl usually start studying 2-3 months beforehand.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:52 am

strawboy1230 wrote:

So...i should graduate first? thing is, im working on my honors thesis, and i really haven't touched the books for LSAT yet. but from what i've read on these forums...ppl usually start studying 2-3 months beforehand.

I think it takes more like 5 to 6 months to really maximize your score, but some people do it in less. Of course, I also read a lot of retake threads on this forum, so lots of folks should probably do it my way instead. If prepping for the LSAT is going to interfere with your grades, then just wait until after graduation. There is no rush. Law school isn't going anywhere. Taking an extra year to get the right LSAT score is well worth the time and effort.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:55 am

JazzOne wrote:
strawboy1230 wrote:

I think it takes more like 5 to 6 months to really maximize your score, but some people do it in less. Of course, I also read a lot of retake threads on this forum, so lots of folks should probably do it my way instead. If prepping for the LSAT is going to interfere with your grades, then just wait until you graduation. There is no rush. Law school isn't going anywhere. Taking an extra year to get the right LSAT score is well worth the time and effort.

I think this is good advice. I started my prep at the end of July for the October test. I scored very well, but I'm willing to bet I am in the minority on that one (plus who's to say I wouldn't have scored even higher had I prepped for longer). Graduate first. Between an honors thesis and other classes, you're gonna be way too pressed for time trying to squeeze LSAT prep in there.

When are you starting work as a paralegal? If it isn't immediately upon graduation, you can get a good start then.

strawboy1230

Postby strawboy1230 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:07 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
strawboy1230 wrote:

I think it takes more like 5 to 6 months to really maximize your score, but some people do it in less. Of course, I also read a lot of retake threads on this forum, so lots of folks should probably do it my way instead. If prepping for the LSAT is going to interfere with your grades, then just wait until you graduation. There is no rush. Law school isn't going anywhere. Taking an extra year to get the right LSAT score is well worth the time and effort.

I think this is good advice. I started my prep at the end of July for the October test. I scored very well, but I'm willing to bet I am in the minority on that one (plus who's to say I wouldn't have scored even higher had I prepped for longer). Graduate first. Between an honors thesis and other classes, you're gonna be way too pressed for time trying to squeeze LSAT prep in there.

When are you starting work as a paralegal? If it isn't immediately upon graduation, you can get a good start then.

I'm starting pretty much right after graduation (June 20th). I'm planning on working overtime, so hopefully i can squeeze in some study time. The good thing about the paralegal job is that i specifically chose one that had more lax hours than others because i wanted to be more relaxed and potentially study for the LSAT.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:12 am

i studied the lsat for 3 months. got a 163.

now i'm comtemplating retaking it after i graduate this spring. i think 3 months is enough to get a good score (and even a great score) for some people, but if i had 2 more months, i don't think i'm in this position. taking your time and getting the lsat right once is sound advice.

elibrarian

Postby elibrarian » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:46 pm

This is exactly what I'm doing. Graduated in May, started studying for the LSAT in July, got myself a nice paralegal job in the city and am taking the LSAT in February. Working and studying is far easier than writing a thesis and studying. Best of luck with everything!

strawboy1230

Postby strawboy1230 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:35 pm

elibrarian wrote:This is exactly what I'm doing. Graduated in May, started studying for the LSAT in July, got myself a nice paralegal job in the city and am taking the LSAT in February. Working and studying is far easier than writing a thesis and studying. Best of luck with everything!

Mind sharing your study schedule? I'd love to have something to go off of. Is it weekends and whenever you can during the week? or something else?

thanks

multiprose

Postby multiprose » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:50 pm

do you need or have a paralegal cert to get the job?

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:58 pm

I agree with JazzOne. Take 6 months to study for the LSAT. My buddy went from mid 150s to 170 after studying for 6 months. Really pretty impressive. If you don't want to dedicate 6 months to prepping for the LSAT then you should very seriously consider your motivations. An extra couple points can mean the difference between good schools/good money and eh schools/no money

1. Focus on your GPA
2. Study your ass off for 6 months for the LSAT
3.????
4. Subject yourself to the misery of law school

elibrarian

Postby elibrarian » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:41 pm

"Mind sharing your study schedule? I'd love to have something to go off of. Is it weekends and whenever you can during the week? or something else?

thanks"

Certainly! I'm taking the Feb test and have been taking 4 PTs a week. This has been tough as I don't function well after work so I've been doing two on the weekends and getting up at 5:00 a.m. a few days during the week to take the tests/review. I also have photocopied all the LR problems I missed and will be working through those on days I don't test (I review my tests the same day I take them).

I'm lucky enough that I get the occasional free minute at work to study a bit but it isn't terribly focused, thus the early rising. I work 9-5 Monday through Friday which isn't half as bad as many others working full time on this forum so I figure if I have to get up early a few days a week in order to make it into the T14, so be it. Good luck with everything, PM me if you have any more specific questions!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”