I don't know how to study

tough_cookie

I don't know how to study

Postby tough_cookie » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:36 pm

I found the first three years of college to be a breeze, and as a result I don't think I ever learned the necessary skills that one needs to study. I know that might sound ludacris to some, but it's the honest truth. In some of my classes I even got away with never doing any of the reading; I would just skim over it before a test.

I need to learn good study skills, but more specifically skills that I can use when I study for the LSAT. I already took the December LSAT and did alright, but realistically speaking I need a very good score and not one that is just "okay."

I took a prep course with Kaplan. I found that my mind would wander all the time. The course material seemed extremely easy, but that didn't translate into my practice exams.

Advice?
Last edited by tough_cookie on Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ginj

Re: I don't know how to study

Postby Ginj » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:38 pm

tough_cookie wrote:I found the first three years of college to be a breeze, and as a result I don't think I ever learned the necessary skills that one needs to study. I know that might sound ludacris to some, but it's the honest truth. In some of my classes I even got away with never doing any of the reading; I would just skim over it before a test.

I need to learn good study skills, but more specifically skills that I can use when I study for the LSAT. I already took the December LSAT and did alright, but realistically speaking I need a very good score and not one that is just "okay."

I took a prep course with Kaplan (I also work for them). I found that my mind would wander all the time. The course material seemed extremely easy, but that didn't translate into my practice exams.

Advice?

teehee
Last edited by Ginj on Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tough_cookie

Postby tough_cookie » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:38 pm

Additional Information-

I'm and English Writing and Rhetoric Major. I graduate in May 2011.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:39 pm

tough_cookie wrote:I found the first three years of college to be a breeze, and as a result I don't think I ever learned the necessary skills that one needs to study. I know that might sound ludacris to some, but it's the honest truth. In some of my classes I even got away with never doing any of the reading; I would just skim over it before a test.

I took a prep course with Kaplan (I also work for them). I found that my mind would wander all the time. The course material seemed extremely easy, but that didn't translate into my practice exams.

Advice?

1. Get the PowerScore Bibles.
2. Work through them, ensuring that you do all of the drills (twice).
3.???*
4. Profit

*Of course there is no step three, but if there were it would be to take all of the actual prep-tests you can get your hands on.

tough_cookie

Postby tough_cookie » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:43 pm

dextermorgan wrote:

Advice?

3.???*
4. Profit

*Of course there is no step three, but if there were it would be to take all of the actual prep-tests you can get your hands on.

I've already picked up the Powerscore Bibles. I assume that you mean doing a drill and then redoing it to make sure you understand all of the steps. I just started them.

How do you stay focused?

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:45 pm

tough_cookie wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:

Advice?

3.???*
4. Profit

I've already picked up the Powerscore Bibles. I assume that you mean doing a drill and then redoing it to make sure you understand all of the steps. I just started them.

How do you stay focused?

Caffeine.

And by posting this above my bed: Image

SnoDog

Postby SnoDog » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:57 pm

^ Wow that picture is rough.. Is that a real "college" or some mock school somebody made? :cry:

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:00 pm

SnoDog wrote:^ Wow that picture is rough.. Is that a real "college" or some mock school somebody made? :cry:

People's College of Law.

Google it.

tough_cookie

Postby tough_cookie » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:02 pm

dextermorgan wrote:
SnoDog wrote:^ Wow that picture is rough.. Is that a real "college" or some mock school somebody made? :cry:

People's College of Law.

Google it.

It looks like they had a 12-year-old kid design the website -for free!

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:14 pm

the better you do on the lsat, the better chance you have at getting a scholarship to go to law school. Think of the time you put into studying as an investment. Yes you will have to pay some money, but if you do it right, you could turn a couple hundred to a thousand dollars of investment into a full scholarship worth 30-40k a year for 3 years.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:19 pm

tough_cookie wrote:I found the first three years of college to be a breeze, and as a result I don't think I ever learned the necessary skills that one needs to study... I took a prep course with Kaplan (I also work for them).

Kaplan would not be happy with this. Just saying.

tough_cookie

Postby tough_cookie » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:21 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
tough_cookie wrote:I found the first three years of college to be a breeze, and as a result I don't think I ever learned the necessary skills that one needs to study... I took a prep course with Kaplan (I also work for them).

About my comment or the fact that I have poor study skills?

Postby 8675309 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:11 pm

tough_cookie wrote:
SchopenhauerFTW wrote:

I was kind of in the same boat as you. I made the LSAT fun. Now, I actually like to study. My guess would be to start studying with a section that you actually enjoy. I started with LG and because I like doing it, I don't mind. Logic games is also fun to start with because it's an easy section to improve on. To me, the more that I learn and the more questions I get correct, the more it motivates me.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:20 pm

8675309 wrote:
tough_cookie wrote:
SchopenhauerFTW wrote:

I was kind of in the same boat as you. I made the LSAT fun. Now, I actually like to study. My guess would be to start studying with a section that you actually enjoy. I started with LG and because I like doing it, I don't mind. Logic games is also fun to start with because it's an easy section to improve on. To me, the more that I learn and the more questions I get correct, the more it motivates me.

Making it fun is vital. There is only joy or agony.

tough_cookie: I was just saying that Kaplan may not be happy knowing that one of their tutors wouldn't know how to study (meaning, they might be concerned with maintaining their image). But after reflecting on my own experience with Kaplan I guess they wouldn't be. Never mind.

Voyager

Postby Voyager » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:17 pm

Well, among others, I suppose there is this thread you could check out:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/archives/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7241

Lemon Lyman

Postby Lemon Lyman » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:46 am

It's tough to get motivated, especially over Christmas Break.. Try and structure your studying as much as possible

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:50 am

Studying is overrated.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”