Possible Retake Consequences?

xmrmckenziex

Possible Retake Consequences?

Postby xmrmckenziex » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:56 pm

Hey all,

So i had just a few quick questions about retaking. I scored a 169 in Dec and will be retaking in Oct (June not an option due to a prior commitment). I was prepping mid 170's in the last week of prep so I am confident I can at least due a little better the 2nd time around. I am hitting the brakes and starting from square one by casually reading some books on formal logic and dense articles while I recover form my last LSAT binge (I'll start actual question probably around March or April).

Just wanted to know the possible consequences of a retake. If I score substantially higher (5 or more point jump) is the higher score pretty much the only thing looked at? Or, are they averaged? If I only score a point or two higher what is the case? In the worst case scenario of me scoring 169 again or scoring lower, what is the situation there i.e. does that just look awful to ad comms?

Just want to know my options and consequences moving forward from this point. Thankfully I didn't plan to apply this cycle anyways so I have the flexibility to wait until October.

Thanks all!

KevinP

Re: Possible Retake Consequences?

Postby KevinP » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:11 pm

xmrmckenziex wrote:Just wanted to know the possible consequences of a retake. If I score substantially higher (5 or more point jump) is the higher score pretty much the only thing looked at? Or, are they averaged?

This really depends on the school. For schools that take the highest, they could care less about your previous scores. Just make sure to write an addendum. For schools that average, they'll average the two.

You can check out the list of schools which take the highest and average at:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79953

xmrmckenziex wrote:If I only score a point or two higher what is the case?

This is also school dependent. But usually schools average in this case since it falls within your score band.

xmrmckenziex wrote:In the worst case scenario of me scoring 169 again or scoring lower, what is the situation there i.e. does that just look awful to ad comms?

Not really, shit happens. Just back it up with a valid addendum. It won't make a difference at schools that take the highest (unless they average in such instances when the scores are close together). It will hurt you at schools at average though.

edit:
tl;dr: retake
Last edited by KevinP on Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:27 pm

I don't really see much bad that come from retaking a 169. The schools you are likely looking at with this score only care about the highest anyway. Retaking for 2 or 3 points higher might mean better schools depending on your GPA.

HarlandBassett

Postby HarlandBassett » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:26 pm

KevinP wrote:
xmrmckenziex wrote:Just wanted to know the possible consequences of a retake. If I score substantially higher (5 or more point jump) is the higher score pretty much the only thing looked at? Or, are they averaged?

This really depends on the school. For schools that take the highest, they could care less about your previous scores. Just make sure to write an addendum. For schools that average, they'll average the two.

You can check out the list of schools which take the highest and average at:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79953

thanks. saved me about half an hour b/c i was compiling the same info

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”