Please help. PT28 Game 2 question #9

apom

Please help. PT28 Game 2 question #9

Postby apom » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:53 pm

The game about the researchers that learn various languages. I cannot figure out question #9. It makes no sense to me.

suspicious android

Re: Please help. PT28 Game 2 question #9

Postby suspicious android » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:00 pm

There are five lists among the answer choices. Four of them *could be* a list of everyone who learns BOTH Swahili and Yoruba. (B) could not be a list of everyone who learns both, because although the paleontologist can learn Swahili, either the historian or the linguist would have to learn it with him. So he could never be the only person who learns both those languages.

apom

Postby apom » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:03 pm

What about A. it has only the historian. Wouldn't someone else have to be with the historian since there are 2 researchers that learn S.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:16 pm

The historian always learn Yoruba, and he could learn Swahili with the geologist, who never learns Yoruba. In that case, the list of all the researchers who learn both Swahili and Yoruba would be only the historian.

I think this question stem is pretty devilish, it's really easy to misread it and choose answer choice A since it's pretty obvious that the historian can learn both the languages in question.

apom

Postby apom » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:49 pm

Ok I think I get it now. I know that HLP must learn Yoruba. And P + a combination of of H or L would be more then just P by itself. I hate how the test makers make questions tricky like this. This test is hard enough as it is.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”