Should I retake with a 175? :/

lackadaisy
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:57 am

Should I retake with a 175? :/

Postby lackadaisy » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:41 am

I've heard that it's risky to retake at that score, because one is more likely to score lower than higher. But I have reason to think my case might warrant retaking.

a) I was going through a bit of personal crap at the time of my LSAT, and so my study was minimal (we're talking three preptests total and a half-assed reading of the first third of a logic games book). On each practice, I scored 175 or 176; If I retake, I'll be able to commit to actual study.

b) And perhaps more importantly, on test day I unluckily chose a cabbie who did not speak English and became completely lost. He dropped me off, highly distraught and in the wrong part of downtown, forty minutes later; I ended up walking the rest of the way. Thanks to kind proctors, I was actually able to join the exam late, losing 10 minutes on the first section (reading comprehension). I did answer all questions in the end... but you can imagine my state of anxiety during both that section and the entire exam.

EDITED to add following questions:

(1) What kinds of test strategies are best to move 175 to 180? Typical test strategies or something different? I already own the Power Score series (all of them), three recent unused PTs, Princeton Review book, and the "10 Real"/"Next 10"/"10 More" books.

(2) And assuming I have plenty of time to study (senior spring or summer before work), what kind of PT score should I try to get before committing to retake? My biggest worry, after all, isn't squandering $140 or even 100 hours of study time -- I GOTS TIME -- but ending up with a 174 on the real thing and losing the only advantage I have going into my cycle.

Basic stats: GPA: 3.7 @ Harvard (Sociology & Economics), F, Asian-American, applying either next year or the year after (I will be working after graduation). To be honest, I'm only interested in HYS, because I am interested in public policy and can see alternative ways of getting there (and alternate degrees like MPP). Thoughts? Thank you so much.
Last edited by lackadaisy on Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Should I retake with a 175? :/

Postby JazzOne » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:44 am

I don't see much upside to retaking. You're already above every school's median, IIRC.

lackadaisy
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:57 am

Re: Should I retake with a 175? :/

Postby lackadaisy » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:46 am

JazzOne wrote:I don't see much upside to retaking. You're already above every school's median, IIRC.


But definitely not so with my GPA, right? I believe higher LSAT scores still correspond to under 50% admit rate?

User avatar
verklempt
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:59 pm

Re: Should I retake with a 175? :/

Postby verklempt » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:47 am

You are admissible at HYS with that gpa and LSAT, so I'd put more effort in the PS and LORs just to make sure the entire application shines.

User avatar
takehold
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: Should I retake with a 175? :/

Postby takehold » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:53 am

Congrats on the 175, but to be honest there is a chance you might be facing a shutout of HYS because of your GPA and the 3.8 soft floor (I don't know the effect of having H as UG). Because of this, I don't know if devoting the time to study/prepare and then chancing the retake is worth it (obviously this is contingent on how much effort you feel like you will need to put in). You should definitely still apply though. Best of luck.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Should I retake with a 175? :/

Postby JazzOne » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:54 am

takehold wrote:Congrats on the 175, but to be honest there is a chance you might be facing a shutout of HYS because of your GPA and the 3.8 soft floor (I don't know the effect of having H as UG). Because of this, I don't know if devoting the time to study/prepare and then chancing the retake is worth it (obviously this is contingent on how much effort you feel like you will need to put in). You should definitely still apply though. Best of luck.

That's what I was thinking, but I didn't have the GPA to be competitive at HYS, and I didn't want to spew some bad information.

Actually, I'm a URM, so I might have had a shot at HYS, but there was no way in hell I was going to pay sticker or anything close to it, so I didn't bother applying.

ATR
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: Should I retake with a 175? :/

Postby ATR » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:56 am

Why would you retake a 175? You're above median for every US law school. Also, this:
verklempt wrote:You are admissible at HYS with that gpa and LSAT, so I'd put more effort in the PS and LORs just to make sure the entire application shines.

lackadaisy
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:57 am

Re: Should I retake with a 175? :/

Postby lackadaisy » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:58 am

atresia wrote:Why would you retake a 175? You're above median for every US law school.


I probably won't have great LORs -- haven't really done much 'networking' with my professors :( -- also, this nagging fear:

takehold wrote:Congrats on the 175, but to be honest there is a chance you might be facing a shutout of HYS because of your GPA and the 3.8 soft floor.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Should I retake with a 175? :/

Postby kazu » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:11 am

HLS gives a boost to Harvard undergrads, so I think you're definitely in at H.

A higher retake score will make no difference whatsoever to the remainder of your apps. You're definitely in at CCN and below, with good chances for $$. For Y and S, there's little if any difference between a 3.7/175 and a 3.7/180. Like the others said above, I'd focus on trying to make the rest of your app shine as much as possible, and not waste time on a retake.

thsmthcrmnl
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:07 am

Re: Should I retake with a 175? :/

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:27 am

I'll go against the grain and say retake. I'm at 3.7/176 and I was rejected from Harvard. If you're the kind of person for whom 180's no sweat (which is not to say you get a 180 every time), what's the risk?

The only non-URMs that got in so far this cycle with below a 3.8 all have LSATs over the 75th.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/haver1234/jd
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jumpinjill/jd
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/sbl07/jd

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Should I retake with a 175? :/

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:31 am

thsmthcrmnl wrote:I'll go against the grain and say retake. I'm at 3.7/176 and I was rejected from Harvard. If you're the kind of person for whom 180's no sweat (which is not to say you get a 180 every time), what's the risk?

The only non-URMs that got in so far this cycle with below a 3.8 all have LSATs over the 75th.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/haver1234/jd
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jumpinjill/jd
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/sbl07/jd


i am inclined to agree. while i dont think a 175+ score will really help your case much (your 3.7 really hurts you for HYS; plenty of 3.7 and 175+ last cycle got dinged), it certainly wouldnt hurt it. if you can 'easily' get a 178+, then i dont see the down side. will it be game changing? prob not, but it might help and tip you in at H (esp. since it was your undergrad).

User avatar
swfangirl
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Should I retake with a 175? :/

Postby swfangirl » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:49 am

lackadaisy wrote:Basic stats: GPA: 3.7 @ Harvard (Sociology & Economics), F, Asian-American, applying either next year or the year after (I will be working after graduation). To be honest, I'm only interested in HYS, because I am interested in public policy and can see alternative ways of getting there (and alternate degrees like MPP). Thoughts? Thank you so much.


You're at Harvard---have you gone to look at the grids yet? They have them in your prelaw office. I know, one of my close friends who goes to H undergrad typed up a chunk of the relevant grid for me. You get a boost at H for going to H. Go to your prelaw office and ask them for advice---the cycle of H undergrads is diff from most ppl on TLS. I'm pretty sure they're going to tell you "no".

User avatar
casper13
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:03 am

Re: Should I retake with a 175? :/

Postby casper13 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:51 am

Standard TLS answer here (LinkRemoved)

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Should I retake with a 175? :/

Postby kazu » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:54 am

Some more info: http://harvard.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... ,8&type=jd

Last cycle's Harvard applicants from HYP undergrads. Out of 9, only 3 were rejected/WLed: 172/3.66, 173/3.3, and 176/3.6(WL). Everyone else was accepted, including a 175/3.72 and a 176/3.69.

swfangirl is right, HLS is known to give boosts to their undergrads. And YS won't care if you have a higher score than 175 or not.

lackadaisy
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:57 am

Re: Should I retake with a 175? :/

Postby lackadaisy » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:37 am

swfangirl wrote:You're at Harvard---have you gone to look at the grids yet? They have them in your prelaw office. I know, one of my close friends who goes to H undergrad typed up a chunk of the relevant grid for me. You get a boost at H for going to H. Go to your prelaw office and ask them for advice---the cycle of H undergrads is diff from most ppl on TLS. I'm pretty sure they're going to tell you "no".


I haven't seen the grids yet -- I didn't know about them and definitely will when the career office reopens. My (informal) prelaw advisor has already told me "no" on retaking, TBH -- but he's the kind who would advise someone to just relax and go to any T14 and be happy. ;)

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Should I retake with a 175? :/

Postby Ragged » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:42 am

Not sure how much having a Harvard UG means for Harvard but I would say that if you really want top 3 you should retake, because as of now you are out of all three, unless you have good softs.

So yea, retake.

EDIT: You also have a bullshit major so no love there.

lackadaisy
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:57 am

Re: Should I retake with a 175? :/

Postby lackadaisy » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:31 am

Ragged wrote:EDIT: You also have a bullshit major so no love there.


Not exactly. I'm in an honors concentration with 13 required courses (and a 120-page thesis) who has taken a full semester in graduate-level coursework. I understand your point, and I'm glad to hear a confirmation of my impulse to retake, but I really hate being told what I've chosen to study is "bullshit."

shastaca
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:00 pm

Re: Should I retake with a 175? :/

Postby shastaca » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:43 am

with a 99.5 percentile even if you improve to 180 your score band is not going to change. If you end up with a 170 your score band will change. So I would opt not to take.

For what it's worth, Sociology Economics is about optimum to prepare for LSAT: Lots of reading from Soc and lots of logic practice in Econ.

User avatar
gbpackerbacker
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

Re: Should I retake with a 175? :/

Postby gbpackerbacker » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:21 am

lackadaisy wrote:
Ragged wrote:EDIT: You also have a bullshit major so no love there.


Not exactly. I'm in an honors concentration with 13 required courses (and a 120-page thesis) who has taken a full semester in graduate-level coursework. I understand your point, and I'm glad to hear a confirmation of my impulse to retake, but I really hate being told what I've chosen to study is "bullshit."


Harvard Grad 1, Ragged 0

User avatar
Beast15
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:50 pm

Re: Should I retake with a 175? :/

Postby Beast15 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:02 am

casper13 wrote:Standard TLS answer here (LinkRemoved)


Busted out laughing; woke-up roommate. Hilarious.

User avatar
Beast15
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:50 pm

Re: Should I retake with a 175? :/

Postby Beast15 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:06 am

Ragged wrote:
EDIT: You also have a bullshit major so no love there.


Nonsense.

User avatar
rso11
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Should I retake with a 175? :/

Postby rso11 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:57 am

Dude, it's possible you might get higher, but with that score you don't NEED to get higher. You know? Especially if your GPA is higher than like, a 2.0. Yeesh. This forum makes everyone lose all sense of perspective.

User avatar
rso11
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Should I retake with a 175? :/

Postby rso11 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:00 am

Oh, and unless you're HYS-or-bust.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: Should I retake with a 175? :/

Postby akili » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:50 am

rso11 wrote:Oh, and unless you're HYS-or-bust.


LOL, they are.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Should I retake with a 175? :/

Postby JazzOne » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:31 pm

rso11 wrote:Oh, and unless you're HYS-or-bust.

lackadaisy wrote:I'm only interested in HYS

Nice reading




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, cherrygalore and 6 guests