LSAT writing sample error

rajvinder

LSAT writing sample error

Postby rajvinder » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:34 pm

I took the December 2010 LSAT and scored a decent 164 (it's a few points lower than my prep-test average, but still decent). My concern is not with my score, but rather with an error I made on the writing sample. In one of my sentences, instead of saying "Round Lake Camp," I wrote "Round Park Camp." Yes, I'm aware that the error is rather dumb. Maybe I'm just being a tad neurotic, but I'm wondering how much of an impact that kind of error would have on my application. I have a relatively good GPA (3.79), good letters of recommendation, and alright softs. How much weight is put on the writing sample? Will that kind of error be damaging to an otherwise strong application?
Last edited by rajvinder on Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KevinP

Re: LSAT writing sample error

Postby KevinP » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:40 pm

rajvinder wrote:I took the December 2010 LSAT and scored a decent 164 (it's a few points lower than my prep-test average, but still decent). My concern is not with my score, but rather with an error I made on the writing sample. In one of my sentences, instead of saying "Round Lake Camp," I wrote "Round Park Camp." Yes, I'm aware that the error is rather dumb. Maybe I'm just being a tad neurotic, but I'm wondering how much of an impact that kind of error would have on my application. I have a relatively good GPA (3.79), good letters of recommendation, and alright softs.

rajvinder wrote:How much weight is put on the writing sample?

Not that much, if at all. Most likely none at all.

rajvinder wrote:Would that kind of error be damaging to an otherwise strong application?

No. I doubt adcomms would even notice the mistake. A lot of adcomms admitted they didn't even bother reading the writing section.

Please see:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=140770

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:00 pm

The adcomms know you only have 35 minutes to write the essay. They aren't expecting a perfectly polished paper. If they read it, it will most likely be in order to assess your ability to form an argument and effectively present it in your writing. I've also heard that they sometimes use it to compare to your PS to make sure that the same person wrote both. But a simple spelling error or wrong word is probably insignificant for the purposes of the writing sample.

rajvinder

Postby rajvinder » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:45 pm

Thanks for the prompt and helpful responses. For me, there was nothing more frustrating/discouraging about my score than reading through my writing sample and realizing that I'd made an error in it.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:04 pm

I bet most adcomms wouldn't even notice it, and most wouldn't care if they did. You didn't make some stupid logical error in your argument, you didn't make a grotesque grammatical error calling your literacy into question, you just replaced one word with a similar (and equally innocuous) word.

yardsale

Postby yardsale » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:48 pm

I made a similar mistake, I referred to the camp as RLC in my first paragraph, but accidentally called it RCL in the rest of the sample. Wouldn't worry about it, doubtful anyone will notice or care.

DarkPhantom

Postby DarkPhantom » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:05 pm

Lol, just a LITTLE neurotic?? You have a 3.79...with a 164 on the LSAT - I think a small misplaced word is the most of your worries...

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:08 pm

-

rajvinder

Postby rajvinder » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:43 pm

DarkPhantom wrote:Lol, just a LITTLE neurotic?? You have a 3.79...with a 164 on the LSAT - I think a small misplaced word is the most of your worries...

Maybe a lot neurotic? Or maybe putting a bit too much weight on the writing sample? I guess when I read over my writing sample I couldn't help but notice certain assumptions and weaknesses in my argument, with this error being the most obvious. I'm guessing that the writing sample is only a small factor in the overall application, but my concern is that errors could be red flags for the admission's committee.

Again, thank you to all responders for giving me a better perspective on my writing sample/application!

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:13 am

wait you were serious?!

rajvinder

Postby rajvinder » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:15 am

lakers3peat wrote:wait you were serious?!

Yeah, I guess I was. I didn't spend as much time looking up information on the writing sample as I did other question types, so I was a bit concerned. I now know that I didn't really have to be..

ardaturan

Postby ardaturan » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:21 am

Wow. The guy misuses one word on the writing sample and assumes he's not going to get into his beloved law school anymore. Poor kid.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:31 am

This might not hurt your admissions chances too much, but you're pretty much f'ed regarding scholarships.

BlueFeathers

Postby BlueFeathers » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:33 pm

LMAO! You'll be fine. As long as you said "Round Camp" anything they know what you're talking about.

I got neurotic during it and erased carefully because in a few spots I said "Round Rock Camp"

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”