Why Would LSAC Release the Test to Those Who Took it?

Diiizzzzoooo

Why Would LSAC Release the Test to Those Who Took it?

Postby Diiizzzzoooo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:34 pm

I don't understand. What is stopping anyone from making them available on the web? Is this a recent implementation? I was pretty shocked to see that I could download the whole test from December.

Diiizzzzoooo

Re: Why Would LSAC Release the Test to Those Who Took it?

Postby Diiizzzzoooo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:59 pm

Just to clarify, because 4 people have already PM'd me, when I logged into LSAC to view my score, one of the .pdf links was a download of the entire test from December. I did NOT get it online, nor do I know of any links to websites or networks that have it. I was just wondering why LSAC does this, because it seems counterintuitive considering their strict warnings against reproduction of test materials.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:02 pm

Diiizzzzoooo wrote:I don't understand. What is stopping anyone from making them available on the web? Is this a recent implementation? I was pretty shocked to see that I could download the whole test from December.

They will be available to buy soon, and who really wants to go around distributing LSAT tests ? That wouldnt look to good getting caught, considering most people who take the LSAT want to go to law school...

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:05 pm

LSAC makes a fortune off licensing the old PTs to prep companies and sales of prep books. Evidently this income is much more than the cost of making new test questions.

And aggressive copyright enforcement is going to work a lot better with the "future lawyers" population given what a serious black mark the phrase, "unlawfully appropriated copyrighted test materials" is from a C&F perspective.

Diiizzzzoooo

Postby Diiizzzzoooo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:05 pm

Sandro777 wrote:
Diiizzzzoooo wrote:I don't understand. What is stopping anyone from making them available on the web? Is this a recent implementation? I was pretty shocked to see that I could download the whole test from December.

They will be available to buy soon, and who really wants to go around distributing LSAT tests ? That wouldnt look to good getting caught, considering most people who take the LSAT want to go to law school...

Whether or not anyone wants to distribute LSAT tests doesn't matter. The point is they can. Plus, it isn't exactly a high-risk proposition to upload a .pdf file on the internet.

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:07 pm

Diiizzzzoooo wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:

Whether or not anyone wants to distribute LSAT tests doesn't matter. The point is they can. Plus, it isn't exactly a high-risk proposition to upload a .pdf file on the internet.

Are you serious? I totally wouldn't put it past LSAC to digitally watermark every PDF with your LSAC number or some encoded version of it.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:08 pm

LSAC will be selling the preptests soon anyway. They simply offer it as a convenience because the test is disclosed as par the agreement when you pay to take the test.

Diiizzzzoooo wrote:I don't understand. What is stopping anyone from making them available on the web?

Nothing. That's why there are a lot of pretests already available on the internet and most of them were photo-scanned. LSAC isn't stupid, anyone willing to distribute the materials via pdfs can just as well photo-scan the materials and post them online. LSAC trying to stop pirating by not disclosing the test materials would be just as foolish as the RIAA implementing copyright protection mechanisms.

Diiizzzzoooo wrote:Is this a recent implementation? I was pretty shocked to see that I could download the whole test from December.

No.

Diiizzzzoooo

Postby Diiizzzzoooo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:11 pm

joebloe wrote:
Are you serious? I totally wouldn't put it past LSAC to digitally watermark every PDF with your LSAC number or some encoded version of it.

I thought it would be fairly obvious that I was talking about scanning a simple page of black and white text.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:21 pm

joebloe wrote:Are you serious? I totally wouldn't put it past LSAC to digitally watermark every PDF with your LSAC number or some encoded version of it.

Interesting, I'm on a Unix machine so I ran the strings command on the PDF and it seems to contain an encrypted ID at the very bottom. I don't know enough about the PDF format to say whether this an internal PDF mechanism, a unique ID to the tests, or a unique ID to the PDF file itself (hence tracing the file back to the LSAC account). I strongly suspect it is unique to the PDF file though.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:29 pm

They're going to sell them soon so people will have access and the ability to illegally give them out on the internet anyway.

This is not a recent implementation at all.

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:04 pm

lsac is a non profit so squeezing every penny of earnings isn't exactly a top priority. Yes they make it easy to distribute copyrighted materials, and yes its not hard to find these on the internet. But is it such a problem that lsac is no longer making enough money through other sources to cover the cost of running the organizations? Probably not.

When you compare the problem of a whole lot of test takers being really annoyed that they cannot review the test that essentially determines how their career may play out to the problem of easily being able to illegally distribute the test (something that will probably happen ANYWAY regardless of how easy it is), the former probably outweighs the latter.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”