advice for retaking the LSAT

SkiPow88

advice for retaking the LSAT

Postby SkiPow88 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:24 pm

Looking for some advice regarding retaking the LSAT. I had been studying fairly consistently for about 4 months prior to the December test. I was continually scoring from 159-164. On test day I got killed with a 155.
I am determined to beat this test. A 155 just isn't going to cut it for me. I am working full time, but have plenty of time to study. Was wondering what people think about taking the Feb. test? I have five good weeks to study. If not I'm content with re-taking my class and studying for June.

Is February too soon? Is retaking a Powerscore class too much? Or would you advise not taking the test 3 times? Any advice/expertise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

DarkPhantom

Re: advice for retaking the LSAT

Postby DarkPhantom » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:22 pm

I don't know how much time you're going to be dedicating, but I have quit work and all other endeavors and risking it all for the FEB LSAT. I just restarted because I was discouraged earlier, but feeling optimistic and seeing as my practice LSATs have been in 158-160 range, I think I can hopefully get into the 160s by Feb 12 - hoping to land my actual score into the upper 150s if not 160s range :)

I would register for the Feb LSAT if and only if you can dedicate all your time.

hypothalamus

Postby hypothalamus » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:09 pm

I think you'll be fine for February, if you really try.

Some things to think about include: doing whole sections and even better whole tests in one sitting; practicing early in the morning (that was a huge issue for me on test day); timing yourself very strictly (try doing 33 minute sections); getting enough rest and not stressing out too much the week before the test.

More generally, I think your mentality of being determined to beat the test is the way to go :). I got raped by the LSAT once, so I went in the second time thinking there's no way I can take that humiliation again. (It might be just me though... I'm a very competitive person.) That's also what helped me stay somewhat motivated after a very disappointing first score and with 5 courses/athletics/job to deal with...
Good luck!

SkiPow88

Postby SkiPow88 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:36 am

THanks for the quick responses. I think I've decided to skip the February LSAT, and go for the June LSAT. I've been reading a couple threads, and it seems to me it may be a good idea to take the rest of January off (gives me a good month and a half break from the test), retake the lsat course, and go hard for the June test. How did you guys simulate the test setting? I think I had nerves running fairly high even though I had taken over 20-25 pt's.

Beast15

Postby Beast15 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:12 pm

SkiPow88 wrote: How did you guys simulate the test setting? I think I had nerves running fairly high even though I had taken over 20-25 pt's.

LSAT Proctor DVD (Simugator). Also, see if Kaplan or PR are offing free test simulations just before the Feb/June test dates.

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:24 pm

SkiPow88 wrote:THanks for the quick responses. I think I've decided to skip the February LSAT, and go for the June LSAT. I've been reading a couple threads, and it seems to me it may be a good idea to take the rest of January off (gives me a good month and a half break from the test), retake the lsat course, and go hard for the June test. How did you guys simulate the test setting? I think I had nerves running fairly high even though I had taken over 20-25 pt's.

I didn't simulate test conditions, I simulated the worst conditions possible.

For example, I woke up an earlier than I had to and took PTs at 8 in the morning as opposed to 9 (when the actual test started). I live in Florida so I took all my PTs outside in direct sunlight. I also worked right through lawnmowers, kids screaming, dogs barking and rain pouring down overhead (in Florida it rains even on sunny days). Usually I took 34 minute sections and did all 4 sections in succession without stopping at all.

To make matters worse (and you can disregard this because it's really awkward - however it helped calm my nerves and keep my focused), I slapped myself hard in the face before taking every test (even the real one). I have horrible anxiety so that "shock" to my system acted a reset button that put me into test mode.

It was crazy, and I didn't think any of this would actually help - but I ended up getting a 172 on test day. This is all that matters.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”