poi

Postby poi » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:21 pm

Last edited by poi on Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

sarahlawg

Re: I think there's something wrong with me

Postby sarahlawg » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:27 pm

poi wrote:Throughout my study history, my PT scores generally averaged mid 60s to mid 70s with consistent mid 70s in the weeks leading up to the test (even hitting the glorious 180 twice).

Actual test day: October -choked. December - choked worse and came out with flat 160.

I've heard of test day anxiety, but assumed that was a 5 point drop max. I've signed up for June, but I think I need to make some changes in how I go about studying. I know if I just continue taking practice tests as usual, the auspicious conditions will again lead to deceptively high scores. I've read some posts about beta blockers, but am not sure I want to go there just yet, lol. Any ideas on how to simulate incredibly stressful conditions...or what else I might be doing wrong? Basically, what should i be doing for June? Thanks.

I took a Kaplan (free) administered test on each of the two saturdays before my test. I think that really helped because I had my little freak out on the first one, got better on the second one, and hardly seemed to notice on the last one. For the second test I just took in my own since they were administering the same one as the week before. HTH

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:32 pm

Kaplan's offering free practice LSATs with proctors every week this month. The degree to which the test center experience mirrors testing conditions may vary, but, hey, it's free.

You can also bring your own PrepTest if you don't want to use theirs (they usually administer PT36). Just remember to bring an extra section to simulate the experimental.

Some other tips on preparing for the worst.

VictrixRapax

Postby VictrixRapax » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:45 pm

Use 3 different practice test settings. First, it's just you and a pet or two. Second; it's just you; no sound. Third, blast the stereo.

Repeat. Over and over. And over.

poi

Postby poi » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:04 pm

Last edited by poi on Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:09 pm

take your test in a public library. the noise and constant movement will be sufficient for test day. Try giving yourself a few minutes less to complete each section, or do a combination of the two. Taking your test at home where its perfectly quiet wont work. However, since you took 2 tests allready, you need to figure out what its really like. Do you not get enough sleep the week before, or night before and are tired? Are you over caffinated/ under caffinated? Do you need to do warm ups / work on endurance?

thats more important that jhust taking the test. Find out whats holding you back, and conquor it!

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:46 pm

lol my test center was dead quiet. I hadn't practiced that!

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:35 pm

northwood wrote:take your test in a public library. the noise and constant movement will be sufficient for test day. Try giving yourself a few minutes less to complete each section, or do a combination of the two. Taking your test at home where its perfectly quiet wont work. However, since you took 2 tests allready, you need to figure out what its really like. Do you not get enough sleep the week before, or night before and are tired? Are you over caffinated/ under caffinated? Do you need to do warm ups / work on endurance?

thats more important that jhust taking the test. Find out whats holding you back, and conquor it!

+1

Excellent points, all.

Spinach Lover

Postby Spinach Lover » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:25 pm

poi wrote:Throughout my study history, my PT scores generally averaged mid 60s to mid 70s with consistent mid 70s in the weeks leading up to the test (even hitting the glorious 180 twice).

Actual test day: October -choked. December - choked worse and came out with flat 160.

I've heard of test day anxiety, but assumed that was a 5 point drop max. I've signed up for June, but I think I need to make some changes in how I go about studying. I know if I just continue taking practice tests as usual, the auspicious conditions will again lead to deceptively high scores. I've read some posts about beta blockers, but am not sure I want to go there just yet, lol. Any ideas on how to simulate incredibly stressful conditions...or what else I might be doing wrong? Basically, what should i be doing for June? Thanks.

Force yourself to finish a section in thirty minutes.

rjh456

Postby rjh456 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:24 pm

kaplan also has an event called the LSAT Experience or something like that - where the weekend before the actual test they administer the most recent released test and basically provide a dress rehearsal of test day - they finger print you, assign seats, and read ALL the official instructions. they even make you write the writing sample, for what it's worth... I found it really helpful both times i took it. if you take the class its free, but you can pay for it on its own like i did for about $100. sounds like a lot, but I did it twice and they let me do it for free the second time around, so that worked out to about $50 each to simulate test day almost perfectly...

also make sure you write at least one practice test somewhere in your actual test center before the day.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:31 pm

when you retake, make sure to get your sleep schedule adjusted 2 weeks proir to the test. YOu dont start taking the test until 915 or so ( you have to be there at 830 i think), so calculate how long it takes for you to wake up until 915 on test day, and dont start taking a test until then. Make sure to get enough rest and lower your stress aned anxiety the week of the test. If you are fullly rested, even if you dont get a sound sleep the night before, you will still be more rested than if you just tried to go to be early one night before.

BrianOz1

Postby BrianOz1 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:59 pm

I'm actually going to say the opposite of most in this thread. I prepped like crazy for the oct LSAT and scored a 163 ( there was an unforeseen circumstance that resulted in some of the point drop) which was lower than any PT I had ever taken. For the Dec LSAT I did little to no extra prep. The week before I made sure that I still was able to answer questions acurately within the time limit. I didn't even take a full practice test. I scored a 170. My reasoning for suggesting this is that if you can score in that range than you have the ability, but I feel like for some people (myself included) a lot of prep does more damage than good. I felt a lot less pressure and a lot more relaxed taking the second test and I believe that it had a lot to do with my performance.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:25 pm

beta blockers are a good idea. I didn't use them for the LSAT, but I have used them (clonidine) for public speeches and other stressful situations that were anxiety provoking. I brought one with me to the LSAT but didn't feel like I ended up needing it.

They really don't impair your cognitive abilities at all. Xanax and other benzos are liable to make you stoopid, but beta blockers will leave you sharp. My advice...talk to a shrink. Beta blockers might not be for you, but it is certainly an option worth exploring if you do have a diagnosable anxiety disorder.

poi

Postby poi » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:31 pm

Last edited by poi on Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jlhero

Postby jlhero » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:57 pm

maybe try a different test centre.

my test centre for dec test was so bad that caused me to score 7 points below my pt average.

table size, lighting, waiting time all make a difference.

hope that helps

Chimica

Postby Chimica » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:00 am

Buy a large untrained dog of bad temperment and uncertain temper. Don't feed him for a week. Then lock yourself in a room, strap two large steaks to your body and let the dog loose. Write the LSAT.

Or 30 minute sections could help too.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”