LSAT Scores and High IQ societies

DieAntwoord

Re: LSAT Scores and High IQ societies

Postby DieAntwoord » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:18 am

what services do these organizations offer for the fee?

58932ugahoige

Postby 58932ugahoige » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:25 am

I think people join for the prestige, just so they can say that they have joined. A lot of people, like this clown (http://www.archure.net/psychology/akrosintel.html), really get off on how smart they think they are.

They--societies--often claim to offer stimulating materials for brilliant minds. I'm of the mindset that most brilliant minds that want to be stimulated are probably already in a setting which satisfies their needs. So, as Adjudicator said, it's about the privilege of calling yourself a member.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:26 am

Sounds like MENSA is nothing more than an intellectual circle-jerk.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:27 am

Adjudicator wrote:Sounds like MENSA is nothing more than an intellectual circle-jerk.

Any member should be openly ridiculed.

58932ugahoige

Postby 58932ugahoige » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:28 am

MENSA is child's play.

Go look at the list of them on Wikipedia; even it isn't exhaustive. There are High-IQ societies at various percentiles. For some, the 98th is too low, for others the 99.7th is too low.

It's one-upsmanship at its finest.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:31 am

Shmuckluk wrote:I think people join for the prestige, just so they can say that they have joined. A lot of people, like this clown (http://www.archure.net/psychology/akrosintel.html), really get off on how smart they think they are.

They--societies--often claim to offer stimulating materials for brilliant minds. I'm of the mindset that most brilliant minds that want to be stimulated are probably already in a setting which satisfies their needs. So, as Adjudicator said, it's about the privilege of calling yourself a member.

LOL at that link... wow. That guy's entire identity is based on his IQ. It is kind of fascinating.

pinkzeppelin

Postby pinkzeppelin » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:37 am

Shmuckluk wrote:MENSA is child's play.

Go look at the list of them on Wikipedia; even it isn't exhaustive. There are High-IQ societies at various percentiles. For some, the 98th is too low, for others the 99.7th is too low.

Man, I'm really glad there's none of that in the legal field. *phew*

58932ugahoige

Postby 58932ugahoige » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:49 am

I like how his self tested scores are significantly higher than professionally administered score. It's almost like there was bias introduced.

If you keep reading the site he goes on to say how hard it is being a genius, and how everyone should just accept what he says because of his "brilliance".

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:54 am

beachbum wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:One of the girls on my hall in college joined Mensa (for the dating prospects :roll: ) via her LSAT score. FTR, it's 95th percentile on your given administration.

I lol'ed

Don't. People with high IQs and LSAT scores, who would actually join a club for that, have some serious pent up sexual energy to release. Ten times freakier than the people on actual dating websites.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:56 am

pinkzeppelin wrote:
Shmuckluk wrote:MENSA is child's play.

Man, I'm really glad there's none of that in the legal field. *phew*

:lol:

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:00 am

Adjudicator wrote:
Shmuckluk wrote:I think people join for the prestige, just so they can say that they have joined. A lot of people, like this clown (http://www.archure.net/psychology/akrosintel.html), really get off on how smart they think they are.

LOL at that link... wow. That guy's entire identity is based on his IQ. It is kind of fascinating.

I'm a big fan of the list of "famous IQs."

For instance, I was unaware they tested IQs back when Plato was doing his thing...

lolschool2011

Postby lolschool2011 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:01 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:Sounds like MENSA is nothing more than an intellectual circle-jerk.

Any member should be openly ridiculed.

Mensa absolutely is a douche-fest.... once upon a time (this was a decade ago so don't mock me) I heard of some mysterious mensa club and so I googled it and there was a test in my city to join. I registered, took this ridiculous SAT-style (but shorter and easier) test, then got a letter in the mail about a month later indicating that I had passed the test and thereby was eligible to become a member. It is a total waste of time, unless you enjoy being around socially awkward people who think they are smart because they are able to pick, in a multiple choice test, which set of blocks you think completes a trivially easy junior high pattern. There was some basic math, logic, etc, but it's seriously ridiculous.

The proctor lady who seems to have never worn a stitch of makeup in her life and could have really used an eyebrow tweeze told me that every year they have a halloween party where everyone dresses as a "pun." Get it, a pun? Ok, so I then asked her, "does anyone ever show up to this party without a costume and tell everyone "no pun intended?" I waited..... waited.... she didn't get the joke. She was in mensa. That's mensa in a nutshell.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:03 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:

For instance, I was unaware they tested IQs back when Plato was doing his thing...

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. Even Isaac Newton... an IQ of 190, based on.... what? Someone's estimation based on his influence on science? It's a total joke.

I'm not even convinced that "IQ" is something that has been accurately quantified or even fully defined.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:04 am

Adjudicator wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. Even Isaac Newton... an IQ of 190, based on.... what? Someone's estimation based on his influence on science? It's a total joke.

Also, apparently after 160, they decided measuring IQs by ones was a waste, and jumped straight to increments of five.

Oh, and he lists Nixon's IQ differently in two separate areas. :roll:

Chimica

Postby Chimica » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:14 pm

Adjudicator wrote:I'm not even convinced that "IQ" is something that has been accurately quantified or even fully defined.

The Mismeasure of Man goes into the racial, social, cultural and gender based biases in IQ tests throughout history. To start with, one needs to literate to take the vast majority of IQ tests, which is a pretty large cultural bias.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:33 pm

Shmuckluk wrote:http://www.archure.net/psychology/akrosintel.html

:lol: :lol: :lol:

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:48 pm

albusdumbledore wrote:It's irrelevant. The only geniuses in this situation are the ones taking your money.

EXACTLY

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:59 pm

Nightrunner wrote:"I would join a schizophrenic group, if they would let me. Those people are fascinating."

+1

SentinelsOfEvil

Postby SentinelsOfEvil » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:29 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:"I would join a schizophrenic group, if they would let me. Those people are fascinating."

+1

+1

58932ugahoige

Postby 58932ugahoige » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:34 pm

IQ is an interesting measure, but it is by no means perfect. There are a whole bunch of cultural biases to it, different ideas of what constitutes IQ, and it is well recognized that IQ is not a good measure of ability; it also can't predict future success.

As for the historical figures, there is a book which attempts to objectively list the IQ's of historical figures by looking at some of the writings, and also information about their youth. The author mostly lists prodigies, then compare their reported early development to the early development of modern prodigies. As a consequence, most of the IQ's you see there are ratio IQ's, not deviation IQ's; ratio IQ's do not fit the bell curve model, and are typically higher than deviation IQ's, which is what most of society uses today when discussing IQ.

albusdumbledore

Postby albusdumbledore » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:39 pm

Mensa Founder wrote:I've got this great effing idea. Let's make this club where we tell a bunch of people that already think they're special that they are, in fact, special. And let's make them pay us to do it.

lolschool2011

Postby lolschool2011 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:51 pm

albusdumbledore wrote:
Mensa Founder wrote:I've got this great effing idea. Let's make this club where we tell a bunch of people that already think they're special that they are, in fact, special. And let's make them pay us to do it.

Too late - law school already has this market covered.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:24 pm

There is no reason to be impressed about your LSAT or IQ because if you are so smart you should be accomplished. If someone tells me they have a 150 IQ (which I don't believe, these people gun IQ like TLS guns the LSAT), I just think about why they haven't accomplished anything.

The misunderstood genius is bullshit. It's a bunch of unmotivated weridos who have no real world skills.

Being in Mensa is admitting you are a failure.

lolschool2011

Postby lolschool2011 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:There is no reason to be impressed about your LSAT or IQ because if you are so smart you should be accomplished. If someone tells me they have a 150 IQ (which I don't believe, these people gun IQ like TLS guns the LSAT), I just think about why they haven't accomplished anything.

The misunderstood genius is bullshit. It's a bunch of unmotivated weridos who have no real world skills.

Being in Mensa is admitting you are a failure.

I don't even believe in the way the term "genius" is commonly applied nor do I think intelligence is a notion that can be applied generally without specific contexts. If some socially inept, inbalanced weirdo locks himself in a closet for 30 years attempting to solve a mathmatical problem, and perhaps finally does, would that represent "genius" relatively speaking, over the majority of other human beings who have lived over the course of the last thousands of years? Ridiculous.

We all have capacities, and true "genius," IMO, is found in people that apply their will towards functioning, learning, and creating as close to the limits of their capacities as possible. In other words, I think it's brilliant to reach whatever your potential is. Wasting potential is dumb.

Canadiana

Postby Canadiana » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:46 am

Holy shit, that site might just be the nirvana of douchiness. I thought such a thing was a myth, like El Dorado.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”