LSAT Scores and High IQ societies Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
58932ugahoige

New

LSAT Scores and High IQ societies

Post by 58932ugahoige » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:19 pm

The poetic genius society accepts a 139 IQ or a 174 LSAT score--both the 99.5th percentile.

This seems flawed to me, as the 139 IQ is the 99.5th percentile of the population, whereas the 174 LSAT is the 99.5th percentile of test takers; test takers are not representative of the population. Or have I been confused about this all along, and the LSAT is equated to the general population? Is that even possible?

albusdumbledore

Silver

Re: LSAT Scores and High IQ societies

Post by albusdumbledore » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:21 pm

It's irrelevant. The only geniuses in this situation are the ones taking your money.

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:21 pm

Shmuckluk wrote:The poetic genius society accepts a 139 IQ or a 174 LSAT score--both the 99.5th percentile.

This seems flawed to me, as the 139 IQ is the 99.5th percentile of the population, whereas the 174 LSAT is the 99.5th percentile of test takers; test takers are not representative of the population. Or have I been confused about this all along, and the LSAT is equated to the general population? Is that even possible?
LSAT is highly learnable, IQ is not, so of course it's not a perfect correlation between the two. They only accept the LSAT as a gimmick to increase the number of members and therefore, annual dues and brand eminence. Mensa does the same thing. It's a waste of time.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:22 pm

Shmuckluk wrote:The poetic genius society accepts a 139 IQ or a 174 LSAT score--both the 99.5th percentile.

Saweet.. I can just join that shit with my highest... Only its not 99.5 its 99.2. You would need 176 for 99.5 I think.

58932ugahoige

New

Post by 58932ugahoige » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:25 pm

Oh, my bad.

Yeah, it just seemed like a really dumb measure. My IQ is above the 139, but my test score was a bit below it. I wasn't sure how they randomly picked the LSAT number, as it doesn't seem accurate.

Your points make sense.

And no, I don't plan on joining any of those groups, I think they are silliness.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

amonynous_ivdinidual

New

Post by amonynous_ivdinidual » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:28 pm

and the truth of this thread comes out. somebody wanted the world to know (s)he is a genius even if the LSAT disagrees. get a LIFE.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:31 pm

Stuff like this is just obnoxious. No one gives a shit what your IQ or LSAT score was....

58932ugahoige

New

Post by 58932ugahoige » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:05 pm

Get bent. That wasn't my point.

I bet both of you bombed the reading comprehension section.

I said: "Or have I been confused about this all along, and the LSAT is equated to the general population?" because my IQ and LSAT percentiles did not line up, but high-IQ societies do use LSAT's and IQ's at similar numbers. My question was about whether LSAT's percentiles apply to test takers or to the general population.

Morons.

Edit: I'd also like to point out the irony of saying "no one cares about your LSAT score" on a forum devoted to LSAT scores, studying, prep, etc.
You're really good at this.

BrownBears09

Bronze

Post by BrownBears09 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:10 pm

Shmuckluk wrote:Get bent. That wasn't my point.

I said: "Or have I been confused about this all along, and the LSAT is equated to the general population?" because my IQ and LSAT percentiles did not line up, but high-IQ societies do use LSAT's and IQ's at similar numbers. My question was about whether LSAT's percentiles apply to test takers or to the general population.

Morons.

Edit: I'd also like to point out the irony of saying "no one cares about your LSAT score" on a forum devoted to LSAT scores, studying, prep, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:15 pm

Shmuckluk wrote: My IQ is above the 139

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:32 pm

Shmuckluk wrote:I'm smart! Smarter than all you morons! Ha! Ha ha!

P.S. Something ironic. Snide remark.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:35 pm

Anyone who joins a high iq society is a retard, either intellectually or socially or both.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:35 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Shmuckluk wrote: My IQ is above the 139
lulz

how do you find that shit?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:38 pm

One of the girls on my hall in college joined Mensa (for the dating prospects :roll: ) via her LSAT score. FTR, it's 95th percentile on your given administration.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:39 pm

robotclubmember wrote:

LSAT is highly learnable, IQ is not, so of course it's not a perfect correlation between the two. They only accept the LSAT as a gimmick to increase the number of members and therefore, annual dues and brand eminence. Mensa does the same thing. It's a waste of time.
Actually, I think IQ test performance is learnable and have some experiences that are consistent with that. Especially if someone studied as much for an IQ test as for LSAT I think they could show major improvement (and I think the super high IQ scorers at least in some circumstances have seriously studied).

In response to original question, that is correct that at least hypothetically it is much harder to be 99.5%tile among LSAT takers than 99.5%tile among IQ scorers because IQ is measured in terms of general population (at least hypothetically) whereas LSAT percentiles are measured in terms of law school applicants (probably not unwarranted to assume that LSAT takers are on the whole a more intellectually capable group than general public since they are all college graduates or about to be).

Although I think the whole IQ focus has dubious elements and may be an unhealthy thing in general to get to caught up with, I do think it can provide interesting questions and answers. I personally believe that anyone who scores a 180 on the LSAT is a qualified genius (by definition of 145+ IQ), but it wouldn't be the first time I've been laughed at on here if someone wants to mock that idea. Actually 180s are 1/6000 rarity, whereas IQ 145 is 1/1000 rarity on 15 point SD scale. As OP suggested in his question, even a 174 likely indicates an equivalency of at least 139+ IQ, Not a big jump of logic since a 145 IQ by definition occurs 1:1000 people in the general public, and that includes people who are not college educated. 99.5%tile on LSAT means 5 out of 1000 people, and those people are all college-educated. I think 139 occurs quite a bit more commonly that 5/1000 in general population, so assuming it is likely that a 174 scorer would test at 139 IQ or higher probably isn't a big jump IMO (though there are certainly individual exceptions).

The above being said, LSAT isn't designed to measure IQ. However, I think it is safe to say the highest scorers (175+) tend to have IQs at or above 140.

Canadiana

New

Post by Canadiana » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:25 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:One of the girls on my hall in college joined Mensa (for the dating prospects :roll: ) via her LSAT score. FTR, it's 95th percentile on your given administration.
I didn't know Principal Skinner and the Comic Book Guy were such hot commodities :roll:

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:27 am

albusdumbledore wrote:It's irrelevant. The only geniuses in this situation are the ones taking your money.
TITCR

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:34 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:One of the girls on my hall in college joined Mensa (for the dating prospects :roll: ) via her LSAT score. FTR, it's 95th percentile on your given administration.
I lol'ed

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:48 am

Shmuckluk wrote:Get bent. That wasn't my point.

Morons.

Once again, I would like to say that no one gives a shit about your LSAT score. I care a lot about other people's scores, which is why I try to offer meaningful advice on these forums. But I don't care about anyone who would use the LSAT as a means to join some idiotic poetry club for "gifted people". Thanks for your compliment, I am really good at this.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:08 am

Canadiana wrote:
I didn't know Principal Skinner and the Comic Book Guy were such hot commodities :roll:
She was your stereotypical HYP geek with no social skills. I guess they were hot to her...

Chimica

New

Post by Chimica » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:21 am

IQ tests are also learnable. While avoiding studying something useful in second year, I devoted too much time to finding my IQ. When it wasn't as high as I felt appropriate, I kept taking tests till I got a value I was comfortable with.

edit: And high IQ societies are for useless people who don't have anything real to do with their lives.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:27 am

2011Law wrote:
albusdumbledore wrote:It's irrelevant. The only geniuses in this situation are the ones taking your money.
TITCR
+1^10000

58932ugahoige

New

Post by 58932ugahoige » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:10 am

Lawquacious wrote: whereas LSAT percentiles are measured in terms of law school applicants
That basically answers my question, thanks. So the high-IQ societies are likely harder to get into with an LSAT score than an IQ score. Nifty.

And once again, no, I'm not trying to join one. I have an academic interest in learning, intelligence and memory. I used to be a psych major before I realized I hated research and switched over to law. Not that it matters; this is an internet forum.

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:15 am

I automatically qualify for MENSA with my LSAT score but I have yet to discover a good reason to join. There are even membership dues. So I am supposed to pay them just for the privilege of being able to say that I am a member? When most people hear "card-carrying member of MENSA" as "gigantic stuck-up douche." Right or wrong, it's a matter of perception.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:16 am

Adjudicator wrote:I automatically qualify for MENSA with my LSAT score but I have yet to discover a good reason to join. There are even membership dues. So I am supposed to pay them just for the privilege of being able to say that I am a member? When most people hear "card-carrying member of MENSA" as "gigantic stuck-up douche." Right or wrong, it's a matter of perception.
It's definitely right to think they are douches.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”