Should I even try? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
easteur

New

Should I even try?

Post by easteur » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:46 pm

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to get some advice from people that know more about law schools than I do.
I just got back my December score - 158 and I am devastated.
I have a 4.0 GPA, work for a Big 4 public accounting firm. I am currently a senior but I am up for a manager in half a year (took me 4 years, while usually takes from 5 to 7 years for an average person). I am a CPA (crushed all 4 parts with very high scores). So I never thought of myself as a stupid and uncapable person (not super smart, but not stupid either).
I decided I wouldn't go to law school, unless I get in some top schools. But now with that score, is that even worth it to retake?
Thanks

glitter178

Silver

Re: Should I even try?

Post by glitter178 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:47 pm

easteur wrote:Hi everyone,
I just wanted to get some advice from people that know more about law schools than I do.
I have a 4.0 GPA, work for a Big 4 public accounting firm. I am currently a senior but I am up for a manager in half a year (took me 4 years, while usually takes from 5 to 7 years for an average person). I am a CPA (crushed all 4 parts with very high scores). So I never thought of myself as a stupid and uncapable person (not super smart, but not stupid either).
I decided I wouldn't go to law school, unless I get in some top schools. But now with that score, is that even worth it to retake?
Thanks
i got a 158 and retook it and got a 168. i am very pro-retaking.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:48 pm

It's worth a retake. But a better question is, is it worth for you to give up a great career in accounting for illusive dreams of making biglaw?

I think that score was God telling you to stick to what you are doing.

NYCLSATTutor

Bronze

Post by NYCLSATTutor » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:50 pm

Thanks
Whether it is worth re-taking depends on what you did to study for the last test and what you would do for the next time.

easteur

New

Post by easteur » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:50 pm

Ha, that's what I thought too, but I don't really like what I do. My favorite part IS dealing with law issues.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Shooter

Bronze

Post by Shooter » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:53 pm

Ragged wrote:It's worth a retake. But a better question is, is it worth for you to give up a great career in accounting for illusive dreams of making biglaw?

I think that score was God telling you to stick to what you are doing.
This is very credited, but with that moist little GPA you got goin' on I'd say retake.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:54 pm

Anything below 167 is a waste of that beautiful gpa.

If you really want to be a lawyer, retake.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:55 pm

Thanks

You are out of your mind if you keep pushing towards law school. Most law school types cannot even fathom being CPAs. They lack the capabilities and never set out on any kind of plan early enough in college to do it. But anyone can be a lawyer, at any time. Keep doing the CPA thing. If you still want to be a lawyer at age 40 then go to law school then. The fact that there are law grads who could not find firm work invariably employed in due diligence jobs at your firm should give you enough pause that it is a profession that is not very much in demand.

easteur

New

Post by easteur » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:20 pm

Whether it is worth re-taking depends on what you did to study for the last test and what you would do for the next time.

I took about 20PTs, studies the Bibles. I though I was ready.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYCLSATTutor

Bronze

Post by NYCLSATTutor » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:28 pm

easteur wrote:Whether it is worth re-taking depends on what you did to study for the last test and what you would do for the next time.

I took about 20PTs, studies the Bibles. I though I was ready.
So basically you could have done much, much more to study. So I would say a re-take is really whether you want to put in the time and effort to improve. Doing exceedingly well generally takes more than just taking 20 PT's and studying the Bibles.

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:31 pm

Thanks
Big Four CPA here also.

How much did you study?

easteur

New

Post by easteur » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:33 pm

robotclubmember wrote:
Thanks
Big Four CPA here also.

How much did you study?
About fourth month - 2-3 hours during work days and 8-10 hours on weekends. But it is public accounting - I work A LOT, so it is a challenge to find time.

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:36 pm

easteur wrote:
robotclubmember wrote:
Thanks
Big Four CPA here also.

How much did you study?
About fourth month - 2-3 hours during work days and 8-10 hours on weekends. But it is public accounting - I work A LOT, so it is a challenge to find time.
What materials did you use? PM me also if you want specific advice from one B4 to another.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fosterp

Bronze

Post by fosterp » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:47 pm

You should compare your average PT scores with your actual score to decide if you want to retake, and then consider how much studying you put forth. Three months is definitely a solid amount of time to get close to your max potential but I feel 6 months is needed for anyone to truly get the highest score they possibly can.

If you scores 4 or more below your PT average, or you feel like you could have studied better then go for a retake. On the other hand, if you score within your normal range and already studied your ass off then you might consider your options with that score in mind.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:48 pm

MrAnon wrote:
You are out of your mind if you keep pushing towards law school. Most law school types cannot even fathom being CPAs. They lack the capabilities and never set out on any kind of plan early enough in college to do it. But anyone can be a lawyer, at any time. Keep doing the CPA thing. If you still want to be a lawyer at age 40 then go to law school then. The fact that there are law grads who could not find firm work invariably employed in due diligence jobs at your firm should give you enough pause that it is a profession that is not very much in demand.
This is credited but waiting until you're 40 is an exaggeration. What you should wait for is legal hiring to pick up and apply then. I would retake and see what you do next time. Sometimes the LSAT just goes bad -- I made 1 mistake that cost me 6 questions.

yardsale

New

Post by yardsale » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:07 pm

It depends. If you've already considered what it means to go to law school and be an attorney, and law school is something you really really want, then of course - why wouldn't you retake? On the other hand, if you're happy with your current career, then you may want to ask yourself whether changing paths is worth it, especially considering the huge risk that law school has become. If you do retake, I'd make sure you have ample time to reach your potential, at least 4 months.

Something to keep in mind when searching these forums for advice is that you are not talking to a representative sample. I've been pretty shocked by some of the 'words of wisdom' I've seen here on TLS. The truth is only you can answer this question. If it is your dream to be a lawyer, then yes retake and let nothing get in your way. I'm two years out of undergrad and had a GPA much lower than yours, with a 2008 LSAT score of 162. I decided last year that law school was for me and that I wanted to attend a certain top 10 school. I applied myself and worked my ass off the past 6 months studying for the December LSAT and today I found out that I will be attending that school next fall. Point is - ANYTHING is possible. If you want it badly enough, it is always worth working for it. Results are never guaranteed, but your efforts will benefit you regardless. Don't let anyone on here tell you something isn't worth it or isn't possible.

With your amazing GPA (4.0?!?!) and solid work experience, it's my opinion that the 158 should not preclude you from getting in somewhere if you can significantly improve your score and write some knock-out personal statements.

Best of luck.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”