Need a lot of help

THE_U

Need a lot of help

Postby THE_U » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:39 pm

I just received my scored back yesterday and I totally bombed the test (144). I was never expecting to get anything that high, seeing as my best PT's were in the low 150's with the highest being a 153. Needless to say, I am taking a year off to study hard for the LSAT and retake.

LG is the section that really kills me and despite studying for the entire fall semester, I still could not manage to fully solve more than one or two games in a section. I've read through the LGB once and have went back to it numerous times. I feel like there are times I understand them and then I'll hit a game and just be like WTF. I'm obviously missing something but feel like I've studied them for so long that it should be clicking by now.

Does anyone have any ideas for someone like me who just cannot seem to grasp the LG's despite studying for months? I know that LG's are the most learnable part of the test and I feel like an idiot for not being able to learn these things. Like I said, I've tried the LGB and I've also had a private tutor from PS.

Also, what general strategy or routine should I follow for taking a year off and studying? Figure out LGs before I start doing PTs again? When should I even start studying again? etc. I feel helpless at this point so any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

stintez

Re: Need a lot of help

Postby stintez » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:43 pm

get a private tutor I used one from chi-town even though im in cincy and it brought my score up 10 points after i had already studied for four months by myself. He does it online, if you would like I can give you his contact info.

albanach

Postby albanach » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:44 pm

stintez wrote:get a private tutor I used one from chi-town even though im in cincy and it brought my score up 10 points after i had already studied for four months by myself. He does it online, if you would like I can give you his contact info.

Usually I'd reply to folk and say games can be learned through self study. In this case it looks like that route has been tried and failed. A tutor is the sensible move.

THE_U

Postby THE_U » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:49 pm

So maybe the tutor I had from Power Score just wasn't good? I thought he seemed good but I guess not. Like I said, I've tried the tutoring and self-study route.

stintez

Postby stintez » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:49 pm

ya maybe the tutor you had was bunk.

NYCLSATTutor

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:22 pm

THE_U wrote:I just received my scored back yesterday and I totally bombed the test (144). I was never expecting to get anything that high, seeing as my best PT's were in the low 150's with the highest being a 153. Needless to say, I am taking a year off to study hard for the LSAT and retake.

LG is the section that really kills me and despite studying for the entire fall semester, I still could not manage to fully solve more than one or two games in a section. I've read through the LGB once and have went back to it numerous times. I feel like there are times I understand them and then I'll hit a game and just be like WTF. I'm obviously missing something but feel like I've studied them for so long that it should be clicking by now.

Does anyone have any ideas for someone like me who just cannot seem to grasp the LG's despite studying for months? I know that LG's are the most learnable part of the test and I feel like an idiot for not being able to learn these things. Like I said, I've tried the LGB and I've also had a private tutor from PS.

Also, what general strategy or routine should I follow for taking a year off and studying? Figure out LGs before I start doing PTs again? When should I even start studying again? etc. I feel helpless at this point so any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

It sounds like you are looking at the games from the wrong perspective. The games are, to an extent, formulaic, but you really need to be flexible with them as well. Games (at least in practice) that make you go WTF are good because they make you figure out a way of doing them on your own. If the December games destroyed you, don't feel bad, they destroyed most people. But it is these type of games that can allow you to really learn well how to be flexible when any type of game comes your way.

As for studying for a year, I would recommend a few things. Try and take a logic course. Start reading philosophy. Start learning how to argue and debate things in a logical way, and try to learn a new way of thinking. The LSAT is not impossible, they are mostly just testing a few particular skills. But what you need to keep in mind is that they are exactly that: Skills. They can be improved upon, but the best way of improving them is improving the skills themselves, not necessarily only looking at how these skills interact with the test itself. If you are doing long-term study you really, really don't want to focus only on the LSAT, instead you need to focus on things that will improve the skills you need to do well on the test.

Also, try to find a tutor who has worked with long-term students before. If you are interested, I can probably work with you, or I would try to find someone in your area. I would recommend NOT going through a company since companies are generally more strict about how their tutors must teach and they require their tutors to teach certain methods. These methods, clearly, didn't work for you and so you need something more unconventional. A private, independent tutor is probably your best bet.

Best of luck and feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:35 pm

stintez wrote:ya maybe the tutor you had was bunk.

PS only hires tutors that were in the 99th percentile. 99th. They clearly know the material inside and out. The book is solid too, and most people on the forum swear by it, myself included. Perhaps the tutor's style could use improvement, but his knowledge is indisputably high.

I agree with NYCLSATTutor's comment on perspective. Many people, at first try to reduce every game to a formula, and try to read LG books as if looking for a repeatable solution that could be applied to any logic game, rather than a framework to help make you flexible. I would say that you need to understand there are theories you can consistently apply to solving a logic game, it is by no means a defined formula like, y=mx+b, for example. That formula is immutable. Every LG is different. Flexibility is required. If you want a little bit of practice to sharpen your deduction and inference abilities, take a little time off and just do some sudoku before you begin studying again. You need a break from all that work, first of all. Then get back to the logic games. Pick up Manhattan's LG book, and maybe the Ace the LSAT LG book as well, so that you have competing theories. This will show you that there are many different ways to solve the same problems, and will give you more tools so that you are more flexible when encountering a WTF type of problem.

Not everyone on this forum is a genius. I probably studied 300 hours just for a 171. There are people here who study like a dog for a year to get a 180. There are people who study 300 hours just to break 160. There are your odd birds who can get a 171 cold with no studying, of course, but most of us just worked our asses off. There's still room for improvement so don't worry about it too much, but be prepared to work like a dog.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”