lsat logistics question

quaskx

lsat logistics question

Postby quaskx » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:06 am

I'm taking the lsat tomorrow (it's a make up administration because my test center cancelled the december one). I know we're not supposed to bring our cellphones into the testing room but I'm taking a bus to the testing center so I don't have a car to put it in. Anyone else had this problem before? How did you deal with it? Sorry if this is a silly question but help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jeffort

Re: lsat logistics question

Postby Jeffort » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:11 am

quaskx wrote:I'm taking the lsat tomorrow (it's a make up administration because my test center cancelled the december one). I know we're not supposed to bring our cellphones into the testing room but I'm taking a bus to the testing center so I don't have a car to put it in. Anyone else had this problem before? How did you deal with it? Sorry if this is a silly question but help would be appreciated. Thanks.

You cannot bring it into the test facility, that's certain. Some people have reported that they put it into a plastic bag and stashed it in the bushes outside somewhere before getting in the check-in line.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:15 am

Above is the official answer. If you have it off you should be ok. Just don't touch it during the test. If you can, leave it in you jacket and take it off. If it falls out of you pocket or something it could really screw you with an irregularity on the test.

amorfati

Postby amorfati » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:17 am

I'd beg to differ - in my two LSAT experiences (at two different sites), they really did not check. I saw lots of people openly displaying their cell phones outside the testing room prior to the test, and most of us just stashed them in our coat pockets (on silent of course). At my first administration, I actually also had a fairly big bag with me because I had had to stay in a hotel the night before. They actually let me stash it in a nearby office during the test.

Postby 2014 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:35 am

They won't likely check, so if you bring it in know that you are taking a risk and make sure to be safe. I would put the battery and the phone in separate pockets and leave it in your jacket that you have placed on the back of your chair.

If you don't want the risk, you need to hide it somewhere, which is what my testing center actually encouraged us to do. You will likely be taking it in a building with multiple rooms, just put it in a random classroom or something.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:42 am

amorfati wrote:I'd beg to differ - in my two LSAT experiences (at two different sites), they really did not check. I saw lots of people openly displaying their cell phones outside the testing room prior to the test, and most of us just stashed them in our coat pockets (on silent of course). At my first administration, I actually also had a fairly big bag with me because I had had to stay in a hotel the night before. They actually let me stash it in a nearby office during the test.

Just because some people have managed to smuggle a phone in and not get caught does not make it ok to do so. Putting it on silent and stashing it in a jacket pocket or wherever is still a rule violation.

The real question is: Why can't people seem to function or survive without a cell phone for half of a day? Are the facebook status updates and twitter feeds really that important that they can't wait until you get back home?

I see no reason why anybody needs to bring a cell phone, iPhone, 4G3z256superduper device or whatever with them to the test center. Leave it at home.

The 'I need to bring my phone to the test center to call for a ride or in case of emergency' excuse is super lame. You can arrange for a ride ahead of time and if taking the bus, print out bus schedules and maps ahead of time to get home after the test. If a real emergency occurs like having a heart attack or something, there are plenty of people around to take notice and call an ambulance.

zonto

Postby zonto » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:02 pm

Just bring your cell phone, turn it off, and explain your situation to your proctor. Ours gathered a couple, watched them get turned all the way off, and then left them out on the front table so he could monitor them.

Proctors are people and will understand your situation if you are nice about it.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:12 pm

I wish that were the case, but see this:

--LinkRemoved--

They enforced the rules strictly (kicked out a student who had a cell phone in her ziplock back [sic].)

Also, at Columbia University, the proctors once asked for anyone with a cell phone to come forward, then kicked out all of those people. They can be pretty serious about the rules.

verklempt

Postby verklempt » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:02 pm

There was no metal detector and no one was searched at my test center. In fact, no one even looked at my ziploc bag. I was so paranoid that I didn't even put in lip gloss for fear it wouldn't meet the "health and medical" standards (a comb would have helped too, as I was literally pulling my hair out during the test).

There are plenty of ways to cheat the system, if you are so inclined. But the LSAC rules are kind of like TSA, mainly an issue for honest people. Why you could not bring a turned-off cell phone I do not know. I saw no phones in my testing facility (no more payphones anywhere!) and there were people who were expecting to be picked up by a parent or friend. Who presumably had to sit in the parking lot for a few hours. .

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:09 pm

verklempt wrote:There was no metal detector and no one was searched at my test center. In fact, no one even looked at my ziploc bag. I was so paranoid that I didn't even put in lip gloss for fear it wouldn't meet the "health and medical" standards (a comb would have helped too, as I was literally pulling my hair out during the test).

There are plenty of ways to cheat the system, if you are so inclined. But the LSAC rules are kind of like TSA, mainly an issue for honest people. Why you could not bring a turned-off cell phone I do not know. I saw no phones in my testing facility (no more payphones anywhere!) and there were people who were expecting to be picked up by a parent or friend. Who presumably had to sit in the parking lot for a few hours. .

I think the point of no phone is that there is no question as to whether you were using your phone during the test since if they see it or hear it they kick you out. It is more an extra precaution so that you don't use it to cheat in any way that because they really don't want you to use it. Mine told us to make sure they were off. But I only had a 15 min walk so I didn't bring mine.

LSATSecurity

Postby LSATSecurity » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:01 pm

Check your admission ticket and the certification ALL test takers must sign and adhere to. It is extremely clear on this policy.

An excerpt:

"I certify that I am not bringing into the test center a cell phone or other prohibited items."

Regardless of the intention of its use, all cell phones are strictly prohibited from the test center and as such will warrant a dismissal or non-admittance to the test if discovered to have one in your posession.

rachellynne

Postby rachellynne » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:57 pm

zonto wrote:Just bring your cell phone, turn it off, and explain your situation to your proctor. Ours gathered a couple, watched them get turned all the way off, and then left them out on the front table so he could monitor them.

Proctors are people and will understand your situation if you are nice about it.

This. Do it before you even sign in. Explain you don't have a car and ask the proctors if they can lock it in another office or something.

verklempt

Postby verklempt » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:15 pm

They don't want cell phones ringing during the test. I get that. But seriously, are you going to be calling people during the test to ask them for answers? No more than you are going to be asking the person next to you for help.

At my kid's school, they used to confiscate cell phones on sight. Then they came to realize how extraordinarily convenient the phones are for parents, for example, if the kid gets off at the wrong bus stop or wants to visit a friend after school. When you all were in first grade, you didn't have a phone, but kids now do. And the school is ok with it as long as the phone stays off and in the backpack.

Why can't LSAC do the same?

On the other hand, I don't remember seeing anything about wearing perfume or other strong scent on test day. I am sensitive to odors and was worried about that. Fortunately, there were no stinky people around me, or I could have had a massive headache before we even began section I. How about banning perfume, LSAC? And let us keep our phones!

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:26 pm

verklempt wrote:They don't want cell phones ringing during the test. I get that. But seriously, are you going to be calling people during the test to ask them for answers? No more than you are going to be asking the person next to you for help.

At my kid's school, they used to confiscate cell phones on sight. Then they came to realize how extraordinarily convenient the phones are for parents, for example, if the kid gets off at the wrong bus stop or wants to visit a friend after school. When you all were in first grade, you didn't have a phone, but kids now do. And the school is ok with it as long as the phone stays off and in the backpack.

On the other hand, I don't remember seeing anything about wearing perfume or other strong scent on test day. I am sensitive to odors and was worried about that. Fortunately, there were no stinky people around me, or I could have had a massive headache before we even began section I. How about banning perfume, LSAC? And let us keep our phones!

If you keep it off and in you coat, then there is no way it will be an issue... just like at your kid's school.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:48 pm

The first time I took the LSAT the proctor asked if anyone had a cell phone and, if so, to turn them off and bring them to the front. Over HALF of the people there came up and deposited their cell phone. I was a little shocked, because really? did they not read the rules at all? after all that preparation? But the proctor didn't mind at all and gave everyone their cell phones back after the test.

Similar situation for my retake.

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:06 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:I wish that were the case, but see this:

--LinkRemoved--

They enforced the rules strictly (kicked out a student who had a cell phone in her ziplock back [sic].)

Also, at Columbia University, the proctors once asked for anyone with a cell phone to come forward, then kicked out all of those people. They can be pretty serious about the rules.

ha ha that is pretty harsh.

honestly though if your phone is off and stays in your pocket then you should be fine. Its not like they pat people down or search them. I would just leave it at home though.

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:12 pm

verklempt wrote:They don't want cell phones ringing during the test. I get that. But seriously, are you going to be calling people during the test to ask them for answers? No more than you are going to be asking the person next to you for help.

Imagine this situation. You suck at the LSAT so you come up with an elaborate scheme to cheat. You hire a genius on the east coast to take the LSAT while you sign up to take the test on the west coast. You download an app to your phone that will cause it to vibrate in a certain manner based on the content of a text message. Your friend on the east coast, upon receiving the test booklet just takes it and then just gets up and leave, does the test on his own, and begins texting you the answers when the test begins on the west coast, and the vibration in your pocket tells you what the answers will be.

Of course, this might have to be a little more elaborate but I just made it up now. But that's reason enough to ban cell phones entirely.

verklempt

Postby verklempt » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:20 pm

fosterp wrote:
Imagine this situation. You suck at the LSAT so you come up with an elaborate scheme to cheat. You hire a genius on the east coast to take the LSAT while you sign up to take the test on the west coast. You download an app to your phone that will cause it to vibrate in a certain manner based on the content of a text message. Your friend on the east coast, upon receiving the test booklet just takes it and then just gets up and leave, does the test on his own, and begins texting you the answers when the test begins on the west coast, and the vibration in your pocket tells you what the answers will be.

Of course, this might have to be a little more elaborate but I just made it up now. But that's reason enough to ban cell phones entirely.

Even better, I hire the genius to photograph the test pages using a tiny camera embedded in a shirt button (thank you, nanotech!) and then transmit the pages to me via email so I can review the test three hours before I take it. No cell phone needed.

Even better: I'd send the genius my birth certificate and ask him to go to the east coast DMV and get a driver's license with my name and his picture.

Or...I take the test in the same room as the genius, and we communicate via elaborate hand signals.

If I'm going to cheat, I'm not going to use a cell phone, any more than I'm going to put explosives in my shoes if I want to hijack an airplane. The ban on cell phones is mostly just a meaningless annoyance, or worse for those of us who rely on them as comfort objects.

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:02 pm

rachellynne wrote:
zonto wrote:Just bring your cell phone, turn it off, and explain your situation to your proctor. Ours gathered a couple, watched them get turned all the way off, and then left them out on the front table so he could monitor them.

This. Do it before you even sign in. Explain you don't have a car and ask the proctors if they can lock it in another office or something.

don't do this. i read on this board about how someone got an irregularity for doing exactly this..

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”