Take a year off or retake in February

Columbia11

Take a year off or retake in February

Postby Columbia11 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:33 am

146- December LSAT. I have a 3.83 GPA. I did three months worth or prepping. Should I retake in February or take a year off to study for the LSAT? Also, do I even have enough time to prep for Feb?

kitmitzi

Re: Take a year off or retake in February

Postby kitmitzi » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:35 am

Year off. Definitely. Focus on maintaining your high GPA instead of rushing to prep for February and potentially getting a score that still can't get you into your favorites. Plus applying in February would be sooo late for this cycle. Many schools don't even take February scores.

Columbia11

Postby Columbia11 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:38 am

I just can't imagine prepping for a year without burning out.

mls_1

Postby mls_1 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:38 am

my situation is somehow like yours, (or worse)

I'm going to retake in Feb cuz I don't feel I can afford another year study LSAT or do something else. I was taking the Dec test under clinic depression and medicines, so I figured after the treatment, it would be easier for me to deal with the test. Plus, I'd rather study for this very hard than struggling for another year. If you're taking the Feb test, just find out those schools that take the Feb score and send out applications and let them know that you're taking the test. It will be OK.

Postby 2014 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:41 am

Take a small break and start prepping for June. Applying after the Feb. test is a bad call all around.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:22 pm

Columbia11 wrote:I just can't imagine prepping for a year without burning out.

Don't prep for a year, prep for half a year and write the exam in June. This may just be a TLS mentality, but if you can't spend half a year studying an hour or two a day for a test, then you may struggle in law school.

You will have worked four years for the GPA when you graduate. Anytime a four hour test is weighted to be the equivalent of a four-year degree in admissions, you should probably take that test pretty seriously. Due diligence is necessitated. Don't cheat yourself out of a GPA you worked long and hard for by completely negating it because you didn't want to put a few hours into a test. Just put in the work and apply early next cycle, and then thank us for the sound advice later.

Columbia11

Postby Columbia11 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:28 pm

Thank you so much for the advice. I will start prepping next Monday. I sent a few applications out last week, do you think that will hurt my chances when I apply again.
robotclubmember wrote:
Columbia11 wrote:I just can't imagine prepping for a year without burning out.

Don't prep for a year, prep for half a year and write the exam in June. This may just be a TLS mentality, but if you can't spend half a year studying an hour or two a day for a test, then you may struggle in law school.

You will have worked four years for the GPA when you graduate. Anytime a four hour test is weighted to be the equivalent of a four-year degree in admissions, you should probably take that test pretty seriously. Due diligence is necessitated. Don't cheat yourself out of a GPA you worked long and hard for by completely negating it because you didn't want to put a few hours into a test. Just put in the work and apply early next cycle, and then thank us for the sound advice later.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:37 pm

take the rest of the month off, and start prepping for june in February. Dont look at anytihng for the rest of the month, just go out to amazon and get your materials and then enjoy life for a while. After the superbowl, start your prep. You will hve feb, march, april, may and first week in june to get ready. You need a break, and once its done- hit the books hard. If you are a senior, you may want to enjoy your last semester and thik about prepping over the summer for october. while it will be much harder to stay motivated during the summer months, if you can balance work and prep- you will be able to enjoy the fantasticnaticy ( made that word up) of undergrad college life for the last few weeks that you still have it. Or combine the two and hit the books harder over the summer.

good luck

Columbia11

Postby Columbia11 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:44 pm

Thank you so much for the advice. I should be able to handle 3 to 4 hours a day of lsat studying, I hope so.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:53 pm

Columbia11 wrote:Thank you so much for the advice. I will start prepping next Monday. I sent a few applications out last week, do you think that will hurt my chances when I apply again.

FWIW, that GPA opens up any doors potentially from the very bottom up to the very top. Some on this forum would contemplate chopping off a teste for it. The only variable left is the LSAT. There are plenty of guides on this site. There are also users on this forum who have gone from the 140's to the low 170 range. Imagine what a 3.83/170 could do for you? Even a 3.83/168 can break you into T14 without too much sweat. Even a 160 can get you into T1 schools with very good scholarship money. The LSAT score isn't just about where you go, but how much you pay too.

Think about what a great investment it is, personally and financially, to prep well for the LSAT. If you spend 250 hours prepping for the LSAT, you could totally get into the 160+ range. Now let's say that that gets you into the exact same school you would have with a 146 but with a scholarship of $20K/year (which is a very a conservative estimate). $60,000K for 250 hours of work? That means every hour of prep you put in saves you $240 in tuition. That's a hell of a deal. If it sounds like I'm being rosy, I'm not, in fact that's prob a conservative estimate. Or, conversely, you could pay sticker at a much better school and then still, you have far superior career prospects and you're making more money throughout the rest of your life. The LSAT is at a minimum a third of your application, and at a maximum weighted for more than half at some schools. Too important to skimp. Prepping adequately will be one of the best (though most tedious) investments you've ever made. Here, watch this for inspiration, lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6wRkzCW5qI

That said, I agree with Northwood. Take some time off and just conceptualize what you want to do, get your bearings in order and get motivated. You'll be in a good position to get apps in nice and early next year. 20 hours of prep a week, split between different days, should be more than enough once you get started. Just like working out, you need rest days when prepping for the LSAT.

Columbia11

Postby Columbia11 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:45 pm

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I will not give up, and I will accomplish all my goals.

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:09 pm

robotclubmember wrote:
Columbia11 wrote:Thank you so much for the advice. I will start prepping next Monday. I sent a few applications out last week, do you think that will hurt my chances when I apply again.

FWIW, that GPA opens up any doors potentially from the very bottom up to the very top. Some on this forum would contemplate chopping off a teste for it. The only variable left is the LSAT. There are plenty of guides on this site. There are also users on this forum who have gone from the 140's to the low 170 range. Imagine what a 3.83/170 could do for you? Even a 3.83/168 can break you into T14 without too much sweat. Even a 160 can get you into T1 schools with very good scholarship money. The LSAT score isn't just about where you go, but how much you pay too.

Think about what a great investment it is, personally and financially, to prep well for the LSAT. If you spend 250 hours prepping for the LSAT, you could totally get into the 160+ range. Now let's say that that gets you into the exact same school you would have with a 146 but with a scholarship of $20K/year (which is a very a conservative estimate). $60,000K for 250 hours of work? That means every hour of prep you put in saves you $240 in tuition. That's a hell of a deal. If it sounds like I'm being rosy, I'm not, in fact that's prob a conservative estimate. Or, conversely, you could pay sticker at a much better school and then still, you have far superior career prospects and you're making more money throughout the rest of your life. The LSAT is at a minimum a third of your application, and at a maximum weighted for more than half at some schools. Too important to skimp. Prepping adequately will be one of the best (though most tedious) investments you've ever made. Here, watch this for inspiration, lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6wRkzCW5qI

That said, I agree with Northwood. Take some time off and just conceptualize what you want to do, get your bearings in order and get motivated. You'll be in a good position to get apps in nice and early next year. 20 hours of prep a week, split between different days, should be more than enough once you get started. Just like working out, you need rest days when prepping for the LSAT.

I'd happily give a nut for OP's GPA.

Hell, I'd give a kidney too.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:36 am

Columbia11 wrote:146- December LSAT. I have a 3.83 GPA. I did three months worth or prepping. Should I retake in February or take a year off to study for the LSAT?

Take a year off. The February test's score release date is after the deadline for most schools. You will be needlessly precluding yourself from otherwise acceptances or scholarships if you score well on the LSAT during your retake.

Columbia11 wrote: Also, do I even have enough time to prep for Feb?

No, if you studied for 3 months and managed a 146, it is unlikely, if not impossible, you'll be able to score decently with the time left to prep for February.

Bless

Postby Bless » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:39 am

Take a year off. The economy is in the shitter, so you're not really missing out on anything. Best decision I ever made. I improved my LSAT score and no longer feel burn-out from school. You'll go into law school with a full head of steam. Good luck.

asaini

Postby asaini » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:55 pm

The initial post and the replies are guiding me a lot for the past few days.

I am in a similar position (143 on Dec LSAT and a GPA of 3.8 and still have some courses left to complete my degree). I started studying in the end of October through PowerScore. I guess I did not got enough time to sit back and conceptualize the ideas.

I have two days to decide if I want to go for Feb LSAT. I am feeling anxious because I don't want to miss out another year, I will be 29 this year (the age pressure), but on the other hand after reading the replies here, it is becoming clear that it would be unlikely that I push my scores high to 160+ range with a 32 hour a week job on my hand in the next 4-5 weeks.

Any final thoughts or word of advice?

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:03 pm

asaini wrote:The initial post and the replies are guiding me a lot for the past few days.

I am in a similar position (143 on Dec LSAT and a GPA of 3.8 and still have some courses left to complete my degree). I started studying in the end of October through PowerScore. I guess I did not got enough time to sit back and conceptualize the ideas.

I have two days to decide if I want to go for Feb LSAT. I am feeling anxious because I don't want to miss out another year, I will be 29 this year (the age pressure), but on the other hand after reading the replies here, it is becoming clear that it would be unlikely that I push my scores high to 160+ range with a 32 hour a week job on my hand in the next 4-5 weeks.

Wait another year. The bolded indicates the the main reason why. I'm pretty sure being 29 and waiting another cycle is not ideal, and may seem like another year wasted. However, trust me when I say waiting another year, adequately preparing for the LSAT, and getting accepted to a higher ranked school with potential scholarship money will be worth it by far in the long run. Good luck to you if you decide to go either way.

asaini

Postby asaini » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:37 pm

KevinP wrote:
asaini wrote:The initial post and the replies are guiding me a lot for the past few days.

Wait another year. The bolded indicates the the main reason why. I'm pretty sure being 29 and waiting another cycle is not ideal, and may seem like another year wasted. However, trust me when I say waiting another year, adequately preparing for the LSAT, and getting accepted to a higher ranked school with potential scholarship money will be worth it by far in the long run. Good luck to you if you decide to go either way.

Thank you.

lackadaisy

Postby lackadaisy » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:41 pm

To the OP: from your username, it looks like you're a college senior (like me), you have plenty of time. One of the open secrets about law school is that lack of work experience is a huge handicap in on-campus recruiting -- just because you can get into a school now doesn't mean you should go, & especially if you can't get into a 'worthwhile' one (meaning worth the debt), take the time to work at a nonprofit or as a paralegal and retake in June or October 2011.

I'm facing the opposite split -- lower GPA, higher LSAT -- and waiting as well, to perhaps raise my GPA, write a good thesis, gain work experience, and do my entire application cycle in one or two years.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”