So. Crushed.

Peg

So. Crushed.

Postby Peg » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:01 am

I was so confident and happy during the test. No one section felt particularly difficult. I came out certain - CERTAIN beyond belief - that I'd broken 170, maybe even gotten 175.

I got a 169. I know that's not a terrible score - but with my bad GPA, it's like a death sentence.

And now, with my low GPA (3.1) I have no idea what my chances are anymore. I don't know what kind of amazing PS would get me into the bottom T14. I know that people get into the good schools even if they have low numbers sometimes...for the benefit of me and other unhappy souls on TLS, could we get any advice about what sort of stuff needs to be a in killer PS for a candidate with low numbers to get into GW, GULC, Cornell or anything in the higher T20? Specifically:

- What kind of experiences do they want you to bring out in your PS?
- What kind of tone or attitude would resonate the most with ad comms
- What. Do. We. DO?!

If this sounds desperate, it's because it is desperate. I can't bear to think I might have to go to the University of Kansas or similar.

Also, I think I might be an atheist now.

Lawquacious

Re: So. Crushed.

Postby Lawquacious » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:09 am

Why don't you retake in Feb? I doubt you'll get T14 because of your GPA, but it might be worth a shot at lower T14. PS won't save you unless you have some truly exceptional softs.

Sorry to hear about your frustration, but welcome to the law school experience. At least for me it has involved plenty of frustration and upsets along the way. You'll still have a shot at some strong schools with that LSAT, but especially if you're set on T14 I would retake as many times as possible/necessary.

hscohen

Postby hscohen » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:54 am

Crying about a 169? Adamant about "needing" to go to G-Town / Cornell with a 3.1 GPA? What is this crap??

MrSparkle

Postby MrSparkle » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:58 am

If your average PT was 170+, I'd say retake and delay a year to apply. Really figure out if your LSAT could be higher...not just whether you lucked one PT into 170+, but if your average over 10+ tests was 170+, and if your preparation could be better in any way. Focusing 100% on it every day as a full time job could make a difference, if you didn't do that already.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:59 am

Sorry about this. Yea with that GPA you'll need something 3 or 4 points higher if you want T14. Just know that this is still a good score and means you are smart and definitly have what it takes to get mid/high 170s. Let at least this thought keep your confidance up while you study for a retake.
Last edited by Ragged on Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peg

Postby Peg » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:01 am

hscohen wrote:Crying about a 169? Adamant about "needing" to go to G-Town / Cornell with a 3.1 GPA? What is this crap??

I'm so terribly sorry I've offended you. Maybe when you've dreamed of something for six years and then see it fade away before you, you will also understand what this crap is.

Everyone else: Thanks for the encouragement and advice. I'm thinking of retaking to maybe get off waitlists in 2011, but I'm going to go ahead and send applications out now since it's already January 6th.

MTal

Postby MTal » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:03 am

You sound mentally unstable.

Peg

Postby Peg » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:03 am

MTal wrote:You sound mentally unstable.

Thank you, dear. You sound like a troll.

Bless

Postby Bless » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:20 am

Not to be a jerk, but you got a 169. Stop being a crybaby. Either retake, or stfu... and I mean that in the most genuine way possible. You will still get into a great school and end up having a fine career. Best of luck to you.

mcubberly

Postby mcubberly » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:27 am

Peg wrote:I was so confident and happy during the test. No one section felt particularly difficult. I came out certain - CERTAIN beyond belief - that I'd broken 170, maybe even gotten 175.

I got a 169. I know that's not a terrible score - but with my bad GPA, it's like a death sentence.

And now, with my low GPA (3.1) I have no idea what my chances are anymore. I don't know what kind of amazing PS would get me into the bottom T14. I know that people get into the good schools even if they have low numbers sometimes...for the benefit of me and other unhappy souls on TLS, could we get any advice about what sort of stuff needs to be a in killer PS for a candidate with low numbers to get into GW, GULC, Cornell or anything in the higher T20? Specifically:

- What kind of experiences do they want you to bring out in your PS?
- What kind of tone or attitude would resonate the most with ad comms
- What. Do. We. DO?!

If this sounds desperate, it's because it is desperate. I can't bear to think I might have to go to the University of Kansas or similar.

Also, I think I might be an atheist now.

I was with you until there, friend. I know it's frustrating, but you need to chill out a little. Retake-- if you study harder, you can definitely break 170. And if you don't, with the T14 or bust mentality (not saying it's bad, but it seems to be what you want), law school's not for you if you "can't bear" going to a lower one. With your GPA, and if you don't have some truly exceptional PS experiences (which you didn't mention, but I hope you do) it'll probably be tough to crack those with a 169. But you could still get into some good T1 schools, maybe with $$. Again, if you only want T14, retake. And chill.

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:31 am

You should have worked harder in school if this was your dream

Also, 169=death sentence? University of Kansas? You will probably be able to get in at some GREAT schools

Let me give you a hint---there are a LOT of people at schools like Fordham, Illinois, Temple etc that are doing SIGNIFICANTLY better in their career than the average T14 grad

Toughen up---life is harder than this small thing

hscohen

Postby hscohen » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:36 am

Bless wrote:Not to be a jerk, but you got a 169. Stop being a crybaby. Either retake, or stfu.

+1

Peg

Postby Peg » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:43 am

Fair enough, I did overreact. I'm sure my first post sounded obnoxious to people who scored 10+ below their PT average, while I only scored 3 points below mine. I guess this is how it sounds when you impulsively write out what your immediate reactions are to seeing your score without pausing to edit first.

As for not working hard during school, I did, but the GPA addendum thing is a whole 'nother story that's not relevant.

Longhorn88

Postby Longhorn88 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:46 am

Go to a Top50 school, maybe get some scholarship money.

If you do well there you'll be in better shape than the bottom feeders at T14. Do you really think firms see the bad students at Georgetown as better than the top students at Indiana or BC?

blhblahblah

Postby blhblahblah » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:48 am

Peg wrote:
hscohen wrote:Crying about a 169? Adamant about "needing" to go to G-Town / Cornell with a 3.1 GPA? What is this crap??

I'm so terribly sorry I've offended you. Maybe when you've dreamed of something for six years and then see it fade away before you, you will also understand what this crap is.

Everyone else: Thanks for the encouragement and advice. I'm thinking of retaking to maybe get off waitlists in 2011, but I'm going to go ahead and send applications out now since it's already January 6th.

The dream was over when you starting shitting all over your courses

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:58 am

blhblahblah wrote:
Peg wrote:

The dream was over when you starting shitting all over your courses

To be fair, that's sort of a good point. Did you have a very tough major (EE or the like?) or did you simply party too much? If that's the latter than maybe going to T14 wasn't really your dream untill you found TLS. But I do share your T14 or bust mentality.

Either way. Retake. get 173+, go to T14 next cycle.

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:59 am

Look, I'd be disappointed if I wound up with a 169, too. I have a GPA that is higher than yours, but not by a whole lot, and I've got my heart set on one particular T14 that seems to have a 170 LSAT floor. So if I got a 169, I'd be up the creek without a paddle and probably pretty sad about it. I get that.

But there's nothing you can do about the score you received on the December test. You got a 169. That's over and done with. There's no use obsessing over it or making it into something bigger than it is. It is a test. It's just a test. Even though it may feel like it, that number doesn't define you and it doesn't determine your entire life from here on out. Moaning and groaning isn't productive and it isn't going to help you score higher in the future.

Sure, cry a little. Be sad. Be pissed off. Be whatever. But then get rid of all of that crap and get back to work. Go over the test, analyze your mistakes, figure out where your weak spots were and how to improve upon them. Sign up for the June test, kick its' ass, and then apply for 2012. Apply early in the cycle. Apply ED. Whatever. It means taking a year off, but I've never heard anyone regret who did.

Fight, don't wallow.

Or, alternatively, make peace with your (very good) score and find a school where you think you could be happy that is within your GPA/LSAT range. I have a friend who went to what TLS considers a TTT school and she had two awesome DOJ offers when she graduated. T14 isn't everything.

You've got choices here. You're not powerless.

Just my 2 cents.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:48 am

You got a 169. STFU. Seriously, grow up.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:51 am

Peg wrote:

Is this your first MTal meeting? Enjoy.

LeBum James

Postby LeBum James » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:59 am

OP, I was crushed in Oct when I got a 167. Everyone has their own goals. I don't blame you for being upset. However, you're not getting into T14 now. If that's what you want, you're going to have to retake. With a 172+ someone in the T14 will take you on RD probably. ED if you want to be safe.

Also, as someone who went to the University of Kansas for undergrad, I am offended! The law school program sucks, sure, but we have the best basketball program in the nation! Haters gonna hate.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:09 am

Someone wrote the other day that there's no reason to not take the test up to three times since schools will most likely take the highest score. In addition, year of WE never hurts, assuming it would be something productive. -3 from your average PT is to be expected, though. Luck + mental toughness kind of determines whether you'll score -3, at average, +3, etc. People who score -5 to -10 should certainly retake. In your case, well, depends on what you'd do in the interim. 3.1 + 170 + ED = NW (if WE), from what one hears. I'm riding my cycle and if I get the acceptances I want at 170, I'll go. If not, I'll put off and take for the third time while collecting more WE. Good luck deciding. Dreams don't die from one set back; part of this whole process is figuring out what it takes to enable the dream.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:15 am

Peg wrote:

If you have lost your faith in God and turned to atheism because you ONLY scored in the 96.7%ile, then I would say yes, you need help beyond better LSAT prep.

mountaintime

Postby mountaintime » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:27 am

this is my dream / 3.1 gpa, lol

Postby 2014 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:33 am

Poor KU, you arbitrarily shat all over them in your OP.

As you can see from my username I was gung-ho on applying this year and my 168 in October pretty well stopped that because I couldn't get into any schools that I wanted to with my relatively low GPA. I retook in December, improved sufficiently and will apply early next cycle.

You will get blanked in the T14 if you apply this year and will waste a lot of money in app fees, that I guarantee you. Just spend a year working, traveling, or doing a post grad degree and apply next year with a stronger application and a retaken LSAT.

NZA

Postby NZA » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:39 am

If OP's post count was below 15, I would've screamed, "TROLL!"

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”